1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson, Matt Schaub know Houston Texans' time is now

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rmoreno, Aug 14, 2012.

1. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...texans-time-is-now?module=HP11_content_stream

If its already been posted, lock it up....

2. 713

713 Member

After a decade of sucking ass....

[​IMG]

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Windows for them two is probably only 2 maybe 3 yrs at most

Rocket River

4. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I have a hard time believing the window can be stretched out to 3 years. Teams without elite QBs don't have extended windows. It's this year and next year. The third year will have a steep drop off if you don't have AJs replacement.

I hate to say it, but our defense will take a hit this year. I hope we can still finish top 6.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The next coupe years is when it has to happen. If we can stay somewhat injury free (which rarely happens) then we have a great chance in my opinion.

6. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

A young still developing defense can make it 3 years. remember how far we got this season without matt shaub. all we needed was a competent qb who knew how to read defenses, unlike yates. whats shaub gonna lose in three years? arm strenght, mobility? He doesnt have any of those and is still affective.

3 good years out of foster is not unlikely.

So 3 years sounds reasonable.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If we go injury-free last year, we're in the Superbowl. There, I said it.

Hell, I'll say the same thing about this year. If we go injury-free, we make it to the Superbowl. Problem is......we NEVER go injury-free. And our injuries are always to our best players.

I don't expect anything different this year. Schaub, Arian, and AJ will all miss several games each. That's just the way it is with this team/city.

8. ThaShark316_28

Lies. You don't hate to say it.

9. ThaShark316_28

The **** kind of **** is in that last sentence?

I'll say it again:

Houston is cursed by the pessimism of its fan base.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

713 be trollin.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Why? Give one reason why you expect this defense will take a hit.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I suspect AJ will be the No. 2 WR in 3 years and will be a huge upgrade over Walter. Hoping either Martin or Posey can become the No. 1.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think the defense will be great this year, but there are a lot of reasonable concerns people can have:

1. The defense played out of its mind last season and it is possible that guys never play that well again. People are human and have ups and downs.
    2. Cushing over-trains again.
    3. Injuries always a concern. Joseph and Cushing are much better than their replacements. NT looks thin.
    4. Teams have 18 weeks of game tape on how Wade uses the Texans personnel.
    5. Harder schedule. (I personally usually look at schedule adjusted stats and the Texans defense was 6th last year according to football outsiders).

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Arian Foster's window of being the best RB in football is probably 2-3 years, but he doesn't fall off the face of the league after that. With the way he doesn't take bad hits and RBBC to limit his touches, he can be effective even after his prime. MJD plays 100x more physical and he's just had a phenomenal year even with 1500 career carries.

Andre's window as a WR1 is probably around 2 years too, but even after he's a step slower, he can still be a dangerous possession receiver since he'll still be strong physically after the catch.

15. Relentless

Relentless Member

He's a 17 year old virgin. No one here takes him serious.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

I just hope Schaub and Johnson aren't our football version of Yao and TMac: "almost" but no cigar. They have a much better supporting cast, but they are short on time. I would guess that it is about a two year window. After that, the Texans will still be young, but will need a new QB and Wideout.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Andre's got another great 5 years in him. See TO and Moss.

18. ubigred

Harder schedule. The QBs we will face this season will surely takes it toll on our defense.
    Injuries

Rodgers
    Brady
    Manning
    Stafford
    Cutler

Ravens
    Jets
    Buffalo (interesting matchup)

I'm happy that we have Wade Phillips. However, those that know his track record, know its a steady decline after the first year. It is a pattern.

The ultimate nullifier (sp?)? A great QB. Matt Schaub is not.

19. ubigred

Uh No.

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

The problem was, when AJ was healthy (I believe he played all 16 games like in 2010 and 2009), the defense and team just all around sucked and could never get over the hump. His prime years were wasted while the Texans tried to get into the playoffs. As for Schaub, I'm not really worried. I think TJ will be fine if we let Schaub go after this season, or he goes down this season. It's AJ going down that really has me worried, because I don't trust the receiving group (though Jean impressed me with some catches in traffic he made and Martin is as good as advertised). I'll wait and see what Posey does next game.