1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An open letter to the Rockets about filling seats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by droxford, Oct 7, 2008.

1. WALAWALA

WALAWALA Rookie

As least put individual season tickets holders on section 119~121. And corporate season tickets holders on section 106~108 so the arena does not look so empty through TV camera. :(

2. rockets34

rockets34 Member

As someone who has purchased lower bowl season tickets for the past three seasons (section 107 row2) the constant animosity and viritrol directed towards lower bowl fans by most of the members here is pretty puzzling. I have made a very substantial financial committment to the rockets for the past three seasons which is something the majority of fans on here clamoring for free lower bowl seats have not done.
    If I choose not to dye my hair red and dress up in rockets gear from head to toe and scream like a drunken frat boy at every possible opportunity that does not make me any less of a fan than someone who does. If I chose to wear a suit to games because my office is 4 blocks from the toyota center and I frequently work til 7 or 8 and it is inconvenient for me to go home and change before games, this again, does not make me any less of a fan. If I arrive late and chose to skip part of the first quarter, this is also my business. Not sure what the point of my post is, but just tired of the hate and animosity constantly directed at us lower bowl fans.

3. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

A lot of people here don't realize that those "rich law firms" put a huge amount of bank in the Rockets' pockets. I'm not even sure there's a waiting list for those tickets so it's not like there are tons of other people willing to pay that much money for those seats.

4. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

I agree - a lot of these cats don't even go to the games yet pour the hat on the BBS.

And without the major commitment of corporations to buy luxury suites and lower bowl seats we wouldn't be able to afford T-Mac, Yao and the Tru Warier.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

When I first walked through the unfinished Toyota Center a few years back, I asked about the center "club" section and how people would gain access. They explained that the only way was to show your ticket at the club entrance.

Right then, I asked them what they would do if the seats closest to the floor and the most important both for TV and the noise level at the game were empty in the fourth quarter since they were to be the most expensive and likely filled by corporate seat holders (remember that there are suites under the seats that come with club seat tickets).

The response I got was that they didn't think that would happen. I explained that one reason why the Summit (er...Compaq Center) was loud during winning seasons was that the fans would migrate down into more expensive seats left empty in the second half. Yes, it is a pain to police it, but once you are into the fourth quarter, no one cares.

They said that it wasn't fair to people who paid for those expensive tickets to allow people who paid $20 to get to sit in the same seats.

I understand that, but this is the consequence. You have people sitting in the most expensive and most important seats in the arena who aren't as involved in the game. To make matters worse, they get most of the in-game attention during timeouts because they are close to the floor. That was a HUGE issue up for debate at early fan council meetings and understandably so.

It's really kind of a mess.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The best is the fourth quarter t shirt toss.

I love how those lower bowl folks do nothing down there. Not cheer, not applaud, not a damn thing. And when that whistle blows, and Clutch and the RPDs and those stupid dancing babies, and those jr high breakers toss shirts, they come to their feet with their hands wide open.

I'm shocked and surprised they would take a hand out like that.

I'll be at the game tonight. So will capture it and put it on youtube.

7. droxford

droxford Member

Thanks to some of the info in this thread, I am happily now aware of this and am looking into it. Thank you!

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

you lower bowl fans sound like an absolute fun-fest!

sure it's your business, and no one here is asking for free seats. but most people here wouldn't "choose" to skip part of a Houston Rockets game.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

When you have season tickets, things are going to come up over the course of 41 games, where you have to "choose" to arrive late.

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

why not just let people stand in line outside of the toyota center and by the time the 3rd quarter ends if a seat is not filled let them get in.

If you are not there by the time the 4th quarter starts you shouldn't be buying your tickets in the first place. Let people that want to wait for 2 hours outside in the night because they are diehard rockets fans get into the game, it will really energize the team, and rattle the opposing team because they are used to the quietness and then the 4th quarter and things get a lot louder.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Well, you might be one of the only ones in the lower bowl that gives a **** about this team. You might want to tell your lower bowl peers that there is a game going on and to actually cheer for the team rather than play with your Blackberrys and discuss business deals. Watching the Rockets for 20+ years, the lower bowl attendance has always been pathetic. I would rather be in the upper bowl watching a game with fans who want to root for the team, stand majority of the game, and go crazy than be in the lower bowl where fans who want me to sit down because I'm too loud or I'm in the way.

I would suggest to the Rockets marketing office that near the end of the 3rd quarter or the beginning of the 4th, if the lower bowl is half full, they should allow the upper bowl a chance to come down and fill the seats. What's the harm in doing that? If people who bought the lower bowl seats don't show up or leave early, might as well fill it with rabid Rockets fans, right? They'll have their seats back the next game or whenever. Once the lower bowl fans realize that the upper bowl fans are taking their seats, they might actually want to come to the game....

