1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andy Katz Top 30

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Greg#3, May 16, 2002.

1. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/story?id=1382353

Caron Butler at #3 is the highest I have seen him rated by anyone thus far. Yao Ming has too many ? marks to be the best player in this draft at the moment.

Jay Williams will be good in the NBA but I don't think he has the potential of a player like Baron Davis or Franchise because he's not overwhelming athletically. Playing at Duke, he has been able to maximize his talent under Coach K and after some players get a few years under pro coaches to improve their "basketball skills", I think they will pass Jay Williams in terms of talent.

Butler and Gooden both possess a strong desire to win, which can be seen through their leadership and the effort they put into rebounding. Q. Woods is #10 on the list and I'm pretty sure that Katz knows more about his game than anyone at this site, so for now, I will trust his opinion.

#1 Greg#3, May 16, 2002
    Last edited: May 15, 2002
  2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I am fast coming to the conclusion that I could be happy with Butler, Gooden or Dunleavy with the Rockets first pick (assuming 3 thru 6). Each has their own set of +'s and -'s (question about true height for Butler, a possible glut at PF with Gooden and Jr's alleged lack of foot speed, etc.). None of the three is flawless, but IMHO any of the three could make a contribution immediately.

For the second pick (which I don't think they'll keep but that's another story), I see a real possibility for either Hilario, Haislip, Stoudamire or Marcus. Haislip is a lot less likely with Gooden.

Man, I can't wait for the individual workouts and trying to sort through the Rockets media spin. :)

3. Greg M

Greg M Member

Does Gooden add that much more to the team compared to KT or Mo? I don't think it's enough for the Rockets to pick him with the #5. He's good but he's not a Brand, Webber or Sheed. I fail to see how he would be what this team needs to get to the next level.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Those guys are hard to spot, aren't they?

Brand is with his second team Sheed with his third (?) and Webber with his third as well. Brand's trade to LA was the only one that had anyone scratching their head.

Somebody else's Top 5 pick may be our long-term solution...

5. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gater, I think I am about a quarter step behind you. All three are quality players, excellant chance one will be available, not to risky, and each will find a way to contribute to their team.

6. Greg M

Greg M Member

I dunno. They're not that hard to spot. Webber and Brand were the #1 overall picks. Any <i>intelligent</i> franchise would have held onto them unless they're getting a player in return like Duncan, McGrady, Kidd or Shaq. Unlike Washington, GS and Chicago, Orlando made what looked to be a good deal at the time in trading Webber for Penny and picks. Back to Gooden, I just don't see him ever playing up to the level of those guys. I don't see any merit in a team taking him that high when they already have a glut of 4s.

7. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Webber was the number one pick, but I don't remember him having a lot of success early on. I am shooting from memory here, but wasn't he always making excuses. First the wrong team, then he had to have his college team mates, then it was Nelson was a bad coach.

In fact, even now I think a large part of his success is being on a real good team. Sacramento was pretty potent when Webber was injured at the beginning of this year. If Webber had signed with Houston or New York, I don't think he would have done as well as he did. Additionally, both of those teams could have still missed the playoffs with Webber.

Going back to his early years, I am not saying Webber sucked, but he was fairly standard starter and that is poor for the number one pick. If I recall two teams traded three number ones to get him, and I suspect both regretted it.

8. Greg M

Greg M Member

Any rookie who puts up 17.5 pts, 9.1 rebs, shoots 55% from the field, passes the ball and blocks over 2 shots a game should be kept. IIRC, Webber was criticized for not taking the Bullets to the playoffs after they traded Googs and picks to GS for him. So who was on that team? All I can remember is Muresean and Juwan. I believe Calbert Cheaney was the starting SG. Not exactly world beaters outside of Webber. Bottom line, Webber can put up numbers on any team. Back to my original point, Gooden is not that good. If he puts up comperable numbers to Webber's rookie season, than I'll...I'll...I'll stop talking about ballet ;)

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Webber was very impressive as a Rookie. Wasn't he the first and only rook to total 200 assists, 200 blocks, and 200 steals in a season? I may be wrong, but his rookie #'s were impressive. He was just immature.

Brand is a 20/10 guy. Enough said. Chicago made a mistake. If I were their gm, Jordan would still be on their team.

Wallace, athletic freak. HIgh intensity. He has not been a bust.

All 3 are better than Gooden and will remain better than Gooden.