1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

And the time to explode has come....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jerinrulz, Aug 2, 2001.

1. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

Well lets see here, yesterday when I heard about the trade, I was like ya ok, it sux that hes gone, but o well, at least we got draft picks outa it rite? Basically, I read TheCat's thread, and I bought into it. I still do, but then later last night, I watched all of the local newscasts and their "Special Coverage" of the Hakeem situation. Well the one on KPRC (CH 2), changed my whole outlook on it. No it wasn't the excitement of seeing Dominique Sachse ( although that never hurts ;) ), but it was the realization that the end of what Ive dedicated so much of the time Ive had in my short life to had come. Yes I know, the team first. We're Rockets fans first and foremost, no doubt about it.

Well, for me, its just really not that easy. Sure, Hakeem acted like a money crazed, selfish clown that wanted to prove he was still the same player of his glory days. But thats precisely the point. This man was the definition of dominance. He carried a team of no names to the pinnacle of the basketball world...
    Twice.... This is the man that reaffirmed all of the doubters out there. Fading Rocket fans had a reason to pop back up again. We're talking about a guard filling in at the center position basically. We're talking about the same guy who at a time when his pride was tested w/ the forfeit of his MVP honors to David Robinson, came at him even harder, and had one of the most legendary performances in history. There are plenty of other scenarios, but its that image that we all choose to remember. And thats when it hits you, that time is over, and its time to move on. But as long as we can remember that Hakeem was our prince and nobody elses, we'll be just fine. A true legend shouldnt have to move around too much. But I guess our story just doesnt have that perfect ending huh? Newayz, I of course wish the guy the best, and I of course will remain as big of a Rocket fan as be4. That said, I hope NBC doesnt pick up too many Toronto games this yr, cuz that would just be a reminder that I just dont need...... sorry if this bored you guyz, i juss had to let that out.....

Attached Files:

2. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

You're right ... Clide Drexler was a no-name, scrub that rode on Hakeem's coat tails to a championship. :rolleyes:

3. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

ok well besides clyde that second year, who exactly did hakeem have? how bout that first yr? clyde wasnt a scrub, but hakeem still did carry the team

4. Ren

Ren Member

Even though Clyde was a great player Dream STILL carried this team.Clyde would give us great defense and passing and usually will give you his 15-20 points,but no Dream no playoffs which means no championships!

He was everything to this team!!!

Everytime down the court no matter how we scored the basket the ball touched Dreams hands 1st and almost always the score was because of him.Either he put it in the basket himself or someone got an easy three pointer due to the double and triple teams on Dream.Sure we had somegood players on those teams but without Dream we would have been in the lottery and maybe the #1 pick both years!!!

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Without Olajuwon we wouldn't have gotten past the second round of the Western Conference.He was the main reason why we won the 2 NBA Championships.