1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amnesty Ryan Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HtownTrill, Dec 29, 2017.

1. theimpossibles1

I spent a crapload of time on this so I am going to w**** it out as much as I can:
    [​IMG]

2. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

I hated the Ryan Anderson signing from the day we signed him.

His contract is worse than the contract that we gave Maurice Taylor, Kelvin Cato, Matt Maloney and Jeremy Lin.
    Anderson is probably worth no more than 6 or 7 million a year.
    On top of that, his salary goes up and he will be making more than 20 million next year.

It took us a first round pick to move Jeremy Lin.
    It will probably take 3 first round picks to move Ryan Anderson.

He is so bad, that not even Sacramento wants him anymore, and they were the team that originally tried to sign him.

The worst part is that his contract takes up much salary cap space, that it prevents us form signing players that we desperately need.

#22 Huricane, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    lw17, BigggReddd, Zboy and 1 other person like this.
  3. anchel

anchel Member

Lol

He's a good team guy and role player. I want him on my team. He's overpaid by 4-5M, not more.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

U think erig gordon is overpaid?

aroundtheblock2 and Pen15clubber like this.
  5. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Reported for giving Morey ideas.

6. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

1 game back with him, right?

In all fairness.

SIL

7. Huricane

Anderson may be a good team guy and a role player, but I am not paying team guys and role players an average of 20 million per year.
    Role players get the bi-annual exception or the mid-level exception.

If Anderson was a free agent this past summer, he would have be lucky to have received an offer over 9 million.
    I could see a team offer him 8 million if they were desperate for a three point shooter.

The thing is, he may be a team player, but he lacks heart and his work ethic sucks.
    Furthermore, he has only made minimal gains year over year in the NBA.

A guy earning 19 million a year needs to be a borderline all-star or have all-star talent.

Say what you want about Donatas Motiejunas, but he good work ethic, was a team guy, and he had heart as well as not being a mental midget.
    I would take DMo over Anderson any day of the week, and we would have only been paying him 8 million a year.
    Unfortunately, the bridge between the Rockets and DMo has long since been burned.
    There is no way the Rockets would call DMo's agent, and even is the Rockets called, DMo's representative would not return the call.

The Rockets are paying 19 million this year for Ryan to be a dead-eye three point shooter.
    A role he has performed only marginally based on his salary, and by extension... the expectations by management and fans.

Let me be very frank and summarize, for 19 million a year:
    1.) Ryan has not performed up expectations and failed to improve in the off-season
    2.) There is better talent available for 19 million per year.

lw17, hakeem94 and Beardaholic13 like this.
  8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Stay calm

Vivi likes this.
  9. Huricane

One more point, if Anderson was only "overpaid" by 4 or 5 million, we would have already traded him.
    The Rockets tried all summer to trade Ryan, but were not able to because he is overpaid by at least 10 million per year.

Go back and look at how long the Carmelo Anthony thread is.
    Why did New York fail to consummate the trade despite the fact that Carmelo put a gun to the forehead of Knicks Management and said "trade him me to the Rockets so I can play with my BFF Chris Paul."

To be fair, Ryan does things that can help teams win and he has helped the Rockets win games.
    The caveat is that, at Ryan's current salary, he has negative value. Why?
    You need a certain amount of production from each player as a percentage of the salary cap.
    if you don't get that production form your higher salaried players, then it is hard to make up that lost production when you have a salary cap because you can not go out a sign another player to off-set the lost production from your under-performing players.

#29 Huricane, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    lw17 likes this.
  10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I'll never understand why Morey always overpays these scrubs that have no potential then end up having to give up all our 1st round picks.

Morey severely undervalues 1st round picks and always ends up giving them away. He gave one away as well for CP3 (god knows why) and you look at successful teams like the Spurs and Warriors who utilize their 1st round picks and they actually contribute meaningful minutes instead of just another player who rots on the bench during the regular season.

it's like drafting Royce White killed all of Morey's beliefs on 1st round picks.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Take him on your team.

We don't want him on our team.

pippendagimp and J.R. like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ryan anderson was a significant contributor on best offense in history of the game

then injuries happened

hes not easily replaceable and i doubt you can find a player in the league with such range and such percentage of shooting 3s

13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Morey overpaid this guy named James Harden once. Wonder if that worked out?

14. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

AD is frustrated. How about sending Anderson, 1st rounder 2018, Capela, and filler(Bobbi Brown) for Davis?

lw17 likes this.
  15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

You guys realize we're still 25-9 despite getting obliterated by injuries these past five losses, right...? "Lost out on a potential championship" because we couldn't sign Lebron... Freakin el oh el. We have a shot at a title *this* year *with* Ryno. Let alone with Lebron.

I'm not saying I'd bet on us right now. I wouldn't bet on anyone against GS, but if you ask me, we are pretty clearly the greatest threat to GS since they got Durant.

In 93-94, when the Rockets won their first title, they started out 22-1. Tied for the best start after 23 games in NBA history. They played decently after to get to 27-4, eerily similar to our start this year. They then lost five of six including four straight against mostly garbage opponents, and that was without any injury issues I can remember.

People need to freakin relax.

16. Huricane

Here are a few players that give you the same production at lesser cost.
    The exception is Al Horford. While he makes significantly more, he also gives you significantly more production.

You basicly need a small forward, power forward or center that can shoot 40% from the three to spread the floor for Harden, Paul and Gordon to drive to the basket and keep defenses honest. There are actually about 40 to 50 guys that fit the bill. Here are few examples.

Bojan Bogdanovich - 2 years, 21 million
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...r-reportedly-withdrawn-by-wizards-will-be-ufa

JJ Redick - 1 year, 23 million (He would have singed a multi-year contract for less)
    https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/7/1/15909056/j-j-redick-76ers-23-million-nba-free-agency-2017

Al Horford - 4 years, 113 million
    http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/al-horford-2199/

Ersan Ilyasova - 1 year, 6 million
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...reportedly-agree-to-1-year-6-million-contract

Serge Ibaka - 3 years, 65 million
    https://www.si.com/nba/2017/07/02/serge-ibaka-contract-toronto-raptors-nba-free-agency

Marvin Williams - 4 years, 55 Million (singed in 2016 and doesn't have the injury issues that Ryan has)
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...tte-hornets-agree-new-four-year-545m-contract

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Also have heard him mention on a podcast that teams are getting way smarter about drafting, so the late-round value isn't what it used to be

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I never realized he was just a 65% FT shooter at home. That's awful from a supposed great shooter. I gave him slack because he was usually consistent on the road but he hasn't even been that this season. Absolute no show on this recent road trip and he no excuses because of fatigue or whatever because he's averaging less than minutes than on the win streak. This p***y needs to man the **** up.

lw17 likes this.
  19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Or he could have offered him nothing and passed.

pippendagimp likes this.
  20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Which other stretch pf was still avail at that time?