1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tokyo ghoul s3 is in setup mode right now.

I read the manga for what should've been season 2 in order to remind myself what happened, and it's too bad it wasn't animated. A lot of the psychological horror bits are lost in animation, so it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out. It should be great if it holds up to the source.

I liked it because it doesn't take itself seriously. The absurdity reminds me of the book Catch 22.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It took me a while to give it a chance. I assumed it was gonna be some kind of lame moe garbage.

It somehow manages to make its premise work. On the surface it plays like a straight military drama, but the fact that a ruthless 9 year old girl is the villian protagonist is always there, so it's serious, but not serious at the same time. Again, it's something only an anime can manage to do.

3. omgTHEpotential

Just finished the Dragon Ball Super. It was a bit boring for a big part of the series, but the last 10 episodes were fire. Though the writing in general felt pretty lazy and unimaginative... And at times very obvious, straight-forward:

Villain: Haha, surely you can't possibly win now!!! No chance!
    *Villain gets owned*

P.S.:
    Why not call the show Dragon Ball Ultra to tie it all together? Or just call that power-up Super Instinct, not Ultra Instinct.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I can't believe how good of a series My Hero Academia turned out to be.

I enjoy some shonen battle animes, but they are rarely well done dramatically. That's what this show was in it's first season, entertaining but nothing special and Midoriya was your typical annoying b**ch MC for most of it, but season 2 and 3 have been amazing.

This show has ended up being the total package, it's the Terminator 2 of anime, completely transcending the genre.

mikus likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

patiently waiting for Attack on Titan S3

Torn n Frayed and Rocket River like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Aren't we all

I hear the New Voltron is out
    and
    I expected more from KITE in HunterXHunter
    I guess it is not over yet though . . .

Rocket River

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Voltron is so well done. Part of me wants it on TV so more people can appreciate it. But I know if it was on TV it would have been canceled by now. Thank goodness for Netflix.

I'm currently watching the Greed Island arc of HunterXHunter. There is a sh*t load of talking. So much freaking talking.. I like the action, don't get me wrong, but they even talk about the action during the fights..

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It was ok. I understand. It was meh to me. . . .I like the Chain User storyline
    Got into the next story line with the Cymera Ants. . . .
    Which I hear is suppose to be great. So anticipating the upcoming stories

Some folx here mentioned KITE
    and made it sound like an exciting character.
    so far. . .not so much

Rocket River

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

tl;dr: skip Tokyo Ghoul until everything finishes.

Tokyo Ghoul re: has been a choppy mess and I don't know how people who haven't read the manga would put all the pieces together. There were some complaints about cut corners with the final action scene, but the bigger loss is how the show glosses over the psychological bits.

There was a scene where Kaneki reveals his mom beat him just for wanting attention. Instead of filling that out, it's more like...yep he's a liar if you've been paying attention. That's a big reveal considering he went through torture claiming his mom was a saint for carrying other people's burdens but couldn't carry his. Kaneki was a weenie because of how his mom lived her life by example, right? Maybe not...

The manga isn't perfect because those same action scenes look frantic and hastily drawn, and it's easier for the imagination to fill in the blanks. I'd read it if you're into some random head****ery. The creator likes to troll his audience.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Man, I enjoyed Food Wars more than I ever expected. Such a weird concept but so damn fulfilling.

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  11. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Food is definitely a fantastic show, been one of my favorites since it first came out. Hoping the Anime never gets cut off and they're able to keep up this pace of 12 episodes a year.

donkeypunch likes this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I finally gave in last summer before season 3 started, couldn't believe how watchable it is. Blew through 40 episodes in one weekend.

13. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Where are you guys watching all these shows from?

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Crunchyroll has most of them, if they don't then Kissanime does. Kissanime pretty much has all of them for free, but I try to be a law abiding citizen who supports products I like...to a degree.

DudeWah and Genesis like this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

MHA has been ok, and I'm probably looking too deeply into it, but I feel like it's so convoluted. *INCOMING RANT; tl;dr at the bottom*

The premise is that UA is a school that has classes teaching people with 'quirks' how to either be a hero or preparing them for the future, with jobs, right?

So far, we've been introduced to Aizawa / Eraserhead, who can cancel out powers yet is apathetic towards the class. Literally the laziest teacher, in the classroom. Then you have All-Might, who, despite being the GOAT, is just not a good teacher. At all. And...that's it.

Are there just 2 teachers at UA, or something? WTF? Aizawa and A-M seem to oversee everything at UA. Besides the mole principal, Present Mic and Recovery Girl, does anyone else work there?

