1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An Absolute Insult!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Mar 27, 2000.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

NBAtalk.com's latest poll asks, "Who is the biggest ball hog in the NBA?"

You guessed it, Steve Francis is one of the candidates.

He is currently second-to-last in the voting with 5% of the votes (only in front of Michael Finley who has 0%), so atleast the readers know what they're doing.

------------------
    no pain, no gain.

2. raww

raww Member

Catino was not on the list?

------------------

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Who is the biggest ball hog in the NBA?

Allen Iverson: 40.65%

Stephon Marbury: 25.81%

Vince Carter: 12.90%

Kobe Bryant: 12.26%

Steve Francis: 7.74%

Michael Finley: 0.65

I voted for pigberry. The only REAL bhogs on this list are Pigbery and Iverson. Bryant hasnt been as big of a ballhog this year, but i guess he could be considered one as well. My guess is that they are really grasping for candidates to fill out their list. Shouldnt Larry Hughes be on that list? Or StackHouse?

------------------
    Not only am I president of the WaltWizFanClub, I'm also the member.

Oh yeah, and DoctorofDunk, Houston Rocks, RM95, Rocket Fan, TexSalsa, AzimdaDream, and Shanna.

4. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Bad reputaions are hard to overcome. Stevie unfurtunately has this baggage to carry. Deserved or not most non-Rocket fans are going to know Stevie as the rookie who forced a trade when he didn't want to play in Canada.

He hopefully can overcome this by leading the Rockets to a championship in the future or by a great PR effort by the Rockets and/or the NBA. However until this point Francis will always get slammed.

------------------

5. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Member

If Maurbury deserves "biggest ball hog" Then so does Francis. Maurbury Doesnt shoot way out of wack like the Iversons, and Shaq's of the league, but is one of the top assist men in the league.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Although I would never want to be called a ball hog, I think that Stevie needs to take it as a compliment. At some point all the great ones looked like ball hogs, were called ball hogs, and then when they started winning they were called champions. There have been plenty of ball hogs that went on to do nothing in the NBA... like Mark Macon. So the label can go either way.

The key to shedding this label will be Francis learning from his mistakes when he has the ball. Not repeating them. How does everyone think he's doing so far. Is he repeating the same mistakes? Or is he learning?

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited March 29, 2000).]

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I have to disagree with you Dreamshake.

I used to be a fan of Marbury when he was in Minnesota, but ever since he went to NJ, I think his game has suffered.

And he has put up out of whack numbers. I seem to remember a game this season in which he put up 40 shots. As of late, I think he has been improving, but he started out as a horrible ball hog this year.

------------------
    Not only am I president of the WaltWizFanClub, I'm also the member.

Oh yeah, and DoctorofDunk, Houston Rocks, RM95, Rocket Fan, TexSalsa, AzimdaDream, and Shanna.

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited March 29, 2000).]

8. OT

OT Member

What is a ball hog? Someone who takes lots of shots?

Francis 948 shots attempted
    Marbury 1264 shots attempted
    K Malone 1276 shots attempted
    S Oneal 1456 shots attempted

Who is the hog?

------------------

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I would not classify Iverson as a "ballhog" like the other guys. Philadelphia has PURPOSELY built a team that is geared towards Iverson taking most of the shots. Players like Snow, Lynch, Hill, and Ratliff do not need shots to be effective on the court. Hmm, maybe that is why they START?!?

As for the rest, I definitely think that Marbury is the biggest ballhog. He has players like Van Horn, Gill, and Kittles on his team, all of whom are good scorers. He has already had a run-in with Van Horn. That is not the sign of an unselfish player.

I agree with the earlier posts that Larry Hughes, Jerry Stackhouse, and Cuttino Mobley are among the biggest ballhogs in the league. Hughes can't even shoot, Stackhouse has hidden his "ballhoggedness" by having a good scoring year, and Mobley calls for the iso even when the Rockets are up by thirty. It sucks sometimes how Mobley thinks of his own scoring in situations like that rather than giving other players a chance to rack up some points in a blowout.

------------------

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I voted for Marbury as worst ball-hog. His assit numbers are pretty good, but that didn't have any effect on me. I voted for him because -- from what I've seen of him and from the things I've heard him say -- he doesn't trust his NJ team-mates. His assist numbers are a testament to his skill, but he is a selfish player who is trying to carry NJ on his back. I don't expect to see him getting the assist when the game's on the line. From what I've heard from Francis, he'd like to work within the context of the team; Marbury doesn't want to trust anyone else enough to play like that.

------------------