1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amusing flamebait - are the rich less moral?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhadamanthus, Feb 28, 2012.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

link

Lots of interesting considerations here...and they leave me agreeing and disagreeing. Except on the Prius bit lol.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Man, this thing has been plastered all over the webbernets the last 48 hours.

My general feeling is this. A sense of entitlement is the real culprit here. Not wealth itself.

Being rich does not automatically make one less moral anymore than being poor makes you more moral.

Humility ftw.

3. rhadamanthus

Good point. I'd also argue it systemic - for example, a flat $200 fine for speeding is naturally of less significance to a rich person than a poor person. Inasmuch as our penal code is defined in terms of fixed monetary penalties for wrongdoing - the ability to rationalize risky immorality increases proportionally with wealth.

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

There have been a number of these studies coming out over the past few years.

Here's one:

The best thing about these sorts of articles is that they contribute to the (true) idea that class is the single most important division in American society. Also, the fact that all these studies are coming out really shows what's on the minds of people who do research at an academic level.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is very interesting. What it does for me personally is make me appreciate the honest ones even more.

6. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Is there really anything unethical about not stopping at a crosswalk when you know with confidence that there are no pedestrians using it? I don't think that a person's financial state has anything to do with the morality of breaking crosswalk laws. Its obvious that somebody who is broke would be more hesitant to break the law knowing that there could be financial penalties for doing so, regardless of whether its moral or not.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Does anyone rich or poor stop at crosswalks because they fear a traffic ticket? I don't think so. BUT: I think driving without car insurance does change driving behaviors. And, people driving beaters are less likely to be insured.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I agree. Those who are rich and don't mind paying higher taxes and assisting the poor deserve a lot of credit as opposed to those who jus lobby for even lower taxes and subscribe to philosophies that pretend most of the poor deserve their condition due to personal failings or that is just the way the market falls.

9. rhadamanthus

A similar outlook:

Scientists Say People Aren't Smart Enough For Democracy To Flourish

From the slashdot summary:

An excerpt from the research:

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Go to Vail, CO. There are no major 4-way stops in Vail. Instead, they have redesigned their intersections to be traffic circles/roundabouts.

[​IMG]

In large part, they did it because they were having so many accidents at 4-way stops as the ass in the Mercedes and the jerk in the BMW both think they are important enough to go first.

After they put the first one in, accidents with injuries decreased by 75% at the intersection.

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Rather than the rich being less moral, I would say being able to get away with immoral behavior makes one less moral.

Therefore people with "power" would obviously behave less morally. Regardless of whether this power comes from more wealth, more knowledge, better looks, better charm, or whatever inherent advantage a person may have.

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I bet all of these studies were conducted purely without agenda.

I wonder if the Prius bit was a smoke screen or a mirror.