So A-M gives One for All to Deku, and proceeds to teach him NOTHING about how to wield the power. Deku keeps overusing it, breaking limbs continuously, and not once did All-Might stop to think, "well sheeeeit. Maybe I should teach the kid how to properly do stuff." I mean, with all the chastising that Recovery Girl does, A-M surely will wisen up, right? Nope. It's up to Deku using trial-and-error to figure out how to properly use 1-4-all. lolwut.

You had the arc at USJ in which they were attacked by the villains. And after the kids had to be saved by the actual pros, you would think that there would be more of a focus (moreso than ever) on teaching the kids how to use their quirks to fight villains. But no. Instead, we get a sports festival that the kids need to go through, to advertise themselves so that they can become sidekicks to pros. And then, right after the internship phase, we're introduced to, quite literally, a murderer whose sole goal is to murder heroes...one who Iida, a student who is still in school, goes after. Because Stain paralyzed his brother. And instead of admonishing Iida, Todoroki and Deku, all 3 just get a slap on the wrist by the freakin' police chief. The convo was literally "I'm sorry you guys can't get credit for this. Y'all are still great heroes, though."

Anyway, fast forward to the most recent episodes, with A-M unfortunately exposing his true self to the world. And then stepping down as #1. And then the conversation with Deku's mom, asking her if he could stay on as his teacher.

And Deku's mom says YES? What. The. Eff. Again, A-M has shown zero ability to teach a student. And if he could teach anyone, it'd be the student who has the same power as he had. But no. He can't. And not only that, Deku has been in wayyyy too many life-or-death situations, as far as a student goes.

I'm all caught up with the anime, and I haven't read the manga at all, so this post is purely anime-driven. And because it's an anime, I'm more than happy to turn my brain off and just enjoy MHA. But it gets so ridiculous sometimes.

tl;dr MHA is a fun anime...if you can turn your brain off.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes you are expecting too much from any hero show... ever.

Good guys have to be the rule following good guys, and something has to happen to put them at risk for the sake of plot, it's a story as old as the genre itself. If that bothers you than the superhero genre isn't really for you.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

I can't expect logic from a hero show? Even a tiny bit?

When did I say stuff shouldn't happen to heroes, in order to advance plot? When did I say good guys shouldn't be the rule-following good guys? Maybe you missed the part where I said I was caught up with the anime? If the show wasn't for me, I wouldn't have spent time watching the show, and would have given up much earlier.

Honestly, did you even read any of my post before coming to the flippant conclusion that an entire genre isn't for me?

From your posts about MHA, it's clear that you really love it. So I'm sorry if I touched a nerve in pointing out some of, what I consider to be, the headscratchers of the anime.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes, when you question logic in any super hero show, it's an unrealistic expectation

Why hasn't Superman made more of an effort to deal with literally the only substance that can harm him, and why is so much always available. How many time has the Joker escaped and killed somebody etc.

Narrative stupidity happens constantly in the genre for the sake of getting the confrontations they want. It just seems strange to go on a diatribe that you could do for any show/movie in the genre.

I guarantee when the next Marvel movie comes out you could do the same thing.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  19. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Let me see if i can answer each paragraph lol.

Teachers: Since we only get a look at classes 1A and 1B we only get to mostly see those teachers. Aizawa and Vlad King who was at the forest training program. There are other teachers that work for the school, but isn't mentioned what classes they teach or department of the school they work in. Other teachers are Thirteen, Midnight, Snipe, Ectoplasm, and power loader. Here's the wiki on that: http://bokunoheroacademia.wikia.com/wiki/U.A._High_School

You got me on All might teaching deku more. Gran Torino has seem to teach him more about one for all than he has aside from strength training at the beginning.

I think they had to continue on with the sports festival to keep up appearances with media, the general population, and the villians. If they had cancelled it, it would look bad in the sense that villians were affecting them. They wanted people to think that they still had everything under control. That's why the forest training arc was them being taught to use their quirks better.

Iida, Todoroki, and Deku only got a slap on the wrist because the fact that it didn't reach media attention. It all became a cover up since the media gave credit to capturing stain to Endeavor and other heroes or else they Would have been immensely punished and UA would take even more heat from people. Better to cover it up and thank the kids for their heroics that the alternative. rewatch this scene again:

That's my take on most of what you said, but i'm a fan of the show and you hurt my feelings so i had to reply :p

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's all good! I just really like this anime too, which is why I was so passionate about my perceived lowlights. I mean, I get it - people have quirks in this anime, so I probably shouldn't be bashing (too much).

Basically binged it on a recommendation from a friend, since Food Wars is done, presumably for the year.