1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American Idol Favorite Quits

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DUCK2324, Mar 14, 2005.

1. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/14/tv.american.idol.ap/index.html
    'American Idol' finalist withdraws
    Show replaces Mario Vazquez with Nikko Smith
    Monday, March 14, 2005 Posted: 1321 GMT (2121 HKT)

Mario Vazquez (top right) dropped out of "American Idol" Sunday.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Fan favorite Mario Vazquez withdrew from "American Idol" on Sunday, and producers called in the son of a baseball Hall of Famer as backup.

Vazquez, 27, cited "personal reasons" for his withdrawal and no other details were available, Fox announced in a statement. The New York City singer, who works with emerging musical artists, had been picked by many fans and three fellow finalists as a favorite to win the competition.

Fox bumped Nikko Smith, the son of baseball great Ozzie Smith, into Vazquez's spot because Smith got more votes than Travis Tucker when both were voted off Wednesday, the network said.

Smith, 22, of St. Louis, Missouri, said in an interview before Sunday's announcement that he wasn't surprised to have been voted off.

"I wasn't as disappointed as people thought I would be because I've made it so far," he told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "I'm happy to get all that exposure. Millions and millions of people watch the show, and hopefully somebody saw me and liked what they saw."

Now, viewers of the No. 1-rated series will get a chance to reconsider their votes as Smith and the other 11 finalists perform next Tuesday.

Vazquez is not the first to leave "Idol" unexpectedly, though few have done so willingly. Last year, George Huff was called back to Los Angeles when contestant Donnie Williams was cited for DUI. And in 2003, three contestants were dropped by Fox, two for failing to disclose arrest records and another for posing on an adult-oriented Web site

#1 DUCK2324, Mar 14, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  2. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I'm devastated.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I didn't know that guy was Ozzie Smith's son.

I'm glad that other dude quit though, now Bo Bice has a better chance of winning. This guy actually recorded with one of the Allman brothers. How do you take down the "Man"? You have to infiltrate and tear the system down from the inside. So Bo Bice is there to throw a wrench in this whole American Idol thing.

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Bo Bice sucks. I dont know why everyone is hyping him up. I really liked Mario but I dont think anyone has a chance against Anwar or whatever the hell his name is. That dude is just freaking good.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Go Constantine!

6. DUCK2324

bo bice, Anwar and that fine blond girl have to be the early favorites now

7. Fatty FatBastard

Actuall, I think Bo is great. He's bringing in a new sound, and I think it's great.

He wasn't that special last week, but the week before he was awesome.

8. Cesar^Geronimo

Bo, Anwar and the black girl with the big hair are my early favorites, but Anwar was the only one that sang a version of a song (What a Wonderful World) that I would actually pay money for.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Article posts need to include links. Thanks ...

10. Oski2005

If you liked Mario and think Bo sucks, then I guess that means you don't like rock music at all. If that's the case, then how can you say Bo sucks just because you doesn't he your kind of music?

Edit: I just noticed I wrote "you doesn't sing. . ." instead of "he doesn't sing" Man, that made me look r****ded.

#10 Oski2005, Mar 14, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  11. DUCK2324

link has been added

12. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

I can't see how anyone can say that Bo sucks. I can see how people might think that he's ugly or has bad hair, but that dude can sing. He sounds so real. I would probably pay to have a recording of his "Tied to the Whipping Post". That was bad-ass in my opinion.

I also think that Anwar blew everyone away last week. I thought Mario was okay and I can see how he was a favorite because he kind of had that "Idol" look, but I thought his singing wasn't powerful enough. He was cheesy boybandish to me, which I guess is what American Idol is all about. He also reminded me of Slater from Saved by the Bell.

The chick with big hair I think has the best chance for the girls.

I'm glad that Nikko's back. I didn't think he should have been voted off.

13. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I like rock music. I just dont care for his voice or his style. When I watch the show, I watch for performances that I feel are of star quality. Anwar, Mario, and The Fro Chick are the only ones that have done that for me. They have that star power. I dont think Bo has it and I think Constantine is even worse. I honestly cant believe that Constantine even made the top 12.

14. mduke

mduke Member

Good. I liked Nikko...he should've been in over constantine and anthony anyway...

15. Oski2005

I agree that Constantine has been doing terrible, but I just don't see how anyone can say Bo Bice sucks.

16. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I really want to see that Elimidate episode with Constantine. Dude looks like he preys on high school girls.

17. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

He should have been voted off last week instead of Nikko.

Your stock just plummetted.;)

18. Two Sandwiches

I like the guy. I think his singing is good. I don't think it's American Idol material, but I think he'd be awesome in a rock band(not like the metal-style one he was in before). I respect what he did to be on the show a ton, too. Plus, I think it's great that he brings a fresh approach to the stage. He's a great performer, which is why I think he's doing so well.

All of that makes me root for the guy. He's just a likeable guy in general.

19. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

I was really rooting for Constantine, but he's very disappointing vocally. Everything else about him looks star quality, but he is just not a very good singer. He's okay, but he's in a competition with singers that can run circles around him. He's way outclassed in the singing department. I think that the problem with Constantine is that based on his 'modern rocker' look, I was hoping that he would have some super high range and rock out like maybe the singer from Jet or something like that. I was disappointed when he did "Hard to Handle" at least a full step below the key of the record. Personally, I know people that could sing that song way better than he did.

Now, Bo Bice may not have the inhuman range of Anwar, but he's got a great sound out of his voice as well as very good control. I think the judges really like him because he is the real thing. If he loses, I'm sure that it's mainly because of the way he looks. If it was Constantine's look with Bo's voice, there would be no competion. They would just have to give the whole thing to him.

20. Two Sandwiches

I think the only thing holding him back is that he doesn't think he'll do well in the contest if he does let go like that. That's definitely unfortunate. I think he has the talent though.

I loved Bo Bice's song selection last week. It was perfect. My girlfriend and I were sitting there watching, and he walks out singing "I'll be", and we both love that song. He definitely gained a few points that night.:)