1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Andre Miller wants Max; Cavs might trade.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WoodlandsBoy, Feb 1, 2002.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

NugzFan did I strike a nerv with you or what? :eek: McDyess will be 26 this year since he was borne in 74. At least that is what his profile at NBA.com said. You don't like me? I think will go shed a tear. A nuggets fan on a Rockets fan board does not like a Rockets fan booohoooo. If you don't like oppinions that are biased towards the Houston Rockets then you may find yourself suffering from migrains if you continue to read this board.

BTW you said Miller was better than Cat, Reef and as good as Brand. I say he still needs to prove it. Reef is an all star player and Brand should have been. So thats why you got my all world comment.

Concerning Eddie Griffin I consider him untouchable since I think he is a player with elite hall of fame talent. When his career is done I think people will include him in conversations with Barkley, Malone, Duncan and McHale as the greatest Power Forwards of all time. That is my oppinion and only time can prove me wrong.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

;)

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

-
    ________

Just thought you might like a little help in math class Crash !

;)

DD

4. crash5179

1. I don't think there will be a significant improvement in Cats game as far as what he can do with the ball. The improvement I think we will see will be in his decission making as he continues to mature. I have the same basic oppinion of McDyess. As far as learning new ways to score, rebound or play defense I think both players will only improve a small amount from here on out.

2. If you had to win right now taking McDyess would absulutely help more than Eddie. The question you need to ask is can McDyess carry you to the promissed land like Dream or Moses Malone did? I say no. Would he be a valuable peice of a championship team? Hell yes McDyess is a terrific power forward! Now does Eddie have the talent to carry a team like Dream or Moses Malone did? I think he does. No he is not ready to do it yet but in a few years I think he will be MVP material. I just don't think you even consider trading someone like Eddie unless the person you get in return almost ensures you a trip to the finals. I know everyone does not share my high oppinion of Eddie but thats my oppinion and I am sticking to it.

3. I would not wan't to trade Cat for Miller. If we traded for Miller I would prefer using a draft pick or two plus what ever scrup players it took to make the salerys work. Reef and Brand were had for high draft picks last year and I do not think Miller is better than those two. NugzFan can't change my oppinion on that. I also like Nike's idea of just waiting until the off season to see who is available. I would take Baron Davis in a heartbeat over Miller if I could get him. Of course I think the Hornets would be stupid to trade Davis. I would like to see Miller(or similer pg) playing the 1 with Francis at the 2 and Cat comming of the bench or playing the 3rd guard in the 3 guard sets. It could be like Thomas, Dumars and Johnson back in the late 80's and early 90's. That was a great trio.

5. crash5179

Damn I hate it when I forget to use my toes! I guess its to late to edit my post so enjoy the laugh :p

6. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

ah damnit. comeon man. why didnt you let me have that one! :)

ill get a nuggets complement outta you guys eventually...

7. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

fair enough.

8. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

no no, its not that at all. dont me wrong man.

i just dont like you. the board is great.

reef didnt deserve it. plus he didnt have to go up against the amazing east guards. brand deserved it too.

elite hall of fame? at 19? as a rookie? after like 30 good games? i see. ok, well when you decide to come back to earth with the rest of us, let me know. we can go get coffee or hang out or something.

hey, could ya send me a postcard?

9. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

lol. thanks. didnt want to bother.

10. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

i can and will.

11. kbm

kbm Member

lmao. That's the funniest thing I've read in some time.

12. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

i will. thanks. :D

13. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I agree with leebigez comment earlier about some Rockets fans being overly zealous in valuing their players while undervaluing other teams' players.

Crash, have you seen Andre Miller play? The fact that he can average 10 assists with a bunch of scrubs should tell you something about his ability. From what I have seen in him, Baron Davis, and Francis, there is no doubt that miller is a better point. Hands down. Trading cat for Miller is a no brainer. The 2 spot is the most overrated position in the league. There are more guys that can play the 2 than any other position. The value of the position becomes further diluted when you take into account that many 3's can play the 2 position (and vice versa in some cases).

