1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"And I said I'd love to play two guard."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moe, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

This is in the Rockets summary from the Comical. If it has been posted, my apologies.

"A year ago, Rockets guard Steve Francis said he really did not care how or how often he was used in the All-Star Game. Starting was enough of a thrill and perhaps a surprise. But this season he hopes to play a more significant role than a year ago, when he made one of eight shots.

On his way off the court last week after the Rockets played Sacramento, Francis spent a few minutes talking with Kings coach Rick Adelman.

"I just told him I didn't play much last season," Francis said. "I told him however much he wants to play me, that's fine. And I said I'd love to play two guard. I didn't do much in the game last season. I want to do better this time."

I don't post much, but if you have seen the few, you should know I think Francis playing the point the way he has up til now is a tremendous obstacle for the team to overcome. I think the most selfish thing he has done is demand to play the point, when he really, apparently doesn't understand what the position is all about. He didn't even play pg in college, yet when he gets to the NBA, he sabatoges Vancouver because they already have a decent point, then makes his way to Houston where Round heels Rudy lets him take over like the quarterback of the high school team does to the local town pump. (Whew, I'm on a roll).

Anyway, this statement that he would love to play two guard for the allstar game so he can show off better really rankles me. How about makeing the same sacrifice for the team? You know, the Rockets?

I'm sure this will piss off lots of people, and I'm sorry I don't have much time to post, but I will read the barbs and insults, so have fun.

2. AT

AT Member

Great take. That quote rankled me as well but now even more so.

This is a clear indication of Steve's:

Internalized value proposition (more so as a SG than as a PG).

Lack of team attitude.

Fixation on stats and showboating.

3. lalala902102001

I think that Steve said that because he wants more playing time in the ASG. The two reserve guards on that team are Nash and Payton, both point guards.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Nobody is holding a gun to Rudy's head and forcing him to play to play Steve at point guard. Maybe you want Moochie Norris playing 40 minutes per game? Better yet, you can buy the team, fire Rudy, and play him at any position you want...

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Hey, how is Tito M.? I thought he was supposed to be a pretty good player. I remember hearing about it when we got him, i really dont know anything about him though.

He has played 2 games, with littel time. I looked at his stats for this season, he does not have any asists, though he only played for a few mins. How about giving him a try at the PG and Stevie at the SG? or is Tito not worth it? :confused:
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tito_maddox/index.html?nav=page

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

AT, remember the quote last year that "I always wanted to be the quarterback."

Call him a PG or SG or whatever, but I (for one) can't believe he will accept not being a quarterback like Jordan, McGrady, Kobe, Pierce, and Iverson. He's just going to have to learn how to do it better. A point guard is not going to run the show on Steve Francis's team any moreso than those other SGs, unless that PG is a HOFer like Kidd or Payton. We are just stuck with having patience in him "getting it" someday. Some SGs have to run the offense to maximize their offensive threats....Steve is one of those. He'll never be an off-ball Reggie, Wally, Houston, or Ray. He's an on-ball SG who must threaten his drive, so we just have to hope he learns to use others to make his game easier and more efficient.

7. verse

verse Contributing Member

...or trade him.

that's why thoughts of moving mobley and bringing in another point guard are useless.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

HP, I never really thought about that but I think you're absolutely right.

9. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Got a few minutes.

A-Train, if I bought the team and fired Rudy, would you still be a Rockets fan?

HeyPee, Francis does seem to let Moochie run things for the most part when Cat is out. Personally, I hate to see Moochie on the floor. He hurts the team defensively, quite often dribbles way too much and doesn't add enough to compensate for those weaknesses. I really hate it when he is in with Cat and Steve.

Steve has some games where he plays really well all around, but then Satan takes over and we get high shot attempt, high turnover, no defense playin' losses.

:(

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

But why CAN'T he be a quarterback from the 2, like Jordan was? There's nothing saying that bringing in a true PG would make Francis less of a team leader. On the contrary, it would help him to achieve that goal. My guess is that Stevie and Cuttino are just so determined they can make the present arrangement work that they're not even looking at the very real possibility that it never will.

And that's where Rudy and CD come in -- it's their job to assess the talent and determine who to best utilize is to bring this team a championship. I think they're dropping the ball on this issue.

11. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Tito Maddox may be good......BUT probably too inexperienced. Too careless. He was a secondrounder. What do you expect? He won't be any better than Francis is at the point. And Moochie...>GOD. I dont' like him playing 20 minutes!

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Excellent points, HP. And I don't know why everyone is fixated on the PG v. SG label. Rudy has always said he likes players that can play 2 or even 3 positions, for purposes of versitility. The PG/SG distinction is pretty blurry in today's NBA. The same as there is not much difference between a 2 and a 3 on the offensive end. Both play the wing. You just call one of them the SF (3) because he will guard a bigger man on defense.

13. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is a good sign. Steve is figuring something out.

14. Sane

Sane Member

Replace Mobley and Moochie. Here are 2 players I'd LOVE to get:

Kevin Ollie, Backup PG
    Brent Barry, SG

Ever since last year, I've followed Kevin Ollie and he always maintains a VERY good assist to turnover ratio, while playing decent defense. Last night, the Bucks sat Cassell down for Ollie to defend Payton. Great decisions, defense, high percentage shots only. SMART player.

Brent Barry. It's been well documented, and although I'd like to have someone more athletic and defensive alongside Francis, he seems to be the best fit, considering Desmond Mason can take his place and the Sonics are rebuilding in the offseason.

15. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

What do you all think of just bringing Cat off the bench? He did it very well 2 years ago when we almost made the playoffs. Wasn't he a 6th man award candidate? Cuttino is one of my favs, but he and Steve starting and playing 35-40 mins together just doesn't work as well as I think Cuttino on the bench did. This would be especially usefull if Cat would play some point (he did okay as a rook and I think if he is the PG he would look to pass much more)to rest Steve for 10 mins and keep Moochie cheerleading.

Steve-40 mins
    Cat-30 mins (10 at pg w/out Francis)
    new 2-18 mins

16. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

hmmm... just imagining a francis - bibby back court now...:eek:

17. James23

James23 Member

steve wants to win the all-star game's MVP. most flashy guards and forwards want to display their talents(only their scoring ability) in an all-star game, hoping to be the brightest star of stars. there's nothing wrong with it because an all-star game is the ony time for guys to play for themselves. it's irrevelant; it won't hurt nor help their own teams.

18. AT

AT Member

Even if Steve is the quarterback from the 2guard position, having a quality veteran PG to start the offense will get the ball (and thus the key decision making process) out of Steve's hands 5-10 posessions a game.

That is a good thing.

A better decision in 5-10 posessions a game improves our record drastically in my opinion.

And you think Francis is a tough match up now. Imagine him running around off of 2-3 screens a set ala Reggie Miller. I'm fairly certain his offensive performance would improve.

19. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

I dont know dude, remember Tony Parker from last year, he was a rookie and inexperienced but the Spurs let him run with the position. You dont gain experience anyway by riding the bench you gain it by playing... (Nachbar will never be able to get his shot as long as he rides the bench) That being said you never know. I think he's capable. If Moochie (who I do like) can win playing time, surely Tito can ...

20. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

another rat following the pied piper ;)