1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An un-American response to the Oslo attack

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HorryForThree, Jul 30, 2011.

1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

An un-American response to the Oslo attack

Latest article by Glenn Greenwald. Greenwald's probably one of my favorite writers; it's not only the positions he takes, but the principles he stands by that I admire. As for this article, I think he hits on a number of points. The only thing I'd challenge him on is volume- that America as a nation has been target of domestic and international terrorism at a far greater rate than Norway is undisputed. Had Norway seen the same number of attacks, or a rate of attacks proportionate to its size/population that mirrored ours, I think we'd see them acting very differently when it comes to national security.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I have a friend who went to Norway on vacation. He said it was the nicest, smartest, and cleanest country he'd been to, almost like a utopia. And I think this story helps prove his point.

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

One of the smartest things they did was to take a great deal of their oil revenue money and put into a sovereign wealth fund for future generations when the oil runs out. Imagine that. In the libertarian US we would just give it to wealthy stock owners to blow as they see fit as it is THEIR money and why should the government try to make them be responsible for the well being of future generations.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Having a sovereign wealth fund does not necessarily yield the results you are seeking here. An irresponsible SWF can very easily blow that money on risky investments.

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Of course it is un-American. They're Norwegian. Of course there's more truth to this statement than the obvious joke implies. That said, I ain't happy about it all, either, was a good read. Good on them thus far for having the leadership, character and fortitude (and just for being able) to have things go that way in the face of such a tragedy.

#5 CrazyDave, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ah, the libertarian US. I emit a chuckle.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I din't feel this way back then, but the US should have done nothing after 9/11 and we would be better off. 3000 lives vs the lives of millions and millions of people, you have to thing about the greater good. Trillions in debt, two wars was that cost soldiers their lives and money. Bin Laden might be dead but you think the millions of folks with no job care?

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

I don't the war on terror contributed to the mortgage crisis. We would be trillions in debt anyways. Heck we would have a deficit this year even if we axed the DoD.

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Excellent article from Glenn, as usual.

True, but the principle is far more admirable.