1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL This is why I don't like this being bumped. I'm tired of seeing this on here. No one is ignoring his performance on Sunday we are just not using ONE game to determine a player's skill and value. I'm sure if he has a good game you'll say he got lucky or it was a bad defense or something. How about we put our money where our mouths are: if Andre Johnson plays 16 games and has 1000 receiving yards (very good for a WR2), will you stop posting here for 3 months?

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Hilton caught 7 balls for 88 yards, with a long of 30.

Andre caught 4 balls for 24 yards, with a long of 9.

Significant difference between the two of them.

Im sure things will/should get better for Andre, but he's not nearly the guy he thinks he is.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Now we are using YPC. No argument here. Andre has never been a high YPC guy, TY usually is.

I'm not sure I've read about what he thinks he is. What does he think and when did he share it with the media? Honest question.

4. rezdawg

Well, what metric are we supposed to use? We've used targets, catches, yards...is there another way to evaluate WR play? The average yards per attempt to Andre went for 2.4 yards.

To answer your question, based on his attitude while he was here and some of his interviews, he clearly thought he was still an 80-100 catch guy. Sure, he could be that guy, but the offense would suck. And Andre has never been a good redzone target, I don't care who his QB was...he's just not that guy. But somehow, he seems to continually think the team owes him something...whether its a new contract, more passes sent his way, a better QB, etc...

Well, now he has Luck...in a high scoring offense...it's his time to show everyone what he still has.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

The discussion was about targets vs catches and Hilton's percentage wasn't much better. And he is supposed to be better, he is the better WR. That was the only stat being used and my argument that you cannot use that stat for ONE game to determine if a player is done or not. If your argument is YPC then like I said no argument here. Andre's YPC is going to be nowhere near TY's or most of the top WRs in the league.

Andre was told that he was not going to start and to expect about 40 catches. That is a far cry from 80-100 catches you claim he thinks he is. And honestly, I like football players (or people in general) who think they can do more than they can. That's much better than thinking you can do less. I haven't read or heard anywhere he said anything about redzone targets or touchdowns. Maybe I missed it. Maybe I missed where he said the team owed him anything. He just thought he was good enough to start and catch more than 40 passes in a season.

6. rezdawg

The desire for a new contract...holding out from camp...unhappy with the QB/coaching changes...

Who exactly does he think he is, at this point of his career, to have such strong opinions on his pay, his coach, his play time, etc...? Obviously, if he didn't think he was a WR1, he wouldn't have made some of the decisions he made towards the end of his career as a Texan.

Sure, 40 catches might be lowballing him...but he's just not that good anymore. If he has anything more than 50-60 catches, then that's just not a good look for the offense. Now, maybe Luck can make some magic happen, but Dre got a diva-ish attitude during his final year as a Texan. He stopped trying, and that's honestly bull****.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

We never get the full story as to why he held out. Neither him nor the team said it was for a new contract. I doubt it was since he came back to play and seemed happy even without the new contract. I think he wanted to know what his role with the team was going to be and they hand-shook promised him that he would play an important role for another year. If he thought he was too good for WR2 then he wouldn't have signed with the Colts. But that's all speculation and I really don't feel like re-hashing it again. I don't have a problem with the Texans cutting him and going a different direction. Let's just stop acting like all of a sudden he is Jacoby Jones.

If you are expecting more catches from Cecil Shorts (signed as WR2) than you are expecting from Andre then we obviously look at both players very differently.

He stopped trying? Oh he's not that good anymore? If he stopped trying that means he was capable of doing more last year; which means he is still good.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Andre is still a great receiver.

If he sucks the rest of the season, I'm not wrong, it's just new information coming to light.

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Watching this Colts game I feel a little bit bad for Dre... but not really haha. His clear decline in both athleticism and production shows that the braintrust made the right decision here.

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dre still winless in Indy...

11. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

GOOD....SCREW THE COLTS. GLAD HE IS 0-2

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

AJ is a true Texan for life. He knew he didn't have it anymore so he decided to take his deteriorating skills to the Colts, and screw them out of money.

13. #1ROXFAN

#1ROXFAN Member

But Colts still have the best chance of winning the division. This divison is weak.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

:grin:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;I thought I left Ryan Fitzpatrick in Houston.&quot; <a href="http://t.co/ULzLs5lwKZ">pic.twitter.com/ULzLs5lwKZ</a></p>&mdash; AJE II (@AJEvansII) <a href="https://twitter.com/AJEvansII/status/646163069266034689">September 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Andre Johnson on the back of a milk carton</p>&mdash; Damien Woody (@damienwoody) <a href="https://twitter.com/damienwoody/status/646155888298844160">September 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Lulz!

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

AJ sharing the curse of losing with the Colts!

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hey, at least Dre did better than he did in week one....

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Luck looked very Texan like tonight but when he breaks out of that funk lookout.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

How about that boy Fitzpatrick though?

20. dragician

dragician Member

so it was not Shaub who was cursed...