1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andray Blatche available pretty cheaply

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket_4_Life, May 21, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

When 2-3 million (not necessarily in 2013/2014, but 2014/2015) is the difference on whether you can either offer or absorb a max contract in trade, yes you are "gambling the franchise" in the fact that your essentially saying that taking a flyer on Andray Blatche with a multi-year deal is worth staying out of the running for that 2nd star player.

Thats why I emphasized the point "terms and conditions." After the Rockets settle their roster for the year, it might be worth revisiting the idea, but they are far, far away from being in a position to start looking at adding complementary players.

Sorry about the Blatche excess complaint. Every 3 or 4 months it seems like the Andray Blatche fan club or the JR Smith fan club resurface or create new threads as if he's a new player nobody has thought of before. I just dont know why people are still so intriqued by this guy.

I watched a decent amount of Nets bball this year, and I can tell you that yes he did take a major leap forward especially early in the season being on a veteran team, but old habits die hard, and Andray Blatche still has old habits that might never die. Insert a player like Blatche or JR Smith on the youngest team in the NBA, and bad things will occur.

2. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

You're really only referring to Dwight in this example. Acquiring Andray would take us out of the running for Dwight. You could possibly still get Chris Paul and Andray. As stated previously, Andray fills a need and provides great flexibility. Dwight fills a need, but removes flexibility.

You have a point regarding the age of the Rox, but I also see them as being very professional. I don't see them affirming much immaturity from Blatche.

Getting Blatche for cheap puts you in a position to pickup another quality player this season, and still gives you flexibility in the 2014 free agent market (10-13 mill range).

3. fattz

fattz Member

AND trade one or two if not three power forwards for need parts - b/u

4. freeze00up

freeze00up Member

Getting Andray Blatche is not gambling with the franchise and can be done after Dwight has chosen a team. In general the big free agent picks a team before the rest start signing. If the Rockets acquire Dwight they will definitely have the flexibility to trade some of their current big men to sign Blatche (assuming we are his choice). Blatche's numbers this year have been terrific and it is not much a risk if we are paying around 3 million. The Rox could even keep two or more of the existing pfs to develop if they trade Omer.

5. fattz

fattz Member

fact Blatch is better all around player! to date and and has as much upside as Cousins.

6. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

We need stars, not pretty good players that take up our cap space. Every such guy like that makes it harder for us to get stars. Having said that, Morey might very well have his eye on some guy that can be a star that costs less, that we aren't even thinking about.

7. fattz

fattz Member

He is being paid by the Wiz for the next few years - anything we pay just helps the Wiz out. In time he maybe a star ( like Cousins but for pennies on the dollar).

An all-star team only work when they PLAY TOGETHER and get along. Dream, Drexler & Pippen or Dream, Drexler & Barkley or even Shaq, Karl Malone, Koby & Payton all HOF players most the best at their poistion. It looks good on paper -but there is only one ball though. The Heat works because: Bosh - team players were most stars are not. Wade - got hurt smaller role. Lebron - team player but is the go to. They know their roles on the TEAM.

The Pacers are good model of what I want the Rockets to be.