1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Andray Blatche available pretty cheaply

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket_4_Life, May 21, 2013.

1. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Andray turned his professional life around this season and I think he would be a great addition to the Rockets. He could start at PF while the youngsters gain experience, and, at 6'11/260, he could also backup Omer at C. He was effective at backing up Brooke Lopez this season.

If we go this route, we could easily trade a PF or two for a 1st round draft pick where we could pickup Glen Rice Jr or someone of similar caliber to backup James/Chandler.

I like this as an option over Dwight Howard. Dwight's statistically the best at his position, but I'm fine with someone like Omer that is nearly is good, who has showed that he will work hard and improve, and has a good attitude. I'm not convinced that a Dwight/Omer front-court is a great idea because they're similar players. However, Blatche can shoot the rock and score in the post.

The Nets can only afford to pay Blatche around $1.5 mill. He's worth a lot more than that. When comparing Blatche to some of his peers, he's performed much better than I wold have anticipated on a per36 basis. Check out the following comparison between Blatche and Zach, Aldridge and Griffin:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplay-index%2Fpcm_finder.cgi%3Frequest%3D1%26sum%3D0%26p1%3Dblatcan01%26y1%3D2013%26p2%3Drandoza01%26y2%3D2013%26p3%3Daldrila01%26y3%3D2013%26p4%3Dgriffbl01%26y4%3D2013&div=div_per_minute"></script>

Andray's statistically right with players making many millions more than him (not counting his income from Wizards).

In conclusion, I think he'd be a great addition to the team, and would put us near the top of the WC next season.

Here's a recent article concerning Andray and his production this season.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/nets_season_in_review_andray_blatche_vYZJD5oSr7FCH4sjlHxRBI?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Nets

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Dumb dumb dumb dumb

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

He has no reason to come here. Since he was amnestied by Washington, he's still getting paid his original contract through the 2014/2015 season. So any contract he signs will benefit Washington, not him.

I think his only motivation right now is a ring, and if he's going to play for the veteran's minimum, why not go to Miami?

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

isnt this guy dumb as rocks?

5. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

That didn't take long.

6. Fefo

Fefo Member

theres a reason why x 36 sucks , and there is usually a reason why some players dont get to play that much. Most of the times its because they are not worth it.

7. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

It didn't suck with Omer.

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Omer Asik is most likely not going to improve. He is a good rebounder who has almost no offense and is an average defender.

Saying something like we should get Blatche instead of Dwight Howard? sigh

9. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Amnestied players only receive money from their original contract? They don't get that money plus the value of new contract?

10. arjun

arjun Member

did you see him be a complete nonfctor in the playoffs?

he has some talent, but no work ethic..and no motor.

no thanks.

11. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I would rather start TJ and give Tim Ohlbrecht a chance and hope McHale goes small every chance he gets...

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Ugh, undervalued in my opinion.

Great handles, decent IQ, long and athletic to some extend.

Very good backup PF IMO

13. arjun

arjun Member

i mean..this is just the most absurd statement in the world.

If Asik improved so much from the beginning of the season to the end, being that it is his first season as a starter or playing more tahn 15mpg...what makes you think he won't improve now that he has 4-5 months to do nothing but work on his game with the great Rockets staff that specializes with big men(McHale, Dawson, etc.)

1 person likes this.
  14. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Omer's already improved upon his game this season, and he's an above average defender. sigh... Seriously, few people expected Omer to be as good as he was. What if I wanted to pickup LaMarcus Aldridge instead of DH? Would it still have been that ridiculous? Have you looked at the comparison?

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Correct. That's how it is for players who are amnestied and then claimed. Blatch is different in that he wasn't claimed by anyone, but I don't see any logical reason why he'd get additional money on top of his contractual salary.

16. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Interesting. I don't see why the media is making a big deal about the Nets inability to offer a sizable contract though - unless they're unaware of the rule.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Brooklyn is deep in luxury tax hell, and they've already used their amnesty.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well, we have a harvard pg and Parsons talks pretty well too.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Andray, or the idea?
    I don't think the idea is that dumb...

..other than the in lieu of Dwight part. Blatche is just another backup you wouldn't mind having. But you probably couldn't afford him assuming you get some other great players.