1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An Israeli Looks at Israel's Response to Non Violent Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jun 13, 2011.

1. joesr

joesr Member

like~!

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So it is ok to use sharp shooters to pick off unarmed demonstrators. Way to justify state terrorism.

Oh, I guess you would say that is unfair.

It is; just like your statment.

Bottom line. Euro Jews had no moral right to create a Jewish privileged state in Palestine. Both sides have engaged in terrorism. One side has all the conventional arms and a conventional army to employ in a terroristic fashion.

As Americans we should not be supporting a religious privileged state because it is against the founding principles of our country and the way we operate to this day. It is always ironic to see Jewish Amereicans get so easily riled when some folks try to proclaim America as a "Christian" nation.

In addition it is very harmful to the interests of Americans as a whole to needlessly have unending war against nations very vital to our countries short term energy needs in order partly to protect Israel when by any objective measure it contributes so very little to American interests. Some times we should take foreign policy stands for moral purposes without a clear cut interest, but this is not the case here.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I know you hate the fact that Israel is a Jewish State. It is painfully clear. The bottom line is that this is a perpetual state of WAR. There has been no time of peace, but only a few years here and there will little violence. Rocket fire continues only because the wall was put there to keep suicide bombers out.

But go ahead, keep on with your one-sided self.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Don't you think it's strange that you glossed over all his points and immediately painted him as an anti-semite?

Also, most people in the world don't like Israel being a Jewish state, and for a variety of reasons. Just like most non-Muslims dislike Islamic states. Just like most non-Christians don't like Christian states.

It's not a strange thing and it's not specific to Israel or glynch.

I'm surprised by your cop-out post. You usually have good points, and glynch raised some valid ones himself. I never took you as one of those people who steer the conversation towards guilt as if to say others can't share that sadness for the history of the Jewish people. At the same time, you expect one-sided sadness from others because there's never any peace - a situation created by both sides, and where the people of both sides are victims.

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i hate the fact that my country spends billions propping up israel and the fact that the nation of israel is one of the most powerful lobbying groups in my government. i resent the fact that israel has as much influence in my government as it does.

i also hate the fact that israel has been in violation of hundreds of UN mandates and resolutions, and my country (and england) veto any attempt to hold them accountable.

i also really hate the fact that in 1967 israel attacked the u.s.s. liberty and sunk it and murdered our sailors as they were bobbing in the water waiting to be rescued. and our government did nothing.

israel doesnt need our help, nor do they deserve it.

if israel wants to go around acting like nazis and kicking out palestinians so they can carve out more lebensraum for themselves that is their business. and the consequences should be theirs too. we dont need to be involved in that crap.

1 person likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Basically shows how Israeli politics are held hostage by radicals. At the sametime the Abbas' PA was and is probably too weak to implement a comprehensive peace proposal that groups like Hamas don't fully accept.

7. glynch

Oh, I hate Israel so much. Israel is ok. I'm just not a Zionist. I used to dislike or "hate" South Africa if it makes you feel better. Not any more. I don't hate Afrikaners and I don't hate Jews who live in Israel.

The Jewish people there whose parents moved there a generation or two ago should remain if they want to. South Africa is very analagous and virtually the whole world can see that. A similar outcome is likely to happen , with those Jews who are willing to be part of a multi-ethnic, multi-religious state remaing and the others emmigrating back to where their parents came from. Interestingly, relatively uncritical supporters of Israel right or wrong have very likely put and end to the two state solution and the Jewish privileged state. Recent polls show 78 to 85% of Israelis want to keep much of the territory seized in 1967. Netanyahu is Israel. Not very charming if you ask me.

BTW can you name some advantages the US gets from supporting a Jewish state in Israel?

#107 glynch, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I assume that you mean polls show they want to keep that territory they still hold which they seized in 1967. Israel has already returned the vast majority of the territory they seized in '67 (more than the area that currently comprises Israel). What you are really referring to are East Jerusalem and settlements in the West Bank, most of which will probably be part of Israel if any final peace deal gets worked out.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Please name "Christian states" (other than the Vatican).

10. ChievousFTFace

I didn't state that he was an anti-semite. I stated the fact that he does not want Israel to remain a Jewish state. This is not an option. It will never happen. Glynch is to Israel as Basso is to Democrats on this forum. Jenin "massacre", floatilla raid on "Unarmed" (hello knives), "peaceful protesters" at the barrier... it's all propaganda.

