1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

America-hating Pelosi Supports Japanese WWII Aggression

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaFingerWag, Sep 2, 2008.

1. DaFingerWag

DaFingerWag Member

Hiroshima Pelosi ... I'm speechless. With this visit, she practically dishonors the memories of our soldiers who gave the ultimate sacrifice during WWII. Freaking liberals.

Link

Pelosi visits Hiroshima atomic bomb memorial
    House speaker is highest-ranking serving U.S. official to visit site of attack

updated 4:02 a.m. CT, Tues., Sept. 2, 2008
    HIROSHIMA, Japan - U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Tuesday became the highest-ranking serving American official to pay respects at the memorial site of the world's first atomic bomb attack.

Democrat Pelosi is in Japan for a two-day gathering of top legislators from the Group of Eight industrialized countries.

On Tuesday morning, she and the other G-8 representatives visited Hiroshima's Peace Memorial Park before heading into an all-day meeting.

No sitting U.S. president or vice president has ever visited Hiroshima. As speaker of the House of Representatives, Pelosi is second in line to the presidency after U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney.

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter stopped by the memorial in 1984, after his presidency, but he did not visit in any official capacity.

Paying respects
    Genyu Izawa, a Buddhist priest, stood by as each of the G-8 officials laid flowers at the arch-shaped monument inside of which a stone chest holds the names of bomb victims.

"As a Japanese, I am grateful that they are thinking about this and have all gathered here, the site of the atomic bombing," said Izawa, who traveled from Tokyo to show his support to Pelosi for her longtime commitment to Tibet issues.

An estimated 140,000 people were killed instantly or died within a few months after an American B-29 bomber dropped its lethal payload on Aug. 6, 1945.

Three days later on Aug. 9, 1945, the United States dropped a nuclear bomb on the city of Nagasaki, killing about 80,000 people. Japan surrendered on Aug. 15, ending World War II.

Japan, which adopted a pacifist constitution after the war, has since become one of the staunchest opponents of nuclear proliferation.

Ban on nuclear weapons urged
    At a ceremony last month marking the 63rd anniversary of the bombing, Hiroshima Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba urged the next U.S. president to support a proposed ban on nuclear weapons. And Japan submitted a resolution in the United Nations last year calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. Akiba said 170 nations supported it, with the United States. one of only three countries opposed.

The gathering of G-8 officials in Hiroshima will focus on peace and disarmament, but is not expected to result in any major agreements or statements.

Sadami Naganishi, 73, of Hiroshima said she hopes their visit to the city is a step forward in ridding the world of nuclear weapons.

"I hope they see what happened here, and take that back to their countries," said Naganishi, whose father died of a bomb-related illness several years after the war.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh come on, it is time to heal old wounds.....dialogue is good.

DD

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Have you lost your mind? She just went to the site. Big deal.

4. Caboose

Caboose Member

what's wrong with visiting Hiroshima?

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't get it, did she say something controversial?

Are we supposed to stay in some kind of silent grudge with Japan forever?

How does visiting the site of the bombing, several decades and generations later, dishonor the memory of anyone?

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yes....more us vs. them!!! We haven't fought a war against the Japanese in 70 years, but let's continue to divide!!! More division!!! More war!!! Clearly that's the best course!!!

What a joke. If this is what it means to be a patriot...that I can't mourn for humanity in war...then you can have my share of patriotism. I'm no Pelosi fan....but this is absurd.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Can somebody explain to me how this is wrong? I thought Japan was one of our allies now. :confused:

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The only reason I think of holding a grudge against an ally this long is to open the possibility of nuking them again.

9. lpbman

lpbman Member

Do we ban Japanese from paying their respects at Arlington?

Wow.

10. Caboose

Caboose Member

on my god Cindy McCain visited Vietnam? No.... That communist, Anti- America traitor :rolleyes:

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Even US WW2 vet groups have visited the site and planted a cherry blossom tree....but far be it from Pelosi going.

SHEESH !

DD

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

DaFingerWag, can you please tell us why this is a big deal? Why it is so wrong?

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Trying to figure out why paying respects to the memorial of the Hiroshima atom bomb victims means she supports WWII aggression.

Does visiting the Vietnam Memorial mean that a person supported the war policies of the Kennedy/Johnson/Nixon administrations?

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

America hating Pelosi Supports Japanese WWII Aggression.

This is probably the most misleading, intentionally dishonest thread title in the history of this forum.

And that's saying something when you're competing with basso and teej.

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of Nancy Pelosi in any way, shape or form. However, I don't see how this dishonors WWII veterans or the United States as a whole. This "issue" IMO is a non-starter.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Threads criticizing a woman for having a down-syndrome baby and having a daughter who is pregnant, and now this.

Man, this whole forum really went down the crapper over the weekend.