1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An open letter to the Rockets about filling seats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by droxford, Oct 7, 2008.

1. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

By the way, yes it does. Fan is short for fanatic, which is a person with an intense, sometimes overwhelming support of something. Are you going to tell me the guy that just goes to all the games and just sits there and maybe occasionally stands up is just as much a fanatic of the team as the guy at home in Rockets gear screaming at the TV when the refs make a bad call?

Fandom is more associated with cheering/support than giving money. So yes... even though some of us don't pay the Rockets thousands of dollars a year, we are bigger fans than the guy that just sits in the lower bowl in his suit and not paying attention. This shouldn't be an argument because by the very definition of the word "fanatic" you are wrong.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

What do you do when someone is late for the game, has a ticket and can't get in b/c someone already used their ticket?

3. rockets34

rockets34 Member

Guess we have to agree to disagree here, don't think dressing in rockets gear makes anyone more of a fan than someone else. When you pay 16K to the rockets year after year because you love them that much you can come talk to me about the definition of a "fan" etc. Obviously I love the rockets just as much as you or the next guy if I am willing to shell out that kind of money to watch them play live. Not to mention I typically attend at least 10 road games, as well as all of the playoff road games every season. Fyi, on the road I always dress in rockets gear, had beer poured on me, things thrown at me etc by a bunch of ******* jazz fans last year during the playoffs. But simply because I refuse to wear a wig or dress in rockets gear from head to toe does not make me any less of a fan than the guy at home screaming at his tv, which i frequently do as well. But i hear your frustration about some of my club section peers, but you know the best way to do something about it? Buy their tickets and you can show up and cheer in the manner you think is best, until then b****ing on a bbs about them just seems a little bit juvenile.

4. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Its not about dressing in gear or any of that ****. Fandom is about passion. A fan would never show up to a game late and would never leave early (unless something out of the ordinary happens, like work or whatnot). I avoided saying specifically "you are not a fan" on purpose, because I don't know you. You might actually BE a fan. But how much money you spend on tickets every year has jack **** to do with fandom.

Actually, I'm misspeaking a little. I don't want to sit there and say certain people aren't fans or certain people are. Everyone that likes to watch the Rockets is a fan, but just certain people are more of a fan than others.

5. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

Somebody in the Rox organization reads this stuff.

Our season ticket rep came down to our section/seats (410, row 1) and told us we were sitting in the wrong seats.

He then handed us a pair of really nice seats in 120.

Thanks for posting guys!!!! We need a thread like this before every game.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Damn.

Miguel was sitting there for a bit.

They kinda messed up the T-Shirt toss thing because they didnt have that buzzer til a bit after it.

I took some video of the t shirt toss, but I drop a few bad words, so I have to edit that out.

7. smartxtai

smartxtai Contributing Member

Hehe, an example of trying to come up with a solution first without analyzing the core issue at hand. No knock on you droxford, this is common.

Not that I know of all the real core issues but I can spit out some arguments against your suggestion.

First, your suggestion doesn't address the issue of people who hang out in the bar area instead of the game seats. Those tickets would be scanned but the seats would still be empty.

Second, if there is a a tracking mechanism, which it sounds like there is, why would your law firm or any other company care enough to take the time to use it? Who will assume this new task? Obviously this is not part of your work so are you willing to spend time outside of work hours to monitor and track this? How will you convince the hundreds of other companies to follow suit?

Again, not trying to insult here, but just offering some valid arguments.

8. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

This is a season when i think they could at least do something for the 4th quarter. Those bowl seats will not fill up in the numbers for the Grizzlies, Bucks, Clippers, etc. I know for a fact when the Celtics or Lakers come they'll show up. But for a season like this, I think they could at least let fans come down during the 4th quarter. If they're not filled by then, who is going to care, they're not going to come anyway.

9. Albert Einstain

why not replace the permanent benches with movable ones? you can move the empty ones before the games starts.

10. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I thought long and hard about this exact same thing last season and my best idea would be that, everyone that receives tickets would have a 1800 number on the back that they could call prior to the start of the game. This number would be to let the Rockets know that the person using that seat would not be able to attend the game. At which point the ticket would be available for will-call pickup to one of these: a. an honor roll student at one of the greater Houston area schools. b. active duty military personnel. or c. the rowdiest fans at previous games.

I know this idea would take a little work to do but it would reward those that may not have the means to attend a Rockets game and others for excellence.

11. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I'm doing my part in filling up seats...at least for the Home Opener. I just bought tickets for 19 friends in section 126. Can't wait! :D

12. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Or time to utilize existing technology. The season ticket holder gets multiple text message and e-mails warning that his/her seat may be released. If no response in either a certain time period or by a certain quarter, ticket is released for re-sell.

While I think it's a bit difficult it really isn't entirely unrealistic.

QUESTION: Does the Rockets' ticketing company not offer Ticket Exchange??

I've used it numerous times at Heat games and it's saved me a great deal of $$ and has gotten me some awesome seats.

In this case it would take Ticket Exchange one step further -- if the ticket holder does not notify the Account Manager that they would like their ticket up for re-sell before the game, that particular seat would be "flagged" if it's unused by halftime (or end of the 1st quarter or some other determined time).

If a prospective buyer (either looking for a seat or a seat upgrade) has interest, they would put a claim on it, then an immediate succession of notifications (e-mails/text messages) would then be sent to the owner.

Then the owner has options: 1) reply back saying they will use them, thus blocking those seats. 2) reply back giving the go-ahead to release them 3) do nothing and the "elapsed time policy" would be in affect.

The only real issue (and it could be a BIG issue) is when an owner fails to notify, his/her seats are released, and then shows up late. Some form of compensation is necessary (either free seats, or merchandise, or club access could be examples).

For this it might make sense for the technology to "look" for seats that have a higher trend in tickets that are not redeemed, as well as looking for seats that are bunched together.

If nothing else, it's a hassle, but this might very well work for big games, where there could be a standby line outside the arena. While this could work great, it might just be too expensive only applicable to a few games (argument could be made for most regular season games however).

I suppose the question the Rockets would have to ask themselves is financially, is it worth it? Do the costs outweigh the potential gains?

13. ThaBlackKnight

I remember on Seinfeld, Kramer somehow got the job of a "Seat-filler" for a daytime show awards ceremony, lol.

But that isn't a bad idea. As long as the missing person doesn't already have a seat being saved for them by a friend, then it should be okay.

14. boyisoyc

boyisoyc Member

i need both game tickets and air tickets,
    and i won't let them waste

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

That's where I got the idea from. But I like mdoggnic's and hjg877's idea.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I've been a paid audience member before. they do it on nationally televised game shows and they do it all the time on Broadway. paper the seats and fill up the audience.

do they do this in professional sports?

17. #96in the #

#96in the # Member

:D cmon out and support are ROCKETS!

18. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

I would say...

why don't you go ask your clients....
    or stop giving away tickets if you think they're not intertested..

give them gift cert to hooters instead...