1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An idea for the point guard issue (Penny Hardaway)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tannersearle78, Nov 20, 2003.

1. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

And why would we want it? For his production and 32 years old and injury prone? He doesn't even start at 13 million? HUH?

Pa-leez...:rolleyes:

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well I've watched him play and he still has a lot left. Go to the Phoenix Suns message board and he has lots of fans, for good reason. Tell me why, other than the contract, that this would be so bad.

I guess you like Moochie. :rolleyes:

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Never call another Brother/Sister Stupid. Its all relevant in any case. Silly-Yes!

4. eman

eman Contributing Member

Why not try JJ at the point?

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yetti, you're silly :D...

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

If he was still any good, don't you think he would average more than 19 min/game? It isn't like Joe Johnson is a world beater. Penny's career is done. He is a decent backup for twenty minutes a game. Basically, he is Padgett for 10 times the money.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Doesn't have the ball-handling skills to go up agains the other quicker PG in the league.

8. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

6'6" former All-Star PG available for ROX?

i read an article about Anfernee Hardaway's struggles to get playing time with the Phoenix Suns. Anfernee claims to be finally healthy & ready to prove that he has still "got it'.

he has been cast as a malcontent or someone who may not be mentaly tough, but my curiousity cannot let go

Noone has ever questioned his talent..... just his toughness. My view is that having been labelled w/the negativity (rightfully or not) this player's pride may kick his play back up to where it was when he was in Orlando..... if he's ever given another shot.

He and Stevie could make an interesting fit.

9. Toast

Toast Member

He's old, lost a step or two, and is injury-prone.

3 strikes.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Oh hell no. Penny is a better PG and was a better PG than Steve could ever hope to be IMO. Steve just does not have the type of instincts that Penny has or at least had. Penny was a top level point guard that lead his team to the NBA finals as well as the best record in the NBA not that many years ago.

When Penny was with Shaq he never had any problem giving the ball up to the big man. He was once considered the next coming of Magic.

Personally I would love to have Penny running the point here in Houston. I would not give up Cat for him though just because of his history of injuries. I don't quite know what I would be willing to give up for him. Certainly no one in our starting 5. If the Suns are not planning on giving him significant minutes than maybe we could give them some combination of our trade exception and maybe John Ameachi. I don't know if it works salary wise though. Certainly if the Suns want some real talent for him then this does nothing for them but if they would take some cap relief then this could help.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Add to this that Penny is a lot older and probably a lot more mature. He probably also sees his window of opportunity closing on his career and his chance at a ring. All of this could certainly make him a better team oriented player.

12. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Penny's clutch. He always plays good when it counts.
    I would trade for him in exchange for Mo Taylor and Moochie. Assuming he stays healthy, I think he'd give us stability and a smoother offense. I think we'd get to at least the western conference finals with a healthy Penny running the point.

13. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Consider the fact that the Heat are entertaining the notion of giving up Butler for the recipient of Jones, and you have your answer. Jones is twice the player Penny is now, and yet not one GM in the league is willing to swallow that salary. Caron, "I won the rookie of the year award in my world", Butler, may well be a moron, but he is a heck of a lot of sweetner.

When I think about this fact (or rumor - implied fact), I realize that not one team in the league, save for Dallas, if they had the need, would make a move for Penny. So Penny is a Sun, and will remain a Sun until his sun has set.

14. chad44

chad44 Member

i live in phoenix.......penny is overpaid!!!! complains alot and if we gave up cuttino it would be a huge mistake........maybe mo t maybe!!!!!!!!

15. amare

amare Member

I think the suns are willing to move penny for crap and SALARY FLEXIBILITY.

I mean if they traded bo outlaw and jake tsakalidis for brevin knight (immediately traded to wash for jahidi) and no-names like cezary trybanski and archibald, they might take mooch, ameachi, boki and trade exception for penny.

and there's really nothing wrong with penny except for that huge salary of his.

16. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

Loved Penny back in 93-96 days- he was explosive, he was magic, he was clutch ...err anyway. Too bad Shaq left and he got injured. I remember the start of the 94-95 season(Penny's second season) when Shaq was injured the first month and the Magic rode Penny to a 13-1 record or something and he was named player of the month. That year they went on to beat the Bulls (with Jordan back from retirement) and reached the finals vs Rox. Damn, I would love to have seen Shaq & Penny take out one championship together before Shaq left.

Oh well, who have we got now.. we got lil' Penny basically. A puppet of his former self. Like I said, he was great back then, could have been a hall of famer, but destiny has a funny way. Perhaps destiny will lead Penny to the Rox where he plays point and leads the Rox to a championship in the next couple of years?? I highly doubt it. I doubt his knees will hold if he were a 35+ minute starter. So, thanks, but no thanks.

If I were to trade Mobley, I'd trade for a SG in the mold of Scottie Pippen (I know he didn't play SG) who can shoot, but is more of a defensive presence and who is taller than 6'6. RON ARTEST! An all around SG.

But yea, I would love to see the Rox experiment Francis a full game at the SG spot and bring in someone to play point and only concentrate on distributing the ball, pass it to open teammates, and create shots only when forced to.