1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An "Offensive" Draft Idea for the Houston Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheGoldenGreek, Feb 19, 2011.

1. TheGoldenGreek

Every year the Houston Texans have a different scapegoat to explain why they yet again failed to reach the playoffs. It started with saying that David Carr is a bust. Eventually, the blame switched over to head coach Dom Capers. Now Gary Kubiak is getting much of the same heat Capers was. However, nobody can deny that the Houston Texans most recent failed attempt at a postseason berth falls squarely on the shoulders of the defense.

With that fact in mind, it seems like a no brainer to draft a defensive player using their hard-earned eleventh pick in the first round. Unfortunately, seven of the top eleven picks will most likely be defensive players. This means that if the Texans spend another first round draft choice on a defensive player, he won’t be one of the better ones available in the draft.

If we dust off the nine year old pages of the Texans’ draft history book, we’ll see that their track record when evaluating defensive talent is less than stellar. Out of their ten first round picks, seven have been used on defensive players and four of them are still on the team, only two of which have made the pro bowl for the Texans.

Instead of going after a second rate pass rusher a la Aldon Smith or Ryan Kerrigan, the Texans should draft a top-end offensive talent like Julio Jones.

Now before you dismiss this offensive idea as ludicrous, think about it. Jones would fit perfectly alongside All Pro Wide Receiver Andre Johnson, and would solve one of the Texans’ long-standing needs as a consistent, playmaking second receiver. He would alleviate a lot of the pressure that opposing defenses focus on Johnson, and give the Texans’ already potent offense a brand new dimension. Not to mention he might even be able to help a return game that was ranked twenty-seventh in the 2010 season.

This draft has plenty of defensive talent that can be had in the later rounds. The Texans could potentially be choosing from players including Aaron Williams, Stephen Paea, and Drake Nevis, all of whom will most likely be available when they make their second selection. I trust new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips to find a “diamond in the rough” in one of the later rounds.

Don’t get me wrong, if something unexpected happens and the Texans have the opportunity to draft a can’t miss prospect like Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, Von Miller, or Marcell Dareus, they absolutely should. But if the draft goes as expected, and these players are gone before the Texans are on the clock they should take a risk and go for Julio Jones.

2. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Whats the point of scoring 30+ when you are constantly giving up 30+ a game. Shore up the defense and don't even think twice about it.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't know about that. Cushing, albeit a roided up Cushing, was the 8th defensive player in the 2009 draft and Clay Matthews was the 13th. I wouldn't immediately write off a defensive player just because an arbitrary number of other defensive players were drafted above him.

That said, I don't have much faith in the Texans and wouldn't be surprised to see them reach for a defensive player because they need help on that side of the ball.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The only WR I would take if he fell was AJ Green.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Texans need to use every opportunity they have to change out personnel on what was one of the worst defenses I've ever seen.

But because they're battlefighters, I'm sure they'll all be right back in the same spots they were last season.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

If we're going offense, I would like to see us take a slot guy in the 3rd or 4th round (at the earliest).

Somebody like Jeremy Kerley, or in a dream scenario, Titus Young (doubt he'd last that long though).

The Jacoby Jones ship has sailed, I want a guy with good acceleration and good hands to help pull safeties off of 'Dre and possibly return kicks.

Kevin Walter will do fine for now.

7. Major

Major Member

This doesn't even make any sense. If 7 of the top 11 draft picks are going to be defensive players, it means that's the case because the defensive players available are better than the offensive players available. If there are 5 great quarterbacks in a draft, so you decide to take a mediocre running back because he's the best one in the draft over the #5 great QB? That's a bizarre rationale.

8. TheGoldenGreek

You misunderstood. The seven players: Nick Fairley, Patrick Peterson, Von Miller, Prince Amukamara, Marcell Dareus, Da'Quan Bowers, and Robert Quinn will probably be already gone when the Texans pick at #11. If one of these guys are available then we by all means should take them but they probably won't.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Drafting a WR in the first round is pretty ludicrous for the Texans short of that WR being the next Randy Moss. Which Jones actually may be... who knows. The point is that a 2nd top WR just isn't that important relative to the other holes on the team.

IMO, marginal upgrade is more important than overall upgrade given just how utterly crappy some of our starters are. Short of Jones turning this offense into the early century Rams, he won't be nearly the difference maker a pass-rushing OLB or lineman can be.

10. Major

Major Member

That makes sense. Let's say the 7 defensive players and 3 offensive players were taken in the first 10 picks. I guess my question would be how good is the 8th defensive player? If he's the 12th best player in the draft, then I would argue it makes sense to take him. If he's the 20th best player in the draft (ie, the next 10 best-availables are offensive players), then you maybe take the offensive guy - or preferably, just trade down. But really, taking a defensive guy projected at 15 is probably better for this team than taking an offensive guy projected at 11.

11. RocketMania1991

Jones is very talented. And I don't think our offense is as "potent" as we like to believe it to be.

We've all seen those halves/quarters where the offense is completely shut down until were in to far of a whole to dig ourselves out.

But it all depends who is still on the board when we pick. Like others have said if some quality defensive players are still available then you obviously pick them.

But AJ is almost 30 and we don't really have another great threat besides him. I think it would be nice to open the field up a bit and get some pressure off AJ. As well as getting an heir to the throne in Jones.

Plus Jones could serve as a nice kick returner. Something we desperately need. Much more will be clear as time progresses and the combine happens.

Alot depends on our FA moves as well.

12. TheGoldenGreek

I'm just a believer in the "best player available" philosophy. I think when you start drafting for need is when you start reaching for players and not getting the most out of your pick. Not to mention, there is a lot more defensive talent in FA this year and I think it would do us more good to get proven players on that side of the ball. I know that the Texans historically haven't done big things in FA but there is a first time for everything and that might change considering the added pressure on Smithiak this year.

13. countryfan75

countryfan75 Member

I know this has nothing to do with the draft but I'm just wondering what they're going to do with Leinart. Schuab is obviously the guy of the future, you think they'll trade Leinart?

14. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I think Leinart's a FA. If not, I think he's a decent and cheaper alternative to Orlovsky.

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I think we were in a better position last year to implement the same plan with Dez Bryant who we passed up for Kreamed Jackson. So, yeah you make sense but a year too late and now we are in desperate need of a revamp on defense. Right now, the better option would be to pursue a cheaper Randy Moss and draft a solid player on defense. But yeah I like your idea and I was thinking the same thing last year when Bryant fell that far on the board.

1 person likes this.