1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American POW freed in prisoner swap. And the GOP doesn't like it.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mr.Scarface, May 31, 2014.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Who are you?

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

from that CMS article:

Since so much has been said of this POW (almost, if not, more then Obama breaking the law)... see the quote above from Hagel. They know well that he may be a deserter and their position seems very logical to me. He's an American soldier that was captured. Get him home and then we will dealt with whatever may come later.

Or do we assume he's a deserter and let him rot there?

Which one is the American way?

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The American way would be to let the decision be made by our elected representatives which is the law. This is even more obvious when POW in question is a suspected deserter.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I understand. And I bet more people would lean more towards your point of view than mine.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not my political perspective, I'm not a Republican or Democrat. Simply put, even in this thread I had 2 different takes on the situation, one before I knew more about it, and one once I'd heard from a few friends who are still in about what really went on.

Initially I was a bit uneasy at the precedent that was being set, but I was glad that the soldier was coming home.....of course that all changed when I heard that he was a deserter. I trust my sources FAR more than any media report or any official line of BS from the government

The ONLY possibility that the kid isn't a traitor is that he's some kind of method acting SF guy who managed to fool his entire unit into buying his cover story before his op. I'll believe the more likely scenario until evidence to the contrary surfaces.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

History said no to that.

I'm not sure that's the American way if those in power have a small window of opportunity to make this happen or not. Do we strictly follow the law (which is claimed to be unconstitutional) for the sake of following the law? We also have move on and and "forgive" past Presidents for going on their own ("breaking" the law) when it comes to getting our captured back home.

And, if it is so abusive and bad what the President (include past Presidents) did, we do have way to get rid of the b*stard.... impeachment.

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Isn't the law's requirement merely notifying Congress, not "consulting" them?

8. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I would say that U.S. doesn't negotiate with terrorists.. but it appears they do now.

the thread has a stupid title in hindsight. total fail in trying to deflect blame on the GOP.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They only negotiate with terrorists for the safe return of traitors so they can plan the next base shooting.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

small window. smh. yeah taliban would never had made the deal tomorrow or the next day. Of course not. Obama had to break the law in order to get him back. window and what not.

yes we do. not sure what point you are making.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

12. treeman

treeman Member

13. treeman

treeman Member

It's not bull. Quite a few people from his old unit are coming out now. I am a member of another board whose members are exclusively verified military and LEOs and there is A LOT of anger there over this. There are people there who knew him and who were involved in the operations to recover him, and they have verified most of what we are hearing along this vein.

The dude was a mental case and he deserted, and people died looking for him. He deserves UCMJ, not a hero's welcome.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is still check and balance. Law is broken (or not)... and the people, congress in this case, can exercise its power of impeachment if necessary. IOW, I'm not so worked up on Obama breaking the law (if the law is even constitutional) to get a POW home because, well, we have a history of breaking law to get our captured home and the consequences of that had played out. The consequences of this will get played out too. I suspect we are fine and ok.

15. Dubious

After 10 years in Gitmo, subject to whatever techniques the CIA can dream up, from house arrest in Qatar?

If you were a Taliban would you trust them?

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Our CIA would never do.... humm.

17. Dubious

You just indicted your own assumption of guilt.

18. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I don't want to be the guy that just says "This" in response to a post but this is perfect. The D&D is so full of instant outrage and scrutiny based exclusively on political stances that this is refreshing to see. The rabid eagerness of the overnight experts to paint this guy as a deserter is baffling, it is like they actually WANT this guy to be a deserter. If it turns out that he is a deserter then outrage away and I will hope he is dealt with appropriately. I work in a cubicle and will not potentially slander (which is all regurgitated from the chain email you read this morning) a potentially innocent soldier, he deserves some benefit of the doubt for now.

19. treeman

treeman Member

I believe that he is guilty because there are quite a few people who were there indicating he was. He was not plucked from his bed at the COB, he walked off post and everyone in the entire unit knew it. What boggles my mind is that the administration didn't seem to know this. Even Rolling Stone knew it years ago - they published an article about this case.

I want him to get his trial and be subject to UCMJ, that is all. Do you have a problem with that?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Just curious, do you assume that Lee Harvey Oswald was innocent? He never got a trial so you'd have to right?