Kam, you're definitely right about the t-shirt toss to the lower bowl. That's when the corporate cronies decide to get off their ass and start begging for a t-shirt that costs the same as getting it from Walmart. Pathetic.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i applaud you buying season tickets in the lower bowl..sounds like good seats at that. I am sure many of us here wish they can do that same. It doesnt make you any less or any more of a fan than the others.

i am sure the majority of "upper bowl" folks would purchase lower bowl season tickets if it were in their means but for most its not.

I dont have an issue with someone choosing to buy those tickets and sit and watch the entire game...thats their choice they bought their ticket.

What I DO have an issue with is if i am down there too and rooting my butt off being told to be quiet. Just as you have every right to sit and watch and i have every right to stand and cheer. I think thats where a lot of animosity between "upper" and "lower" bowl fans come from. the people who sit and watch have created an atmosphere where if there is a fan who likes to cheer in the area he either gets in trouble for doing so or gets heavily intimidated by those all around him. Most people will only cheer and holler if others aro doing it...its hard to be the only one in a crowd of 20-30 cheering its just human nature.

(note i am not one of those who if in the lower bowl stands the entire game...i jump and stand and cheer if there is a spectacular play or something of significance but otherwise I respect the view of others behind me and will remain seated for most of the game and cheer my head off that way)

13. rockets34

rockets34 Member

Exactly, and those things are typically work-related. And frankly sometimes I just don't feel the need to sit through every minute of every home game so I choose to arrive a little late, grab dinner on the way to the game, etc. That, however, does not make me any less of a fan than somebody on a bbs who has never made any sort of financial committment to the rockets but b****es about my "cheering style" online.

14. rockets34

rockets34 Member

Absolutely agree with what you are saying to an extent. I have been told on frequent and numerous occasions to "sit down, your blocking our view". And although I typically comply it does annoy me on occasion, but i recognize that it is discourteous of me to block the views of other people that paid good money for their seats. Its not a who is right or who is wrong type situation, if your standing in front of a guy in his 60s that clearly does not energy to spring up from his seat to watch a fastbreak and you spring up on every occasion, you will impede his view, thus ruining his game experience. So with that in mind, when I stand at times when others aren't and am told to sit down, i usually comply simply out of courtesy. But i absolutely see your point, i frequently get dirty looks from my neighbors for constantly heckling opposing players, jazz ones in particular.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

You know I have a friend that is a Red Rowdy that works in downtown and pretty much goes straight to the game from work...he brings clothes with him to change into for the game.

But I hear ya, I actually don't think letting people in at halftime is such a good idea because there could be extenuating circumstances that keep ticket holders from arriving on time...an accident, unusually heavy traffic, swamped at work, etc. Plus 41 games is a big commitment...if you paid all that money for those tickets you should have the right to skip a game or arrive late every now and then, dress however you please, etc.

Personally, I only have a problem with those people that don't cheer one bit, don't stand for a single moment (it's hard to stand all game, but momentum swings and buzzer beating shots and the last few minutes of the game are definitely doable) and really don't give a s**t about what's actually happening on the court...I guess, in essence, those people that have been given a "handout" because they're being schmoozed by some company that paid for those tickets.

16. moose

moose Member

I remember I was at a game two years ago, cant remember who we were playing. But i snuck down to the lower bowl, right behind the goal, maybe 7-8 rows back. Well a big play happened and i stood up out of excitement and cheered. right when i got up, the guy behind me told me to "sit down". out of anger i told him to STAND UP!! he replied me saying "i paid for these seats!!" i just turned around to the game and ignored him. it sure got me pissed though.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

again, more power to you. but it sure makes the Toyota Center seem dull. there are tons of fans who DO feel the need to be there for the whole game.

so if I don't purchase a season ticket plan and only attend individual games, I am not making a financial commitment to the team?

18. Precision340

Precision340 Member

that's a good idea... another idea is if the seats are not taken by the middle of the 1st or 2nd quarter then they should allow people from the upper bowls to sit in those empty seats

19. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I don't know if the majority of the hate is that you don't go crazy at the end of the games or don't wear a wig or any of that. Although, you wear a suit to the game? Do you wear a Rockets jersey to work? Cmon... at least wear just a regular T-shirt.

Anyways, my point is, we are pissed not because of the people that ARE there in the lower bowl, but the people that aren't there. Because what happens is two fold:

First, no fans in seats RIGHT NEXT TO THE COURT means less noise. Less noise=less of a homecourt advantage. Think I'm making up ****? Compare the homecourt records of Houston and Utah and compare the crowds in Houston and Utah. The difference is painfully obvious. The less fans in those seats during the game, the less wins this season basically.

Second, we're going to have a lot of nationally televised games, and the rest of the NBA is going to see that our fans basically don't give a ****.

20. JohnTX281

JohnTX281 Member

I'll use your tickets