1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

And the Astros select......

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROCKSS, Jun 5, 2001.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

Houston selected Tennessee infielder Chris Burke, the Southeastern Conference player of the year, with the 10th pick. He broke Todd Helton’s school records for career hits, runs scored and doubles, and became the school’s career leader in singles and triples.

Great pick!!!!!!!!

------------------

2. haven

haven Member

And he's a SS, too!

Anyone else think the organization is losing faith in Adam Everett's ability to swing a bat [​IMG]?

------------------
    A few years back on the Senate floor...
    Phil Gramm: "If Democrats could, they'd tax the air we breathe."
    Ted Kennedy (jumping up): "By God, why didn't I think of that sooner!"

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

3. Smokey

Smokey Member

What happened to the high school kid (Colt?) from a small town (Marshall?) in Texas?

------------------

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Member

Colt was picked already, and Burke is probably going to play secondbase in the minors because scouts think his arm isn't strong enough to play short.

------------------
    Stevierebel

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

I assume this kid is 22 or 23, but don't Ensberg and Ginter have the 2b and 3b jobs wrapped up ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

Ginter isn't quick enough to play 2b in the pros.

Damn, I was hoping they would get Colt Griffin. Kid from Marshall, TX who threw a 100mph fastball. A cool name, and a big arm.

------------------
    "My name is Harold, and I live here all alone"

7. MadMax

MadMax Member

I was a little disappointed they didn't get to pick Colt too...he was picked by the Royals right before the Astros selection. One of my closest friends lives in Marshall, and he's been singing his praises all year long. I actually saw Colt two weekends ago at the local Marshall Subway!!! Big kid!

However...if there's one thing the Astros need it's legitimate infielders who can field and hit! Everett clearly can't hit. The kid has been in the minors for three seasons now and played on the Olympic team...it's not getting any better. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure he's ultimately the "shortstop of the future" he was billed to be. Ginter will probably end up being an outfielder or a stick off the bench due to his lack of fielding ability. If we could only combine Everett and Ginter. We clearly have good young pitching...we clearly have good young outfielders. Outside of Morgan Insburg (spelling on that last name?), we have no clear heir apparents in the infield...unless of course you want to say D. Ward at first...but he's not gonna hang around for three more years waiting for Bags to retire. So I think this pick was a step in that direction.

I've also heard great things about their second pick from Miami...the Astros need a real speedy centerfielder in that huge area at Enron. One that can hit would be nice, too! I hear that's what they got in that guy.

------------------

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Astros need pitching.....to bad about Colt getting taken right before them, 100 mph fastballs don't come around very often.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

The Astros have pitching, the problem is that it is all developing in the minor leagues. What the Astro's need is pitching help now, and getting another prospect won't help in that department.

------------------
    What is daylight savings time? And if we are saving so much of it, who's got it all?
    - Mike Warnke