I would definately trade our draft pick (would have to be a top 4 pick to make it work) and cat for miller. We would instantly have the best backcourt in the league for the next 10 years.

Finally, if Griffin turns out to be good as McDyess, then I say the Rockets did all right. If you could trade for McDyess, I would definately look closely at it b/c of what McDyess has proven he can do. Ultimately, we probably don't do it, but to belittle McDyess is just plain ignorance.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Actually,

I would not trade EG for McDyess, as I believe that Mcdyess has peaked, and will only go downhill from here.

I think EG has a large upside and is already better on defense (which the Rocks sorely need).

So, I would not trade EG for Mcdyess, especially since this team is going nowhere this year.

DaDaokta

15. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

The prevalent fallacy seen in evaluating small-market players is the assumed equality/under appreciated angle taken by most. It happened with Shareef Abdur-Rahim, and it's happening in this discussion with Andre Miller.

The former, touted as being underrated for years, has been overrated imo for the past 2 or 3 years. He was so polished coming out of California, that he basically peaked skill-wise within his first 2 years.

I've watched Andre Miller at Utah and in the NBA enough to know his game and what he's capable of. If you're looking for a comparison, think Brevin Knight with prototypical size; not Davis or Francis talent.

The Brevin Knight comparison is very valid imo. Both can't shoot beyond 15-18 feet; both have above-average passing skills; both don't turn over the ball often.

So what's the difference between the two? Miller has prototypical size and can finish in the lane. That's the only distinct difference I see between the two players. You'd be deluding yourself with the small-market theory to think Miller was that superior in any other aspect of his game.

As far as his assists go, Cleveland really has no player that can create their own shot, so they run more team oriented sets, running players off of baseline screens and Miller just hits them. His assist numbers are more of a testament to the system than to his passing ability, and even if you argue that that's not entirely the case, the fact that he leads the league in assists is still misleading.

Odom....

Miller doesn't have max talent, but will likely get max money. Odom is a max talent who will likely get significantly less than max money.

I would love to get Odom. At some point in time, probably in the near-future, his talent is going to be realized. Having a third ballhandler/player to initiate the break would create so many more easy shots for this team, and he's one of the better passing small forwards in the league.

Add in the fact that it allows the Rockets to go small WITHOUT Moochie on the floor, and the deal is that much sweeter.

If the Rockets were offered a chance to facilitate a 3-way deal between Cleveland and LA, they should do it, assuming they get Odom in the deal.

#95 tacoma park legend, Feb 3, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2002
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Excellent post Tacoma - I watched Miller play at Utah almost every game his first 3 seasons (my roommate was tight w/ Van Horn so the games were always on) - he is a David Rivers/Brevin Knight type player in a 6'2" frame w/ much of his production in Cleveland simply a produce of the offensive system.

While Odom's skills fit in w/ the Rox nicely, I'm just suspect of how his personality will fit in. I'd rather have a more steady SF w/ good defensive skills. Ron Artest might be a good fit if he develops his J a bit.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Odom's personality is a non-issue. He fits in fine with the wuv-fest. He and Mobley went to college together, and are good buddies, and I remember him being friends with Steve at the rookie game.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

That's the problem I have w/ him - Steve and Cat need someone who will kick them in the a$$ when they make bonehead plays, as opposed to a homey that will just say it's all good. Mooch and Walt, for instance, are good buddies w/ Steve and Cat and despite being older, don't seem to lend any noticable knowledge/guidance to these guys on how to win games. We need to add players to the roster w/ more businesslike/just get the W oriented personalities.

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Those of you who are saying that Griffin will be better than Garnett (I've seen it said in other threads also) are really underestimating Garnett. Griffin has shown alot of promise this season, but his offensive game is in its infancy at this stage. By no means am I dismissing the possibility of him ever attaining that level, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

20. crash5179

At no time did I belittle McDyess. I have said that I think he is a great player. I also said that I think Eddie will be better. Time will either prove me right or wrong.

As I also said, I would love to have Miller on this team but I don't want to loose Cat. There are better ways to get Miller than giving up Cat and keeping our core team together. I never said Miller was not good, however I would prefer Davis over Miller because I think he is better.