1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I haven't watched the last 2-3 episodes. Is it that bad? The Black saga seems somewhat interesting but the episodes that there's no fighting are very meh. Somewhat on topic I'm actually hyped for the new Dragonball game. Will be the first Dragonball related game I'm going to buy in like 10 years

2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

And yes sir, when Mob hit 100% that's was some cool ass $hit. I love the trippy ass animation

3. mikus

mikus Member

I guess Subaru took an episode to get his head right. I agree Rem is the ultimate ride or die waifu. I want to see what changes he's going to make in how he proceeds from here. He can be quite savvy in this game when his head is right, we already saw that much earlier in the series.

Food Wars was cool, but we really didn't get much, and to go back a couple episodes, am I the only one that didn't think those burgers sounded all that tasty? I'd think I'd go with a Lankford's instead, lol.

I liked this Days this week. Now the first minute of the first episode is coming into shape. They are playing Saku High(probably in the finals) and that #7 guy in the beginning is the captain of the team that we just met on the subway.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It isn't bad, it's just so disappointing. so so disappointing. GT did more character development in the first 2 episodes than Super has done in 50 episodes. I thought this Black Saga was going to show me something. Just more of the same garbage (so far).

5. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

That turtle burger with turtle blood didn't look and sound too appetizing lol. I can't recall what the bun was made of. It looked like a white omelette souffle that soma was making in season 1 with a patty and lettuce. I think the most appetizing was the megumi and ryo's ramen.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think you should rewatch DB and DBZ and look at the bigger scale. Dragon Ball has always been 90% filler and three episodes into the Black arc there's not much to see obviously. Remember, Frieza saga was basically 20 episodes of spaceship+training+looking for the balls on Namek until anything happened.

What I like most about DB Super is the comedy aspect, the humour has been outstanding and much better than in DB and DBZ. Beerus and Whis have been great additions to the cast and really add another element.

Looking at the overall episodes this far, I think they have mostly been comedy and now with the Black saga we should see a more darker tone, similar to DBZ.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

spoiled for unexpected rant...

Super hardly has filler. Filler isn't the problem with Super. I wasn't annoyed by the filler in DB or DBZ since it added to the tension of the show and events. Super has Zero tension. Zero Stakes.

Goku and Vegeta are so ultra powerful, they don't even go SS Blue to fight. They simply go SS2 to start for the LOL's. They are so ultra powerful, there is no incentive for anyone else to try and get stronger. Why should I care about the future or the earth when Goku can fight on equal footing with all the enemies at a fraction of his power? Goku and Vegeta are simply training to get stronger than Whis. They should take these cats off the board like they did in DBZ and let the other characters struggle to find a way.

I wouldn't care about any of the stuff I mentioned above if we got to see what everybody else was doing. Since DB, there has been an evolution of story and characters. The story has expanded to the point where it isn't only about Goku anymore. We are with this guy way too much now. I want to see what Krillin, Piccolo, Trunks, Goten, Gohan, etc are doing.

I don't like the humor as much as you do; Goku is ultra goofy, ultra child-like in this series. But that isn't the problem with Super either.

The animation isn't very good, the fights aren't very fun, The plots are pretty weak.

I agree, Beerus and Whis are great characters because they are so powerful. I really like how they react to the universe since they are already at or near the top. Having them on the sidelines just watching, not caring, and eating is funny. They are a built in power gauge for new characters.

I don't care if Super is light in tone. I like these characters enough to not care about the tone. I feel at every turn the characters have been misused or not used at all.

Hey, but you're right, I gotta look at the bigger scale. Super only really started episode 30-ish after the retelling of the movies. So, there have only been 20-ish real episodes. it could get better, but nothing says it will right now.

Real Talk: I'm enjoying the fan made YouTube series, Dragon Ball Absalon more. And that s#!t looks like it's been animated by dirt and gravel.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly...I'm done with super...it is one of the trashiest turds to come out of something so successful.

I also don't understand how they can be so ****ty with the animation. Why is the 2nd highest grossing anime of all time given ms paint level animation? Nothing seems linked together or even at stake. Its a bunch of filler B.S every episode with no emotional collection. Toryama should be ashamed honestly.

9. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

Not sure if this anime has already been mentioned but I'm currently watching Alderamin on the Sky

1) MC reminds me of the lead guy in NGNL but a little less OP (which makes it a bit more realistic)
    2) World reminds me of GATE with both medieval as well as modern arms
    3) Madhouse production

Just finished the 6th episode on kissanime and it's looking good so far.

10. joesr

joesr Member

Alderman is one of the better animes for the summer seasons. Mob Psycho is alright and I plan on checking out 91 Days. I heard Orange is good if you like romance type animes.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/ho...rowing-its-grand-opening-this-weekend-8676957

Houston's Only Anime Store Throwing Its Grand Opening This Weekend

"Ooples Anime, which bills itself as Houston's only store to focus solely on anime – Japanese cartoons – will have its grand opening this Saturday, from 9 a.m. to midnight, at its Greater Inwood location. And Houstonians are clearly more than ready to get their anime on: On the event's Facebook page, more than 1,000 people have said that they're “going” to the grand opening, while nearly 5,000 have indicated that they're “interested.”"

Sounds like something this thread could support

Rocket River

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

So what's up guys?

Any "action/adventure" shows that are currently good aside from Alderamin on the Sky?

Things seem to be slow at the moment.

13. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Not much new for me. sticking to the shows I been keeping up with. Still need to find the time to start alderamin

14. mikus

mikus Member

My current list is:

Re:Zero
    Berserk
    Food Wars
    Days
    Orange

So outside of Re:Zero, no real action/adventure here right now. You'd have to have followed Berserk before to be into this new show and to be honest, I'm not that impressed with it so far. I want to start Mob Psycho 100 and 91 Days but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Alderamin seems like your normal action/adventure, but I've watched so many of them that I feel are just ok(Magi, 7 deadly sins, etc). I might wait to watch it.

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yeah same here as you two.

Actually my list is exactly what you mentioned minus Berserk but added Alderamin. I watched Berkserk in the past, but it's not really my thing.

I tried watching an episode of 91 days but it did nothing for me. I watched every season of Peaky Blinders (yeah not an anime) in the last 3 years and that set too high of a bar for me as far as "gangster" shows ~1920. I just couldn't get into 91 days.

16. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.

I got so bored lately that I rewatched all episodes of Noragami 1&2 over the weekend. Still pretty epic.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Re:zero has been the only thing I've invested in, so I've started catching up on the Netflix shows (stranger things, peaky blinders) :D

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

One punch man is awesome

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I gave Re:Zero a try after reading good things from this thread. I started on Saturday and have binged up to the episode where they fight the White Whale. I like it a lot.

The Groundhog Day trope is done well. It's different from Groundhog Day/Edge of Tomorrow in that it resets after a few days of Subaru building up relationships, allowing more growth in those relationships than one day does. That makes his despair and pain worse when he loses it all from an excruciating death after building it up. It's understandable how he gets so broken over time.

I think I'm at a good stopping point now until the series is finished in a few weeks. This is a series that is probably better binge watched. Those cliffhangers are brutal.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sorry if already mentioned but all the Robotech stuff on Amazon is awesome -- this was the cartoon of my youth.