1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An Old Kind of Politics: House Republicans blocking stimulus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Major

Major Member

It's not that clear cut. If they believe the economy is headed off a cliff without a stimulus (an open question), then not passing it would be more costly to the deficit than passing it.

That said, I'm not a big fan of this bill. It seems to be much less stimulative than it should be.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Dream on. Our banking system is insolvent and we're hemmoraghing jobs and the efects are global. The current discussion is another $2 trillion for banks as a starter.

We're not pulling out of this anytime soon and it will get worse. There is simply nothing to take the place of the wealth that was lost over the last two years. There will be additional stimulus efforts. You can bank on it. I don't particularly like it, but I'd much rather have Obama running it with at least an understanding of the long-term structural changes we need in our economy than the previous administration.

3. rimrocker

The new Republican mantra: Ideology or die!

Payback will be a b****.

4. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Democrats: Why don't we dig a huge pit and throw all our money into it to stimulate the economy.

Republicans: um, no. that's a bad idea.

Democrats: you're against stimulating the economy!

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

too bad they didn't do it the first six years of W's terms

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're currently suffering from the effects of 6-8 years of Republican economic stimulus. Historic economic collapse is the result.

7. rimrocker

Democrats: Why did you dig that big hole?

Repubs: Because we wanted to sell the dirt to our friends.

Dems: What do we do with it now?

Repubs: That's your problem.

Dems: But it's turning into a sinkhole that will destroy the neighborhood.

Repubs: Like we said, it's your problem now. By the way, why haven't you fixed it yet?

Dems: Well, it would be nice if we could get some help.

Repubs: We'll help you, but only if we can make the hole bigger.

Dems: Thanks, but we'll do it ourselves.

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Actually the collapse coincided quite nicely with the Democratic control of Congress.

The primary driver of the collapse was two things:

1) The Fed (an independent body) leaving interest rates too low for too long, well into the economic recovery, which over-stimulated the economy. Monetary policy is far more meaningful as an economic stimulus than is spending.
    2) Banks lending to bad credits -- much of this was the result of the Community Reinvestment Act that the Dems championed which forced banks to lend to bad urban, low-income credits.

Neither 1) nor 2) are Republican initiatives. Bush's stimulus worked very well actually, and brought the economy back from the grave after 9-11.

I wouldn't expect you, nor would I expect Obama voters (duh), to be able to understand this type of educated logic.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

All those house loans failing in California, Florida, and Las Vegas aren't low income credits, their second mortgages, part of the house flipping fad that failed miserably. Subprime and CRA are two different things. The CRA does not force banks to make bad loans, its a complete fallacy. Stop repeating what you learned on the wingnut sites.

google assignment for ya, "bush, ownership society"

we don't understand it because its right wing lies

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Corrected for accuracy.

11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The teejster thinks that a few working class brown people getting home loans caused a global economic meltdown. His economic analysis is as insightful as his political analyis was leading up to the 08 election.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if every home loan failed that was given to a low income family through some kind of assistance, it wouldn't have caused the mess we're in today. its a ridiculous claim

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I've been waiting for House Republicans to grow a pair. I'm just happy to see them stand for something, after what the hell they have been doing. Where were these guys when TARP was being passed?

Maybe they received the message this November.

14. rimrocker

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

I love how all bad news since the 2006 election is the fault of the Democratic Congress and all bad news between December 2000 and November 2006 is the fault of the Clinton administration. It's like the Bush administration and Repub control of Congress never existed. If you guys keep going this route, historians won't have the opportunity to polish W's legacy.

Way to live up to those calls for responsibility!

15. rimrocker

They love them some W, but now he's gone so they're free to rediscover their "principles."

16. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

The CRA was also key in increasing the number of predatory loans and if you change the context of "forced" to forced by the will of the market, which saw other banks making tons of (short term) cash in this new market then I think forced is a legit term.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

from wiki

The Equal Credit Opportunity Act, enacted in 1974, makes it unlawful for any creditor to discriminate against any applicant, with respect to any aspect of a credit transaction, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, or age. Failure to comply can subject a financial institution to civil liability for actual and punitive damages.[6] By contrast, the 1977 Community Reinvestment Act seeks to address discrimination in loans made to individuals and businesses from different areas or neighborhoods, but does not mandate any civil or punitive damages.[7][8][9] The CRA mandates that all banking institutions that receive FDIC insurance be evaluated by the relevant banking regulatory agencies to determine if the institution has met the credit needs of its entire community in a manner consistent with safe and sound operations.[2] The law does not list specific criteria for evaluating the performance of financial institutions. Rather, it directs that the evaluation process should accommodate the situation and context of each individual institution. The law also does not require institutions to make high-risk loans that may bring losses to the institution; instead it emphasizes that an institution's CRA activities should be undertaken in a safe and sound manner.[2][10] There are no specific penalties for non-compliance with the CRA, unless a violation of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act was also found to have occurred.[citation needed]

I worked in banking in lending for a local houston bank, believe, other than filling out paperwork on all kinds of loans trying to get CRA credit, we were not concerned about CRA. Believe

18. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Read a little further down on that wiki page then think about if you are the only bank in town not making tons of cash on predatory loans how quickly you would lose stockholders.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

why don't you explain to me what you are saying because I'm not following

edit: banks responsibility to stockholders and to CRA are two different subjects, I'm really not following

#59 pgabriel, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  20. tested911

tested911 Member

Refresh my memory people because It's been awhile.. But aren't these the same Republicans who blocked the last stimulus and the only way to approve it was with a lot of Pork Barrel projects.. $110 Billion of wooden arrow heads, rum tax breaks in some Caribbean island and something to do with race car tracks? How are any of those going to help the economy..