1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American beheaded by ISIS, Obama makes remarks and then heads straight to the golf course

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ISIS didn't gain traction in Iraq, it gained traction in Syria. U.S. troops staying in Iraq would only have prevented or delayed ISIS from moving into Iraq when they did. They were gathering strength in Syria for a while.

You are making a lot of presumptions without knowing facts. Should Bush have stopped Al Qaeda from rising? From Al Qaeda in iraq from forming? Your line of argument is that irrational.

Yes ISIS is a serious threat. But using the beheading of each American to take a dig at the president is kinda gross. I am sure if that was someone you cared about the last thing you'd want to here is someone politicizing that death.

As for Obama's response. There's a lot of people clamoring for decisive action. That's not this president's MO. In fact, he was partly elected because he wouldn't be easily swayed into going to war.

I don't have a problem with taking the time to formulate a strategy to utterly defeat these guys on every single possible level. You have to decisively hit them militarily, economically, and politically. Not just one. Building a coalition involving the whole world to accomplish all three makes sense. I'd rather this be the world vs. ISIS than the USA vs. ISIS.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Oh great point.

I forgot what a marvelous job Obama did handling the Syrian mess. A+ there, for sure

lmao

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah well, I for one want this to be Sunni states stepping up a bit more. This can't be USA vs. ISIL - all that it will happen is that the next version will pop up in 10-15 years.

You have to cut off the source. This has to be an Arab fight. It can't just be the USA going in to kick butt.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If it wasn't for Obama not doing anything in Syria ISIS would have owned it completely by now.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . .are we gonna put boots on the ground and go with a full fledge WAR ON ISIS?
    Is this what people WANT us to do?

What SHOULD be the plan here?

Rocket River

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Yeah, its real easy to call for war when you got no skin in the game.

For once, force the rest of the world to do something, it doesnt always have to be the US saving everyone's butts. Europe is in far more danger from these assholes, so lets see if Europe actually cares enough to spearhead a response, Im sick and tired of my fellow citizens and our money going to do everyone else's jobs.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If they are not willing to fight, they should at least fund 90% of all the operational costs.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who *exactly* do we want in charge over there?

There are millions of people over there who don't want anything to do with any side
    They want to work, eat, and sleep in peace
    How many many of them will be blow up to get to that minority os A-holes causing war

"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think. Don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome." - River Tamm 'Serenity' <--- describes the American Corporate way that drives our military policy

Rocket River

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I'd like to know when some of us became such emotional invalids that they have to have such an overwhelming dislike for the President of their own country? This goes both ways, Bush haters. You don't see this as much in other countries; yes, they criticize politicians and leaders, but they are much more willing to stand behind them rather than using every single incident possible to convey their dislike/hatred.

When did it get to this? As kids, we grew up believing that you respect the President, respect the military, respect school teachers, etc. All the while, we were taught that we, as citizens have a voice and have the right to say what we want w/o fear of arrest (obviously, there are exceptions). I mean, when did it get to the point where some of us can't even have a grain-of-sand respect for the person elected to lead our country?

I'll speak to the Obama haters rather than the Bush haters b/c I wasn't frequenting the board much then; the next time a Republican takes office, I'll be glad to steer this toward them:

Don't hate Obama. Hate yourself. Or, at least, hate the part of yourself that allows you to maintain this monomaniacal fixation on President Obama as if he were really all that bad. You know it's not the case. You've criticized him for vacations yet ignored those of others. You've criticized his handling of American citizens being executed yet ignored similar incidents under others. Everyone from Washington to Bush Jr has had their Benghazis, vacations, signature legislations, economic obstacles, etc. And all of them deserve to be critically evaluated, but is it really necessary to do so to the extent that you've lost all objectivity?

When it gets to the point that there is literally nothing Obama could do that would cause you to provide a fair, unbiased evaluation, then it is time to start looking at the real source of your dissatisfaction: yourself. Blame yourself for getting too emotionally involved in politics. Blame yourself for mastering the art of selective outrage. Blame yourself for letting your pride overcome your reason. Blame yourself for enabling social media and the Internet to act counter-productively against you, as it should be the means by which you can make the most reasoned, impartial decisions.

Blame yourself.

4 people like this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qgce06Yw2ro" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

People following their leadership

Rocket River

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I was at the Baylor game on Sunday and I stood up and cheered when our former president surprised the crowd by being there for the coin toss. I'm not going to lie and say it's only one side because both do it, but it's one thing to disagree with your president and it's another thing to be completely disrespectful of them. And being happy when a reporter is beheaded so one can try and score a political point on an internet message board is beyond dispicable.

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't hate the president so much as I hold him in the same disdain with which he holds me, and others like me who disagree with his policies.

I hate many of his supporters however, although i must say it's almost directly related to the way these same supporters (not i did not say "posters", although the same sentiment may apply) treated W. the left lost its collective mind during the 2000 election, even before the florida debacle.

my reactions since are "almost" entirely in response.

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Its not any more right to do it in this case than it was with the Lin fans.:rolleyes:

A very childish response, except politics means something....basketball does not.

ah hell, why am I bothering, you wont engage in any sort of discussion that matters....you're nothing more than a shill and I should know better than to engage you.

15. basso

Supporting Member

it might be childish- it's certainly an emotional response. but, google the phrase "bush hitler" and go back and read some of the pre-2008 threads, and perhaps you'll find equally childish things.

and name calling, like "you're a shill," and considerably worse, including death threats.

hardly fosters engagement.

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

yet it's exclusively how you post. :confused:

LOL good ole D&D - Home of the full-of-****, hypocritical, impotent blowhards.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Heh... I suspect there will be a wave of "Well, he deserves it" and "well, they were mean to Bush too". But if folks are truly honest with themselves...

What candidate before Obama was:
    Accused of not being a US citizen?
    Accused and criticized for being educated in a Madrasa, of being Muslim?
    Of not graduating from the college he attended?
    Of being associated with terrorists?
    Of attending a radical church, led by a pastor who was a radical, a racist?
    Heck, there was even a t-shirt depicting him as a monkey.

And when they ran out of things to attack him, they turned their attention to his wife.

And all this *before* he was President... before they could criticize anything he did as President.

So sure, previous Presidents were criticized, and occasionally for things unrelated to their politics or things they did. But nothing near what has happened with this President.

Kudos Dandorotik and Rockets2K... btw, I believe two people with different political viewpoints but in agreement on what is right and fair.

18. basso

Supporting Member

What is how I post? Calling other posters names?

19. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

His stance isn't really hypocritical. He explained he decided to lower himself to the level of those acting in the same fashion towards the previous President. If anything, he's guilty of tit-for-tat and he doesn't stand alone.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Please, no insults against other members. People have gotten infractions for such things. Keep D&D civil :p ;).