1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

American Peace Activist Shot in West Bank

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Htownhero, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

JERUSALEM — An American peace activist working as a human shield in the West Bank was seriously wounded on Saturday when Israeli troops allegedly opened fire on him.

Brian Avery, 24, from Albuquerque, N.M., heard shots fired and came out of his apartment building in Jenin to investigate just as an armored personnel carrier rounded a corner, said Tobias Karlsson, a fellow activist from Sweden.

Both Avery and Karlsson are members of the Palestinian-backed group International Solidarity Movement.

"We had our hands up and we were wearing vests that clearly identified us as international workers when they began firing," Tobias said. "Brian was shot in the face, and it looks like he was hit by a heavy caliber bullet because of the extent of the wound."

Avery was taken to a Jenin hospital but will be transferred to an Israeli hospital. There was no immediate comment from the army.

Tobias said he, Avery and a Palestinian medical worker not with the group were approached slowly by the troops and stood with their hands up for about 10 minutes. There was no communication with the soldiers, who Tobias says fired unprovoked.

Avery was semiconscious when taken in the ambulance, Tobias said. There were few Palestinians on the streets Saturday because of a curfew Israeli troops were enforcing.

Another American member of the group was killed on March 16 while trying to stop an Israeli military bulldozer in the Gaza Strip. She fell in front of the machine, which ran over her and then backed up, witnesses said.

Israeli officials are still investigating the bulldozer incident that killed 23-year-old Rachel Corrie, a student at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Wash.

link
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Damn, another one. Nobody responded to this either. When we get to 3, can we start to say that there is a serious problem.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I thought there was a serious problem before number 1. Americans should not be supporting terrorists.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

"Nothing is more important in the face of a war than cutting taxes."

Oski, could you provide a cite for this funny?

5. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

wow. thats incredibly simplistic. :)

6. Oski2005

Well, I guess you believe every Palestinian is a terrorist. Thanks for clearing that up.

glynch, just copy and paste the url under the quote into your browser.

7. StupidMoniker

No, I know the majority of Palestinians support terrorism. I know this because every poll taken in Palestine shows it to be true. I know it is seen as radical to support the people who don't condone the wholesale slaughter of innocent women and children, but I will take the lesser (by far) of 2 evils. To me, creating settlements and forcing people off their land is not nearly as bad as killing people, but I guess that is just my simplistic opinion.

8. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

And incredibly true. Often the simple answer is the right one.

9. sinohero

sinohero Member

What AMERICAN ARROGANCE to think that the IDF should treat them any different than everyone else!

10. Oski2005

Hmm, I would hope the IDF doesn't shoot anybody who puts their hands up and stands still in the face.

11. sinohero

sinohero Member

Besides the fact that that detail was from a (presumably) one-sided testimony (the Rachel Corrie case proved to contain much detail unreported initially that changed the story drastically)....

There's a frigin' CURFEW.

12. Oski2005

Of course, a curfew. I totally forgot that the penalty of breaking curfew is getting shot. Well, the Nazis employed curfews as well, so I now I understand why it's ok.

13. Oski2005

I'll wait and see what the army says, but something about a person with his hands up getting shot bugs me, I didn't know that it was dumb to be bothered by something like that.

14. sinohero

sinohero Member

It would be unfortunate if you get shot during a gunfight under curfew. Unfortunate, but not an atrocity.

Funny how quickly your imagination drifts from the IDF to the Nazis. Reading too much indymedia is detrimental to mental health.

15. Oski2005

Ah yes, you know me so well, CNN, Fox, NBC, ABC, and CBS are considered indymedia:rolleyes: By the way, could you please name the indymedia I apparantly read, because I honestly don't know of any.

Oh, oh, my imagination is drifting, look out. Yes, I see it now, you get off on being an ass when talking about or with people who disagree with you. When your done cleaning your keyboard, please post some links to this indymedia stuff because I'm curious now.

16. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

A human shield is inherently dangerous.

17. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

Exactly. When you go over there to potentially take a bullet, don't complain when it happens.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

For the simple or lazy mind.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Damn a turkey shoot. Do youy get more points for a face hit?

20. StupidMoniker

Yeah, damn that lazy William of Occam. :D