1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Thanks for the update, the Major's character seem to grow with the series and it will be interesting to see how they touch on her back-story.

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Finally caught up with all of Fairy Tail... And they didn't even complete the arc!! Argh... I'm too frustrated to move on to the next show cause there's no end!!!

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Haven't started Fairy Tail but it's still ongoing on manga.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Wow! congrats! If I see the episode list go into the double digits and I'm not already watching the show, I don't even bother; too daunting a task.

What's the next anime on your list?

5. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

You watched all 175 episode in less than a month?! Congrats! Wish I could do that, but I don't think I can marathon a show that long.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

TRIPLE

7. Invisible Fan

If I ever got a filler list (40%?) for One Piece, that'd be a triple digit anime show I'd watch.

8. Hayesfan

Yeah it took me about three weeks.. I don't sleep much :) plus they are short. I had to go read the manga to see what happens next. I hate that the arc wasn't finished.. but then realized it isn't even finished in the manga yet... so I'm wondering if that is why they "took a break" from the anime and are supposedly showing reruns.

Now I am watching Lovely Complex per AtheistPreacher's suggestion. It's a short one with only 24 episodes. After that long marathon of Fairy Tail I needed something with a limited number of episodes.

I think I will do Elfen Lied after that.

9. Invisible Fan

Elfen Lied is a disgustingly violent fanservice show. I totally forgot that I watched it several years before until I started piecing together that I did after the grisly and memorable rage-p*rn 1st episode.

Of course, I watched the rest of it to remember what happened...but I definitely remembered how the slow execution and mediocre characters were why I forgot I watched it. It has it's moments but it's popularity is totally about the shock value.

Personally, I'd start with Eden of the East, but Elfen Lied is one of those talked about series that an anime fan would watch just to see what it's about.

10. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

I would put clannad over elfen lied.

I don't necessarily agree with what invisible Fan says about it though. There was only one mediocre character I could think of. Everyone else had a good back story (which are the best parts of this anime, knowing everyone's past). Story was great knowing that they were only able to make 12 episodes that left an open ending due to the fact that the manga was still ongoing. May seem a little vague, but I didn't want to spoil anything while not trying to deter you from watching elfen lied.

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I warned you in the other thread! lol

They are just taking a break from it though and the show will be returning. The anime was getting too close to the manga, which is still in the same arc and just finished the tournament a couple weeks ago (and has really improved lately). Instead of doing a huge amount on awkwardly placed filler, they're letting the manga build a gap while airing reruns. It's similar to what happened previously with Inuyasha (and currently happening with Bleach), except, of course, Fairy Tail will be coming back for a run longer than the 25 episodes that The Final Act was.

12. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Yeah, they really should make a condensed version of the show. I reccomend watching 1-2 episodes a day. If you even watch 2 a day, 14 episodes a week is pretty good pacing. Skip all the fillers, and you can get caught up relatively easy. Or, you could just watch it on TV. Its starting on Toonami soon.

13. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

It's starting on episode 207 on toonami though

14. Invisible Fan

I think what spoiled the series was the typical whiny and excessively annoying female characters (more like caricatures) and a mostly boring protagonist. They flesh them out later decently, but i try to avoid anime with those kinds of character personalities

15. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

True. I'm sure there will be some kind of recap though, don't you think?

16. Hayesfan

Thanks RR14 and Invis for the recs on Elfen.. I may have to move one of those other two up on my list. The fanservice stuff doesn't bother me, but hey I am a girl, so they aren't as fun for me ;)

I'm almost finished with Lovely complex (stayed up way to late last night to watch half the episodes) it is cute... and I am like exactly the same height as the girl and totally felt her pain :) So it's been a fun quick watch.

probably won't start another until next weekend - I have basketball and all the shows I skipped the last two weeks to watch Fairy Tail this week.

Also, yall mentioned toonami? what provider do you get that on?

17. Beezy

Beezy Member

Toonami is the Saturday night anime on Cartoon Network. There is a Funimation channel. It's 1484 on Uverse but you have to have the HD premium tier upgrade ($7 a month iirc).

18. Hayesfan

Thanks! I will have to see if I still get that network. I did have it with directv but I haven't tried to find it on my current cable provider. I know we didn't have Funimation on directv - at least I didn't.

19. mikennite

mikennite Member

Does anybody recommend any good sports anime? I've finished Major and it is a pretty good anime. Just kinda wished they continued the series more.

20. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Ever watched Slam Dunk? :grin: Major is definitely a good anime. I was also watching Prince of Tennis when I was a kid :p. Try also Hungry Heart for football.