1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andrew Bynum or Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 17, 2012.

?

Do you prefer Andrew Bynum or Dwight Howard?

1. Andrew Bynum

114 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. Dwight Howard

111 vote(s)
    49.3%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

According to rumors we have a legit shot at acquiring Dwight Howard with a direct trade with Orlando or getting Andrew Bynum with a three way trade between Rockets, Lakers and Orlando. So who do you prefer and why?

Andrew Bynum:
    Age 24
    Height 7'0"
    Weight 285 lbs

Dwight Howard:
    Age 26
    Height 6'11"
    Weight 265 lbs

Why Dwight Howard? Becuase he is the best center in the NBA. Last season he averaged 20.5 ppg, 14.2 rpg and 2.1 bpg. He is a three time Defensive Player of the Year and has led his time to the NBA finals.

Why not Howard? Because he does not want to be here mainly. Also his back is a question mark although there is no reason to believe that it will not heal to 100%. And there is the little thing about him destroying the Magic and getting a coach and a GM fired.

Why Andrew Bynum? If Howard is the best center in the NBA then Bynum is clearly the 2nd best center. Bynum is two years younger at 24 years old and is just now starting to enter his prime. His stats last season while not as good as Howard's are impressive as hell, 18.7 ppg, 11.8 rpg and 1.9 bpg. Most importantly Bynum has indicated he would be willing to play in Houston.

Why not Bynum? Just like Dwight has issues with his back, Bynum has had issues with his knees as well as maturity issues.

Personally I would prefer Andrew Bynum, the guy is a real beast. He has not yet entered his prime and at just 24 years old he is two years younger than Howard. While I would be will to risk a trade for Howard I would much prefer the guy that I think Daryl Morey can sign to an extension the day he trades for him.

2. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

I know Bynum still has a long way to go to be as good as Howard but he is the second best center in the league and only 24 years old. How do you guys feel about him? Would you rather have Bynum over Howard? Would you be willing to do a 3 way trade with the Magic and Lakers to get Bynum if it means making the Lakers even better?

Here are the pros and cons of having Bynum over Howard.

Pros:
    1) Bynum has said that the Rockets are one of his three preferred destinations. So he will most likely stay unlike Howard.
    2) He has just had a career year and has remained pretty much injury free last season.
    3) The Rockets will likely give up less assets for Bynum than for Dwight.
    4) He is 24 years old so he is younger than Howard.
    5) He is a douche but in my opinion he is a better person and less of a drama queen than fake nice guy Dwight.

Cons:
    1) Howard is flat out better.
    2) Bynum has an injury history. However, maybe he will be able to stay healthy like last season? Also Dwight has a herniated disk. Dwight has remained healthy for pretty much all of his career but this is a pretty serious injury.

In my opinion the pros outweight the cons. Who do you guys prefer?

3. The Stig

The Stig Member

Howard. ONLY if he signs an extension with us and doesn't have chronic back problems. This is solely because he's a better defensive presence around the rim and can draw other superstars into playing for Houston.

Bynum, I think has a better offensively arsenal but like you said, maturity issues and a surgically repaired knee are the only thing that's bugging me. I think Bynum is good defensively but doesn't have that defensive presence that Howard has. Also, don't think Bynum can bring other stars to Houston...

So I'll go with Howard

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Andrew Bynum.

He's willing to stay long term, and would mesh better with our young promising rooks.

5. QazQay

QazQay Member

Yea guys, I'm sure CP3 would definitely be more likely to sign here when we have Bynum as opposed to Dwight.

Seriously, whats wrong with Clutchfans? Always complaining about not having a superstar, but not willing to take a chance on a legit one with Howard and would instead play it safe with a borderline star in Bynum.

6. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

The reason people are so reluctant to get Howard is because he has strongly indicated he will not sign an extension. In fact, last season during the whole opt-in opt-out fiasco, he opted into his final year of his contract with Orlando because he heard he was going to be traded to Houston. Opting in was the lesser of the two evils. Bynum, on the other hand, not only allows us to acquire the 2nd best center in the NBA who has actually said he'd like to play here, but also means we do not have to completely gut our team at a possible one-year rental.

1 person likes this.
  7. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Is this a joke?

8. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Bynum is Plan B if we can't get Howard. Howard is better at pick n roll w/ Lin than Bynum. I think Bynum is kind of slow in pick n roll.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I want the guy who's two years younger, wants to be here long-term, and isn't coming off of major back surgery.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't care, I will be thrilled to get either one of those guys as long as we keep at least three out of our big 4 rookies + Parsons.

Howard has been the better player in the past, but Bynum is younger and fits better with the current group of Rockets players as a result

Howard has been more durable in the past, but Bynum was healthier last season and is healthier right now

Howard is less likely to sign an extension but a higher reward if he does, Bynum is more likely to sign an extension but will probably not be as good as Howard in the next 5 years

It's a toss up.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Addendum: When I said "three out of our big 4 rookies plus Parsons" I meant three out of the FIVE TOTAL (meaning I'm cool with trading Parsons as long as we only trade 1 more guy from that group)

12. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

as for who is the better player, definitely Dwight. as for who i want to be a Houston Rocket, Andrew Bynum.
    but we can't aquire Bynum through trade, he has be an offseason signing in 2013. Bynum has already stated that he wont sign an extension, even if he is traded. He will test his value in free agency and then choose which team he would like to play season. that being said, i would much rather have Bynum than Howard.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

When I voted the poll was tied at 19. SMH...

14. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

Let's keep all our young guns and then sign either Dwight or Bynum straight up next year. Not sure about Howard on three different fronts right now.

15. ronaldo89

ronaldo89 Member

neither one... Let's go after DeMarcus Cousin, and Andre Iguadala

16. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

I don't really care who we get as long as we get one. I think we've cycled through just about every center possibly coming to Houston in the last 2 years or so and now we're talking about acquiring #1 or #2 best center in the league?? Nice move Morey!

1 person likes this.
  17. jman7373

jman7373 Member

THIS.

18. Raven

Raven Member

Especially if it means we can keep Lamb.

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The complication is that us getting Bynum means the lakers get Dwight, so how are we going to beat them any time in the near future? How much do we have to give up for Bynum vs Howard? Bynum isn't exactly the image of maturity either, and has had his own injury problems.

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Dwight is clearly better, but either is fine by me. When you're contemplating between the best and second best center, you take what you can get.