1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anatomy of a Baseball Trade: How the Astros and Braves got a deal done

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Oct 20, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]Anatomy of a Baseball Trade

As this year’s trade deadline approached, the fire sale was on in Houston. An inside look at how the Astros and the Atlanta Braves got a big deal done.

Imagine telling a lawyer she’s been traded for two promising law students. Or a salesman that he’s moving from a software company in Seattle to a tire company in Cleveland. In sports, it happens all the time. To find out how it’s done, we asked Ed Wade, general manager of the Houston Astros, and Frank Wren, his counterpart with the Atlanta Braves—as well as some of their scouts and players—to reconstruct a swap they made just before baseball’s July 31 trading deadline. The process begins with Wade realizing that his slumping Astros need to unload players such as star outfielder Hunter Pence and speedy center fielder Michael Bourn to build for the future.[/rquoter]

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/anatomy-of-a-baseball-trade-10202011.html

#1 J.R., Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

^^ Just read that...curious to see who was trying to get in last minute and what did he mean by "better players."

3. Major

Major Member

Well, that's awesome. So Wade got rejected for what he asked for, then the Braves decide to offer none of their top players and Wade doesn't even counteroffer. And then someone else comes in, possibly offering better players, and Wade doesn't even listen. Brilliant!

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Edit: Agree Major.

Yeah, curious indeed. We'll probably never know though the team or "better players" being offered. On one hand, Wade didnt consider the other offer(s)?! Although, we dont know who was offering what. Oh well. Interesting read to me.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good to see Ed is doing his due diligence. My goodness.

Great find, hsf09. This is a very good read.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, all you can do is shake your head at Ed Wade. :eek: #inept

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

my god, that's so depressing.

why on earth would Ed Wade repeat any of that?

unless the astros were coincidentally super high on every single player they countered with, i'm pretty sure that i'd be willing to randomly pull a name out of a hat of the 7 million earth residents and take my chances on their negotiation skills over his.

8. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

WTH- So Ed and Frank are buddies and Ed doesn't want to risk making Frank mad and so he won't even talk to a guy who thinks he has a strong offer.

(Sigh)

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I'm in awe that he wouldn't listen to an offer after the anonymous GM told him he could offer better players (or what he thought were better players). I just don't get it.

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

To be honest, we dont know what team this is or what players are being referred to. It could be that Wade already had an idea what this team could offering and didn't agree they are better players than what he would have gotten.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Deal was already submitted to MLB between 4pm and 7pm. Wade basically told other GM that at 7pm without saying that. Probably some MLB rule about not discussing pending trades.

12. msn

msn Member

"just stay out of it."

way to cultivate your relationships there, Ed.

firing this assclown should be Crane's first item of duty.

13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Wow, just unbelievably inept.

How can he still have a job? WHY GOD WHY???

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"Braves: 1:30 p.m. Wren text message – We see Bourn valued down a level from Pence for our club. We like the run production and power of Pence, and Bourn is a run creator. That doesn’t do as much for us. That is too rich for us. Thanks, Frank.

Braves: Wren – We sat down and talked through it with our scouts and I said, [Bourn] is the perfect fit for us. If we want him, and if we want to make this deal without giving up what we consider our Big Four, we’re going to have to give up talent. At the end of the day, I don’t think there’s a better option."

Wade got bluffed and ripped off by Wren.

And conducting trades throught text message? Really? My fantasy trades are more involved than that.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

double post

#15 Mr. Clutch, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Ed Wade is simply a terrible general manager. Watching what the Texans do every Sunday and every off-season still doesn't hurt nearly as much as seeing what the Astros have become. In terms of my fandom, it's become incredibly depressing. I'm lucky to have things in my life that keep me from watching 162 games and being as invested in them as I used to be. If I was still living my previous life, I'd be seriously depressed over this team.

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Dont think Wade is a terrible GM, he has pulled off some nice deals over his time here. The Pence deal was gold, he basically got the equilvilant to what the Pads got for Gonzalez...good move.

That said, he is pretty medoicre, don't see him lasting past this offseason. His other signings have been blah and while the system has improved under his watch, not sure its running at max speed.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't disagree that he has made some good trades. The farm systems is improving under his watch. But when you weigh the Brandon Lyons, Kaz Matsui, etc., etc., deals against what he's done on the farm, it doesn't balance out. There is no logical argument to keeping him.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The truth is that the Pence and Bourn trades can only be evaluated years from now. The same time frame wrt Ed's drafts. Odds are Ed will be long gone by that time. Crane will likely bring in his own people.

Right now, both trades appear to have returned reasonable value.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Brilliantly inept !!

DD