1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

American Idol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tharges, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Did anyone see that person who walked in with the acoustic guitar slung over it's back in yesterday's show. Then, sang solo and sang while playing the guitar.

Was that an actual female? The performance was unusual and good but I swear that was a guy wearing a dress or something. I'm still baffled. Anyone?

2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I don't know either but "it" was the most original artist on the show thus far. Randy is so not funny, Mariah has a rigor mortis thing about her, Kieth Urban looks grossly out of place and I actually think Nikki Minaj is going to save this season. Love him or hate him, Seacrest is always solid. He doesn't try too hard to be funny/interesting and I think he manages the show really well.

3. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Off the top of my head regarding success after the show:

Kelly Clarkson/Carrie Underwood -- massive record sales/music careers

Daughtry - same

Adam Lambert - decent not great career so far sales-wise

Jennifer Hudson - modest music career, Won Best Actress Academy Award for Dreamgirls

Katherine McPhee - currently starring in Smash on NBC, playing lead

Clay Aiken - (blech), but, 5 million records sold

Constantine Maroulis - Nominated for Best Actor Tony Award for Rock of Ages

Probably others I'm forgetting.

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I still watch the show, but I completely skip into Hollywood week.

5. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

I can't stand the sob stories and the black girl with the clown hair styles. They rarely show the bad singers anymore, which made the show entertaining. It's just sob story after sob story. And every sob story gets their golden ticket, it's so predictable, so boring. I might watch Hollywood week though, see if it holds my interest.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

gotta say, this may have been one hell of a call. tonight is quickly making me agree.

she has something poignant and original to say after pretty much everybody (which seems hard as hell to do on the fly), and seems like she is the first judge since simon to not be afraid to hurt feelings with harsh critiques.

but, mariah = borderline useless, urban = fully worthless. his shtick with laughing every time there's a vocal run or moment he enjoys is cringe=worthy.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

agreed. Have thought the same now since the first few episodes

And I enjoy Keith Urban too. He's funny off the cuff

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

the judges are so bad this year that i actually fast forward through them to get to the performances. then, i fast forward through some of the performances. i'm doing a lot of fast forwarding this season on my DVR. lol.

9. 713

713 Member

Looks like all 4 judges are gone for next year..

Source: http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/i...ll-four-judges-getting-massive-makeover-90256

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xAXxZUzHml8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I think Keith Urban is really good at this and unlike most artists he seems to really be well versed with all types of music.

If I were them I would retain him and go back to three judges.

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

my god i couldn't disagree more. i'd say he makes a strong case for worst judge they've ever had.

usually just repeats what another judge says, never provides any worthwhile critiques, and everything he says has a positive spin. just useless.

the show is pretty much dead unless they were to lure simon back.

12. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I agree about Urban. Seems like a nice guy but not a good fit for this show.
    My lineup:
    Harry Connick Jr.
    Jamie Foxx
    John Rich
    Pink

alternates:
    Brett Michaels
    Little Richard
    Kanye West
    Celine Dion

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Gwen Stefani wouldn't be a bad choice. I thought she was surprisingly good the times she mentored in the past. Will I Am would be good as well.

14. dragician

dragician Member

worst season by far.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

agreed, but the winner makes a damn strong case for the best voice the show has ever seen.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

And I thought Angie's (3rd place) voice was incredible too. So on point for someone singing live. She had some performance issues, but her voice was never in question. I really think she could have won it if she pulled out some sentimental stuff more (the other 2 did a lot of crying and "growing" emotionally, esp. on the episode where they went home)

17. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

She made the season worth it for me. I ended up DVR'ing and fast forwarding through almost everything but her. If you want to revisit her bad-assery, look up her rendition of John Legend's "Ordinary People" on YouTube.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

i tell ya, i thought jennifer hudson had a timeless, powerhouse of a voice, but when they sang the duet at the finale, she got sung under the table. candice made her sound like a loud, screaming, one-trick pony. it really can't be overstated how flawless her voice is.

amazing that she slipped through the cracks for two seasons, but that may be the same reason why she may not end up a commercial success. a tad lacking in the charisma category. i'm sure rooting for her though.

19. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I agree and it's a shame because I also agree with cardpire that Jasmine and Kree were two of the best voices that show has seen.

It just goes to show that judge chemistry drives the bus for AI. If viewers don't like the judges, they aren't going to watch the show. Are AI's ratings ever going to get back to where they were in their heyday? No, because no one gets ratings like that anymore. But I think they can get a lot of viewers back if they make smart judge choices before next season.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

My wife and I enjoyed the season's first half but I wound up screaming for them to get rid of Lazaro.

Then it comes down to Nicki's obvious attempts to detonate Kree so that Amber could advance. Every time the judges gave Amber a standing ovation I'd be like, Okay, she's hot, but she's always flat on the low notes.

Judges and producers: quit trying to steer the show's voters.

Then Kree advanced to the final because the show couldn't avoid talking about her tragic past in the week the finalists visited home. After all the careful machinations of judges and producers to set up an Angie-Candice showdown.

I like Kree, though. Hope she has a good career.

Good riddance, Randy Jackson. See ya dawg. You're not in it to win it. Bromide bromide bromide.