1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

An amazing essay from a "shadow scholar"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rhadamanthus, Nov 16, 2010.

1. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

i dunno if this is cheating, but i've had several friends call me asking me if i've written govt papers on different topics. i don't give them my papers, but i read them and then give them sources and main points. that's about the only cheating i've done in college. not going to waste 4 1/2 years off tuition on a stupid paper and i dont really know why anyone would

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I went to private high school in my freshmen year and it was no better than a fairly high ranked public school. Like colleges, it's the people who go there and the competition from it that matters.

3. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

The problem isn't that students cheat. The problem is that the system rewards cheating.

It's not hard to find the solution. If schools cared they would lose income.

#43 BEAT LA, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Many have financial aid. St. John's, by way of example, published this little table of the financial aid they've handed out in the past: http://www.sjs.org/podium/default.aspx?t=126096. Of course, they are probably the most-endowed private school in the city and most of the student body is legacy. Still I thought it was interesting.

My kids go to a private school. I like it; they're doing well (except with French), but man the other parents can really get on my nerves. They are involved, which is good, but some of them get downright meddlesome. I got an email from the school recently justifying (after parents complained) their decision to bring the PK class out to the stadium to play even though it was windy. fer srlsy?

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

that was a good read.

One bit of insight that probably has more truth to it then we care to acknowledge:
    -- probably an under taught mgmt skill -- and not just for the 'lazy rich guy' -- delegation to those more competent in a particular skill ;)

and a decent outline of how to actually write a paper:
    smugness and timeline aside -- a process for focus and organization.

maybe we should go back to the 'old ways' of writing papers -- no google or internet: sources limited to what you could find in the library -- hand write the paper (no copy and paste)-- and then hire a typist to pretty the thing up. ;)

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Maybe, but that misses the point. If you know how to write a good essay, chances are you can organize thoughts and choose the right words for a killer briefing paper or PowerPoint presentation (by that, I mean the talk as well as the slides... each should support the other, you shouldn't just read from your slides). It's all about acquiring the skills to discern the wheat from the chaff and communicate it clearly... and sometimes to different audiences with different expectations and different levels of knowledge and education.

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I always guessed that my MD brothers and my dentist cousins were not professional. Now I know for sure. Burn!

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Never written more than a page? As a dentist or a doctor?

[​IMG]

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wow, I had forgotten about the fact that I used to look up sources in the library....that's brutal. The Internet just breeds laziness bc I can't imagine having to go to the library, find sources, then search through the books for maybe one paragraph that could be useful for my paper. Gross.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i am not necessarily shocked by this just surprised at how rampant it is

I never was a good writer at all but I always did my own work which matter more to me. I never got an A on a college paper before (got B+s but never an A) but that never bothered me since I only had to write a few throughout my undergrad.

What boggles me is these professor who, as the article mentions, accept a paper from a student who when asked to speak has a hard time formulating a coherent sentence. Even if the example in the article of the customer emailing him is an extreme case I would have to believe that student must have emailed the professor at some point and probably emailed in a similar fashion. If a student emailed me in that manner and then handed in papers that were much more sophisticated I'd raise my eyebrow

Heck my 11th grade english teacher suspected I cheated on a major essay in our class because I used words in my essay she had never heard me use before. She actually made me stay after school and gave me a quick vocab quiz which I aced and told her just because I dont use words like those in day to day language doesnt mean I do not know their meaning.

Makes me a bit worried that professors are do not see that themselves.

11. SunsRocketsfan

yup that stuff has been going on for quite sometime. A friend of mine in college started http://www.college-essays.com He actually had one or two professors that wrote the essays

He eventually sold the site off to someone else.

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Asian?

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I outsource a lot of my posting to DD

1 person likes this.
  14. highstep

highstep Member

I think he could be earning a lot more money...

15. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

in the library
    on microfiche
    madly scribbling notes as the lights flashed on and off because it was closing time.

y'all have more info *on your phones* then I used to get through college. All our papers must have been so similar since we relied on the same dozen or so sources of reference material. But -- without the copy and paste -- at least we were forced to read them :cool:

/grumpy old man ;)

16. SunsRocketsfan

You can move to San Diego and go to the famous award winning Poway Unified School District. It's one of the best public school systems. Also is private school really any better?
    I know someone who went to Private school only to get a girl pregnant before he even went to college.

17. SunsRocketsfan

It's for sure cultural apathy but I guess also poor parenting since more and more kids are growing up in single parent households or both parents have to work so they can't devote as much time to their kids as they should.
    You should watch this movie called Better Luck Tomorrow about a group of asian students who appear to be model students but the amount of systematic cheating that went on behind the scenes will shock you. Although not quite as extreme as the movie but what went on at my high school which is rated as one of the best in California was just like the movie.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Your problem is evident in your post. I'll do it for $1 a word.

Here's a sample:

What about people who do their own work, but need help with grammatical errors? I'm in an English class making B's on my essays, but my professor docks my grade due to grammatical errors and formatting. He says I'm a good writer but need improvement in grammar.

The tutors at school are not helpful and the professor's conference times are during my classes. He apparently doesn't check his emails either, so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Does anybody know where I can get help? Whether it's online or in person is irrelevant.

You owe me $96.

We can start a tab.

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I went through the Klein system. I'm a decent writer and never had issues with creative or technical writing in college. I've been a high level professional since graduating and I have to write quite a bit (business requirements, functional specs, policy documents, technical documents, governance documents, etc).

I thought Klein was a great school system. My parents were involved and I was prepared for school before I ever attended.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

20. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I'm 2 years older than you. The school systems have changed completely since we were in school.