1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[America] Anyone been to Cuba?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, May 29, 2012.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Thinking about going the week of 4th of July (ironic, I know).

Anyone been? Is it better to fly via Canada or Mexico?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Knock Knock !!

Who is there?

REPORTED !!!

DD

3. s land balla

It's only illegal to spend money in Cuba, not visit. ;)

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Canada.
    Mexican airlines sometimes provide flight passenger lists to US.
    Canadian airlines will respect your privacy.

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Best to go by way of Jamaica or another Caribbean island.

6. DaDakota

Actually it IS illegal to visit - if you are a US citizen.

DD

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Hey DD! Let me google that for you.

New Ways to Visit Cuba — Legally

Thanks to policy changes by President Obama earlier this year designed to encourage more contact between Americans and citizens of the Communist-ruled island, the Treasury Department is once again granting so-called “people-to-people” licenses, which greatly expand travel opportunities for Cuba-bound visitors.

The licenses, created under President Bill Clinton in 1999, stopped being issued in 2003 under travel restrictions imposed by President George W. Bush. Subsequently, the number of travelers from the United States visiting Cuba legally dropped from more than 200,000 in 2003 to less than 50,000 in 2004, according to estimates by Bob Guild, vice president of Marazul Charters in North Bergen, N.J., among the largest United States organizers of trips to Cuba. The new changes, which come on top of loosened restrictions for Cubans and Cuban-Americans visiting relatives in Cuba, are expected to push the number of travelers visiting Cuba this year to 450,000 this year. “We estimate 375,000 to 400,000 Cuban Americans will visit this year and another 50,000 in other categories of legal travel,” said Mr. Guild of Marazul.

To be clear, it is still illegal for ordinary American vacationers to hop on a plane bound for Cuba, which has been under a United States economic embargo for nearly 50 years. True, plenty have dodged the restrictions — and continue to do so — by flying there from another country like Mexico or Canada (for Americans, traveling to Cuba is technically not illegal, but it might as well be since the United States prohibits its citizens from spending money in Cuba, with exceptions for students, journalists, Cuban-Americans and others with legal reasons to travel there). And while Washington has also expanded licensing for educational groups traveling to Cuba by loosening requirements, travelers joining an educational trip must still receive credit toward a degree.

But the new people-to-people measures make it easier for United States citizens who do not have special status as working journalists or scholars to visit Cuba legally, so long as they go with a licensed operator.

“All a U.S. citizen has to do is sign up for an authorized program and they can go to Cuba. It’s as simple as that,” said Tom Popper, director of Insight Cuba, a travel company that took more than 3,000 Americans to Cuba between 1999 and 2003, and was among the tour operators to apply for a license under the new rules earlier this year. It received its license at the end of June, and has planned 135 trips of three, seven or eight nights over the next year.

#8 No Worries, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  9. DaDakota

RAZZA FRACKA...NEW RULES.......

DD

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Are you planning on becoming a communist?

11. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I would love to see some shred of evidence this is true.

Nobody has ever been prosecuted for traveling to Cuba for a vacation. Ever. From a legal standpoint, it doesn't matter where you travel through.

You can message me for more info.

Basically, the laws are designed to scare people out of traveling there and nothing more.

If you are in Texas, go through Cancun. Why fly way the all the way to Canada? That's crazy talk.

12. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Not when the US govt requires passenger lists for all flights over US airspace. I recommend using Cancun as your hub.

13. s land balla

I'll be flying from DC.

14. conquistador#11

let's not go to cuba.. they're poor commies, china however, those commies can save our economy..they're awesome.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Might be tough to get a security clearance, if your passport has a Cuba stamp.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why is the brackets' subject [America]? Oh, I get it. Cuba is in the American continent. ;)

I have had relatives go on missionary trips to help with Cuban religious beliefs. They've gone through Mexico, but then again, they "looked" Mexican so they had no problem. :eek:

It's better if you know a Mexican to go with you.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

To avoid the passport issue, call the US embassy in Canada saying you lost your old passport.

18. s land balla

I'm brown enough to pass as Cuban.

19. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Cuba has a policy of not stamping US passports because they want US tourist dollars.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I kill communist for fun.
    But for a green card...I'm gonna carve him up reaaal nice.