1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anderson Traded to the Braves...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stevierebel, Nov 16, 2007.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Very nice pickups by the Astros. :cool:

2. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Ah, so Im not the lone Brave here. I can only assume this means theyre planning on bringing up Joey Devine or moving Chuck James to the pen. With Dotel likely done in Atlanta, I dont like this to be honest...

3. Hammer755

Hammer755 Member

Pitching is by the club's biggest hole, so I don't see why you would move a decent young arm for a 4th outfielder. James is their 3rd-best starter (even if Glavine signs, which I expect), so I really hope they don't move him out of the rotation.

4. Major

Major Member

How does this work? He wasn't controlled by any club? Why did San Diego let him go? It seems weird he'd be any kind of good prospect while being a free agent minor-leaguer, no?

5. Hammer755

Hammer755 Member

Players who spend 6 years in the minor leagues can declare free agency if they are not added to an organization's 40-man roster.

6. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Rule 5 maybe? I dunno we picked up abercrombie off wavers and we got santana taken away from us. Maybe they just dropped him from the 40 man roster in favor of another prospect or trying to make room for free agency. The astros dropped palmiero, ransom and i think some other guy and munson got taken on wavers by the brewers at the begining of the postseason. Also i would like to add that i thought anderson caught lightning in a bottle at the end of the season and wade used a lucky hitting month to get a good deal from another team.

7. htownbball

htownbball Member

yordany was a minor league free agent. san diego brought him up to AAA from A ball to see if he was worth adding to the 40 man. guess they didnt think he was, so they let him go

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

I think Wade is setting up a big time multiplayer trade for a superstar pitcher. If we sign a 2nd baseman and get Cordero, we can throw Scott, Burke, Qualls, and a couple prospects out there for Dontrelle. Then re-sign Jennings to be the 3rd starter for $15 mill for a couple years or something like that and we're set.

9. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

drugs are bad

10. Major

Major Member

Except Dontrelle Willis and his 5.00+ ERA does not qualify as "superstar pitcher". :(

11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Hey Braves fans, was Villareal a 7th inning or 8th inning setup man?

12. BMoney

BMoney Member

Nice move! Anytime you can add solid pitching for a surplus player it's a bonus. I think they are getting some assets together to get a veteran starter, if not a superstar starter.

13. Hammer755

Hammer755 Member

He was primarily the 7th inning guy, with Rafael Soriano working the 8th before going to the closer Wickman. However, Bobby Cox is pretty erratic with his bullpen use, and Villarreal was often the first guy in from the bullpen if the starter got roughed up or injured.

Villarreal is pretty versatile - he's pitched in pretty much every situation in the bullpen except for being a closer.

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Member

He's still young. Roger Clemens' ERA fluxuated from the 2's to the 4's several times in his career.

Im not buying the burnout theory. D-train still has excellent stuff.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

Smart investors buy low. There has never been a better time to pitch an offer for Dontrelle Willis IMO.

16. Hammer755

Hammer755 Member

That's a downright terrible comparison. After his rookie year, Clemens didn't allowed more than a hit per inning, nor have a WHIP over 1.26, until he was 32 years old. Willis' hit rate and walk rate have both exploded the last two years.

17. Major

Major Member

Qualls, Scott, Burke and a couple of prospects is not really what I consider "low". The problem is that some team is going to assume they can "fix" Willis and pay out the wazoo, most likely. Hopefully, it won't be the Astros.

18. right1

right1 Member

With the Braves track record with young players, maybe they got a deal w/Anderson. What if Taveras and Anderson both hit .315 next year w/ 50 sb's and Bourn ... oh well, chances of that are pretty slim. Yordany has some tools and is young, but has an eyepopping career obp of like .285 or something, although showing signs of improvement. Villarreal can eat up some innings. Pretty good trade for each team, not that significant for either...waiting for a bigger trade involving Scott and Burke, etc. I would keep Qualls, even if Cordero was signed. Especially if we use our young arms in the rotation and don't get a #2 or #3 starter

19. Shaji

Shaji Member

willis has been in decline for at least 3 yrs now...i hope wade doesnt give up that much for him

but this one is a good trade

#39 Shaji, Nov 16, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  20. Blake

Blake Member

I like it.

The more I read about this trade, the better I feel. Glad we are addressing needs