You are painting yourself in a corner when you say most non-Muslims don't like Islamic States. I think Islamic, Christian and secular nations just want to be left alone. The problem is when the cultures/religions clash and blood is spilled. Your average american could care less that Saudi Arabia is a Muslim nation. You average arab could care less that American is a Christian majority with secular laws. With that being said, your average arab hates the fact that Israel is Jewish.

As I stated in my post earlier, Israel has always been at war since it's inception. That is not a falsehood. The heavy handedness of Israelis is a product of the past bloodthirst of it's neighbors and the current bloodthirst of terrorist organizations funded by its neigbors. The extremism on the part of the Palestinians is a product of Israeli heavy handedness.

So you have to weigh Palestinian freedom and dignity with Israel's right to be Jewish and be secure. A 2 state solution would offer both.

1 person likes this.
  11. ChievousFTFace

It is well known that many of our special forces, including Seals and Delta Force receive training in Israel.

Israel offers military technology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_%E2%80%93_United_States_military_relations

12. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

(and that they sell military technology to the Chinese)

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/10/12/w...na-military-technology-cia-chief-asserts.html

lolwut

irony

America gives them tech so they can sell it to the Chinese.

that has to rankle you patriotic, red-blood Americans.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The girl began sobbing and it seemed as if she really didn't have a question to begin with. You know what happens when women cry..in one ear, out the other.

This quote is spot-on:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Finkelstein

I'm going to check out the documentary on him. It got great reviews. American Radical: The Trials of Norman Finkelstein.

14. glynch

What a stretch. I guess that we in the poor old US would be nearly defenseless without training and Israeli miitary hardware. :)

Thanks for making my point.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'll take it you didn't understand his point, even though the whole clip is a clear indication of what the discussion was about and what the girl was trying to say.

Finkelstein's entire family perished in the holocaust, so to your point about him hating jews, its quite ignorant to say that he took pleasure in watching his family die.

The greatness from his point stems from the fact that despite all that he and his family went through, as he cites his dad's words of wisdom, using their suffering as an excuse to legitimize the suffering of other people in another antagonistic manner is an insult to those who perished. It would be like becoming a nazi yourself, as you often here people say about revenge provoking situations , "Don't stoop down to their level, you'll be just like them."

The girl completely took this out of context and amidst her annoying crying and blab I couldn't quite make out about her being german and jewish and blah she found it offensive.

In case you missed why the clip is so profound, as Finkelstein goes on to give his own background and how unlike her he has more of a reason to demand sympathy and offer excuses, but he would rather do what is morally right, the girl finally just breaks down.

And sorry, just because he hates israel's policies doesn't make him an antisemite, in fact you could say you're more of an antisemite for hating him since he's jewish if I wanted to mirror your logic. He was actually banned from entering Israel just for speaking out against its policies.

If objectivity isn't one of your goals, let me know so I won't bother replying to nonsense that seems quite obvious.

The girl

16. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

exactly, it made no sense, "The people in the crowd that are german...and have suffered...and are jewish...blah ..(cry / break down)...take offense.."

It was more of a sympathy plea, and being one of the best debaters he recognized it right away and tackled it.

I used to like wolf blitzer, but man he is a total prick in this debate, Norman Fink. OWNS him so bad , Wolf Literally walks out, without saying bye or anything afterwards. Its hilarious, you should watch all of them.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2-8aTGnjHnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

His whole answer to the question is one of the biggest bull**** answers I've ever heard, and watch how he gets tackled. The biggest eye opener is when he calls palestenians "Dogs." Its completely reminiscent of neonazi ideology i see from the likes of ATW.

1 person likes this.
  17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

ATW, watch that video and please tell me what you can say to refute that argument.

18. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

So Wolf Blitzer from CNN used to work for the Zionist lobby AIPAC...Wow...and Finkelstein absolutely owned him in that debate. Blitzer couldn't even look at him after he was demolished, lol. No wonder Finkelstein is never on CNN.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He comes across as an irrational fanatic who makes idiotic arguments such as "the threat from Palestine to Israel is as big as the threat from Luxemburg to the Soviet Union". Suuuure, because Luxemburg was lobbing rockets at the Soviet Union, and sending suicide bombers.

Fact of the matter is that you love him because he hates Israel.

You ignore the fact that you are siding with neo-nazis in that regard.

20. ChievousFTFace

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I am not proud of how the settlers and the policies that have allowed for them to take land. Your comparison of the Israeli government to the Nazi regime is saddening and incredibly far from the truth. I'm not going to discuss this any further and will leave this thread as emotion has taken hold of fact and nobody here is willing to discuss with civility.