1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andersen >,<, or = Scola?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by backwardhead, Jul 18, 2009.

1. bladebucket05

bladebucket05 Member

Scola has turned into my favorite player on this team aswell and i also believe that he will become our number one option untill T-MAC comes back. so to anwer ur question i really doubt that MOREY is trying to replace T-MAC with any useless free agent when he has rookies to sign.

WE SHOULD CALL HIM ,
    'KANGAROO HOPS" ANDERSON

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

First off let me say this is a great topic, however the thread's title is misleading as that isn't what you are asking. Everyone knows Scola as a player > Andersen, hence the low rating for your thread. Your true question is the bolded.

To answer your question we have to look at Morey's approach. A very good poster compared Morey's approach to batting average in baseball. Whether he is going for home runs or just safe hits is a different topic of discussion. But what relates here is the concept of hitting %.

With all these low risk deals, the objective is a respectable hitting %, not to get them all right. He does not pretend to be a guru who can magically turn dust into gold, even if we believe otherwise. No matter what anyone says, no one here can predict how Andersen is going to turn out. I doubt Morey even knows. What he CAN do though is do his due diligence ie. scouting, conferring with coaches etc, and hand out low risk contracts that won't cripple us if it doesn't pan out.

In the end, the measure of his success will be his overall hit %, not how any one acquisition turns out. So if Andersen flops, it doesn't really change my view of Morey. Because so far, he has already garnered a sterling hit ratio. For every Steve Francis or Brent Barry, he already has gotten us Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry and Luis Scola. And for the amount of risk he is taking, a .500 hit ratio isn't even required for success.

Others will argue that this will never get you that superstar, so the approach fails. This is false, because superstars can be acquired through trade, and this approach is only for low dollar free agent signings and low draft picks. Now if we did have the cap space for a major signing, or if we had high enough of a pick, I am confident Morey would not hesitate to go for a superstar. However so far we have not had that opportunity.

What I measure Morey's success by is the hit % of his acquisitions, while maintaining our cap flexibility. If all of a sudden there is a continual stream of failed acquisitions, or if foolish signings cripple our future flexibility, that will signal his failure. Obviously the end goal here is to win a championship, however just because you didn't doesn't mean 29 GMs failed every year.

I will say this though, with the direction Mcgrady and Yao are headed, his next task will be to acquire our next franchise player. This is obviously not going to be done through low dollar low risk moves. However this does not preclude us from our continual search for role players using his current approach.