1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An Israeli Looks at Israel's Response to Non Violent Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jun 13, 2011.

1. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

So it's ok that they fire rockets into schools? Way to justify terrorist activity.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

too bad there are no US and England to backup palastine, or they could just force Isreal to packup and move. Power is right in this world, always is and always will be.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

The IDF has been accused by several organisations of abusing Palestinian prisoners.[23][24][25]

terrorist activity is never justifiable. It is however, somewhat more understandable in this light, no? Nobody wants to start with violence. But, if you are the United States, and you own the world and the UNSC, and you consistently veto issues relating to Israel's violation of international law, and help squelch Palestinian non-violence, well, how do you expect the Palestinians to react?

The United States should either be a bit more fair-handed towards Israel/Palestine (for God's sake, cut the aid), or hell, it should help the Palestinians. Aren't we all in a "help free the world!" mood? Last I checked, when the Libyan rebels renounced non-violence and started a civil war, they were "heroes."

1 person likes this.
  4. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I feel bad for the Palestinians that have supported the last 8 years of non-violent protest under the post-Arafat leadership and are still treated no differently as the Occupation continues to be justified just the same as it was during Intifada I and II.

Edit: And are constantly told by foreigners who think they understand the situation what they need to do in order to create a nation state and make peace.

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am sure many Palestinians are inspired by the events of the Arab spring but this latest round I suspect is very much a cynical ploy by the Assad regime. Consider that the Golan heights wasn't part of Palestine yet you have large protest of Palestinians there. I just get the feeling that the Palestinians being used yet again as a puppet by other Arab regimes.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That is a good point but given the size of Israel I suspect that the subsidizing and defense of settlements is a drain on the Israeli economy. I think if an organized nonviolent effort to both shame the Israelis while also reassuring them that any viable Palestinian state will not be a threat could lead to peace.

The problem that I see is that no Palestinian leader has really been able to both. I don't think its so much a matter of having a Palestinian Ghandi but a Palestinian Mandela with an Israeli DeKlerk. A Palestinian leader with the moral authority to rally Palestinians while also assuring Israelis and an Israeli leader willing to work fully with the Palestinians. Rabin was probably the only leader on both sides with the authority and courage to accomplish the above, and for his efforts he was assassinated by a Jewish extremist. Unfortunately Arafat lacked the courage to follow through especially after Rabin died.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

On the subject of Israeli women. About ten years ago I dated an Israeli who had been an officer in the IDF. She hated the occupation and wanted Israeli out of the West Bank and Gaza. Prior to that I had dated an American Jewish girl and after spending a summer in Israel she went batsh^t crazy about Israel and openly talked about wanting to join the Mossad and exterminating Palestinians.

8. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Would you like to provide links with your quotes?

Furthermore, as discussed ad nauseum in multiple glynch one-sided nonsensical threads, there are two sides to the story. Many of the posters here want to throw 100% of the blame at Israel rather than admit to the faults of the Palestinians and their arab neighbors. Instead, it's a giant orgy by Arab nations in the UN to sanction Israel, rather than actually trying to start/maintain a peace process.

Emotional arguments don't work when they aren't based in fact.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Edit or constantly told by occupiers or foreign born workers how to form a state on the land they lived on continuously for thousands of years.

10. Northside Storm

sigh

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/21/palestinian-nonviolence-israeli-repression

http://www.uruknet.info/?new=74169

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_prisoners_in_Israel

There are two sides to every story. A lot of Arab leaders are not clean in this affair, and too prone to violence.

However, in the American narrative, there is only one side, a side that continually receives UN veto support, and the largest amount of military aid doled out when America can't even afford food or heating for low-income workers.

Even others have noted it---

11. Northside Storm

As for the peace process---it's a joke.

As I posted before---

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Are you joking? I suppose you love Al Qaeda and the Taliban for upholding rule of law, huh? :rolleyes:

Israel is allegedly a democratic state. One that has mastered the art of imposing religious laws through a sovereign nation apparently. One of the more powerful millitary forces on earth. A key ally to the United States, with many many many Israelis coming from a great education background and countries where political process was respected.

You are comparing this to the region?
    You realize that this region is literally the worst in the world when it comes to those things?

Congrats. Israel is the best out of a group of the ~10 worst countries in the world in this category.

There are many things to praise Israel for, but you seem to be absolutely clueless about them. Your only comments in this thread have been posting pictures of hot IDF soldiers and claiming that you don't hate Muslims. You haven't been able to convey why you even like Israel, and the one time you have tried to do so, you have insulted Israel.

You should do marketing for them. "Come to Israel!! It's better than Saudi Arabia."

Nice.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So in essence you agree with what I said, but you felt the need to whine about it.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

i think you're making a link that doesn't exist.

1 person likes this.
  15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A5drXEXkf9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I just wish that we had a mechanism in place to separate those immigrants from the felons and drug mules. I personally believe in a very liberal entrance policy...once the background check is passed.

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

On a completely different (or somewhat similar) note, I feel this probably as appropriate a place as anywhere to post the New York Times article on the Olmert-Abbas peace deal that was inches away from happening.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/magazine/13Israel-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3

Its a long article but in essence they had almost every issued covered and were far closer than any previous deal (including Rabin's and Barak's proposals). They had an agreement on Jerusalem, Palestinian disarmament, land swaps, right of return, a tunnel to gaza from the West Bank, the holy sites in the Old City, land swaps, etc..

The big issue was the settlement of Ariel, which is one of the largest in the West Bank. However, it's not on the 67 border and is further east in the middle of the West Bank so it cant simply be swapped. Both sides had come to agreements on the other settlement blocs but Olmert felt it was political suicide for an israeli leader to dismantle it. He said it bluntly that he was terrified of the fallout of having to deal with angry militant settlers (especially after the incidents with settlers during the withdrawal from Gaza). And that basically broke the deal.

It gives you hope that a deal can happen since they were so close but so sad at the same time. And going from a guy like olmert (who was a crook in many ways but still had the courage to try something) to that scumbag Netanyahu sucks for everyone

#97 geeimsobored, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Who is this guy with the high-pitch voice? The girl didn't even get to ask whatever her question was.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

One of the most brilliant, outspoken , and respected people you will ever hear. And his name is in the title.

If your going to try and sound ignorant by making fun of his voice it only goes to show how important objectivity is to you, just like you posted completely irrelevent pictures o f Israeli women in response to the thread.

I hate to say it, but Basso territory isn't too far off for you my friend.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I googled him.

Apparently David Duke applauds him (I will not link to it, but it is on David Duke's homepage), as do German neo-nazis who like that he stands for an old anti-semitic argument, namely that Jews profit from the bad conscience of the rest of the world.

I don't know enough about the guy to know if there is some validity to some of what he wrote. But he seems very shrill.

I just noticed that he didn't even let the girl ask her question in this video.