1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

America – The Grim Truth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by madmonkey37, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Fell free to call me out for being lazy, but care to summarize the link you posted? Looks interesting but 39 pages....

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

I hate to see Greece used as an example all the time because it's an extreme on the other end. It's sort of but not really Europe in terms of economics. It's always been teetering on the brinks of being a third world country while it tries to think of itself as the rest of Europe. Then, you have the comparisons with China, N.Korea and others third world, which is crazy.

I have a mid level government job and am very happy. I get paid lower than the private sector, but I get about a month off every year including all the holidays. My benefits are great respectively. Overall, I'm much better off than when I was in the private sector.

However, I think three months vacation and a 35 hour work day is just crazy. Things just don't get done.

3. dback816

dback816 Member

I wouldn't exactly call the rest of the Europe *not* being on the brink of being 3rd world countries either.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyway, you still didn't address any of the points I made to tear apart your argument. All the key measures show the U.S. far leads Germany (and I included links). Your measure of exports isn't considered a metric of standard of living. It just says Germany exports more goods. I told you why - that Germans don't build factories in foreign countries like the U.S. does and that "exports" by definition must be ENTIRELY built domestically.

I guess you don't have anything substantial to say based on your desperate ad hominem attack. Anyway, you might want to re-read what you wrote above and see how it makes you come across rather than worrying about me.

#104 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

NewYorker / Sweet Lou 4 2 / MadLibsUsernames:

You have provided no link at all anywhere in this thread. Which means that 1) you are again outright lying or that 2) perhaps you have confused this username 'Sweet Lou 4 2" with another of the monikers you are currently operating thru here at ClutchFans. In either case, you are indeed one pathetic creature.

But in any case, I do have a linky for you today:

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?t=146206&page=3&pp=20

Funny how the OP of that thread just came and disappeared, huh?

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110005242

Americans have far more purchasing power than Germany, nearly 30% more. It's a choice. Germans get more vacation time and better health care - we get more money. We could get vacation time and health care but then we'd have less money.

Our poor are worse off than the German's poor. But our middle class is better of than the German middle class.

I'm not going to post to you further.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

NewYorker, this is a sad low even for you. :confused:

You certainly are not living up to (your first person narrated?) legend:

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showpost.php?p=3623355&postcount=9

From which specific username does this threat apply?

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

if he is indeed posting from all those names thats a hell of a lot of posts. but then again when i started posting here and lurking before that i never thought dadakota would have so many damn posts. goes to show you some people have a LOT of time on there hands.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yup seems like it'd just be a lot of wasted time, but batman pegged him quite eloquently on this:

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showpost.php?p=3592587&postcount=35

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Unless appearances are hugely deceiving you certainly seem correct.

So would you agree that for the "poor" the quality o life in Germany is better?

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If Sweet New Yorker 4 U is actually desert_rocket, then he would also have to be Vinsanity and jgreen91. I don't think anyone can maintain that many screen names.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The Sweet Lou moniker has become a pretty credible account that contributes to the D&D.

It's fair to call him out on his antics as New Yorker, but you can't outright dismiss his points based on that single point.

1 person likes this.
  13. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

A little disturbing, he posted this elsewhere. I think this guy's i.p. address needs to be saved.

14. HombreDeHierro

You're dumb dude, thats not the point. The point is, WHY is most of the food that is available for consumption so bad for us?

It's put there so we buy it...get fat, sick, retarted. Then we go and buy their overpriced godknowswhatsinit medicines and start popping pills. All while juggling a family, your future retirement plans, your kids college funds, everything.

Its messed up man.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL...

How does one become retarted? By eating too many Pop Tarts?

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sounds like you lick off Pop Tarts filling and then retarting them

17. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Figure out what he's trying to tell you.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Thanks iFan. I think that's compliment.

It's nice to know that at least one of my personalities...I mean monikers, is at least somewhat respected.

19. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I love it when some random schmuck compares the living standards of the US to some European country with a tiny population, little diversity, and no mass immigration issues. My other favorite are the Middle Eastern "monstropolis" such as Dubai (UAE). Yeah it's awesome living there if you're a native or an Oil Sheikh with latitude to move up the social ranks but it definitely sucks to be a foreign migrant worker from Bangladesh or Pakistan. No rights, no chance at citizenship, no property ownership, just constant servitude and feudal peasantry. Now, we Americans have similar issues with immigration from south of the border but at least we provide a path towards integration.

One fact often overlooked is that the US has a population of +300 million and of those, how many actually live a comfortable standard? I can bet that the figure is greater than the population of any country listed in this thread. What it means is that we Americans in general, even with our issues, have the highest number of people living a good standard.

Just for argument let's your utopia has a population of 100 million and a high number such as 80% are living a good standard. Now compare that to the US with population of 300 million and with smaller number only 50% are enjoying a good standard equal to yours.

80 million utopians vs 150 million Americans

Do you see the point? It's easy to criticize the US when compared to any number of countries if the sample size is really small. But as the population of a country increases especially reaching multitudes of 100 million then it becomes a matter of economies of scale. The large the country Look at a list of the countries with greater or similar population to the US, China and India are above while Indonesia and Brazil rank below. Can anyone seriously even compare the living standard of the US to any of these countries?

So at the end of the day even with our quality of life issues, America produce by far the highest number of people living a good standard.

1 person likes this.
  20. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

Maybe absolute numbers isn't the best way to approach this. The other side of this argument is that we have a higher number of people not living in good standards. Not disagreeing with you, just pointing it out. :p