1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Analytics and 3-point shooting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doctor Robert, May 3, 2015.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Another poster brought up law of averages. I understand that in a coin flip that the previous results have no impact on the next result. That said, a shot in basketball is not completely random, and certainly not as random as a coin flip. Therefore, if you are a 40% 3-point shooter, the chances of your next 3-point shot being successful IS NOT 40%.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

"Stop shooting 3s" is obviously not the answer. The problem I've been seeing is that our players sometimes hesitate when open in the midrange area. It's like, "Oh my, I am in the forbidden zone. What should I do?" I think if you have an M.O. of intentionally avoiding shooting the midrange, it creates a mental challenge to the shooter.

An open 2 is a more efficient shot than a contested 3. We should run plays that create open 3 but should tell the players to shoot open shots wherever they are.

3. Doctor Robert

I'm curious if moving closer to the basket helps get you out of a slump.

Obviously, the chances of the shot going in get better, but does it get you out of a slump?

Another common rule that commentators are always spouting off about is "seeing a shot go in" helps. I have not idea if that is really true, but again, I'm curious. Does just sinking one shot somehow help end a slump? Or does it just seem that way?

4. Doctor Robert

So the idea there would be... after you miss X 3-point shots in a row, or if you don't feel like your accuracy is good at the moment, move closer until you sink one, then move back out again.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

6. Doctor Robert

LOL... it seems like the Rockets do most of the time.

7. NBYNW

NBYNW New Member

What is the best shot in the NBA?

The open shot.

The secret is space. And space on the arc is much much easier to find than space from 10 feet.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Which player? the only one who seems to is josh and as good as he's been for us, he should hesitate to the point he never takes a long 2.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Nope. If a guy is a 40% shooter who misses 8 in a row, then there is a 40% chance he will make the next one. If he makes 8 in a row, then there is a 40% chance he will make the next one.

10. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Shooters can't hesitate on taking shots because when they overthink, their muscles get tight, delivery gets funky, and their shot becomes worse.

If they practice enough and have a decent percentage, they let their muscle memory take control. Same thing for FTs. You try to use the same successful shooting mechanics every time.

The only adjustment we see is if guys are missing, they try to take an easier shot--a dunk, a lay-up, a corner 3 so they see their shot going in.

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

If they can make it...

Harden took more midrange shots in Game 3 vs DAL. Brewer also is a good shot in the midrange. Ariza not so much.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I heard one of the ESPN commentators (I think) during one of our games say that McHale had told Josh Smith if you miss 2 3s in a row, then maybe try a different shot next time. If you ake 2/2 or1/2, then you can keep shooting.

I think Ariza is playing the same way, as he has been mixing up his shots more.

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

it boggles my mind when you advanced stat guys dont know why the team's 3pt shooting isnt elite. we dont have any good shooters out of harden and terry, and terry's just a 15mpg kinda guy so he wont shoot many. ariza, bev, brewer, smith, kostas, dmo and jones are all avg or below avg shooters. at least one of them has to be be above average for the 3pt offense to be consistent.

the best 3-4 teams in each conference has more than one above avg shooter who takes a lotta threes. we only have harden.

15. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

A player who shoots a 37% expectancy 3pt shot has a lot more variance than someone who shoots a 55% 2pt shot. When the 37% 3pt shot is taken it should create 1.11 points on avg, while a 55% 2pt shot should create 1.1 pts.

However, since the 3pt shot generally creates a range of {0,3} (not counting for fouls on the shot) while a 2pt shot has a range of {0,2}, the 2 pt shot is lower overall variance since the standard deviation from the average is lower than it is for the 3pt shot. The 3pt shot in this example creates a slightly greater point production per shot, but is way higher variance and means the Rockets and players like Ariza can get into some real nasty slumps or hot streaks even over the course of a few months.

16. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

nice.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's because we don't have anyone besides harden to create good 3's, for every guy with a quality pullup 3, there's 25 guys who need it to be catch and shoot

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Mostly Ariza and Beverley. They would hesitate and then either try to drive to the basket or pull back out to the 3pt line.

I saw Harden did once, and Brewer and Josh a few times maybe.

19. Doctor Robert

Mathematically, I don't think the higher variance can explain more than a couple game slump, or a trend more than about 20 shots total... right?

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The problem with this is where are you getting this 55% shot? The only place you can get a percentage that high is inside of 8 feet. It would be great if we could get all of our shots right at the basket.

If you are going to just step inside the 3 point line and take an 18 footer, that shot is 39%. That's 0.78 pts.