1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

Would be so funny if the Thompson twins fell out of the lottery after all this hype because teams were not buying it.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Doesn't sound likely. Current reports have the highest likelihood being that they go #4 and #5. Could be a bunch of smoke, but we'll find out in a little over 24 hours.

NBA teams don't think the way fans do. They have large player development staffs and are accustomed to projecting players based on tools and scouting. If fans didn't have draft journalists telling them what to think they'd probably push for the biggest college stars every year, and be disappointed when most of them turned out to be complete busts in the NBA.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Derrick jones jr is missing

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

[Feigen] Rockets have Amen Thompson in their sights ahead of NBA draft

For the first time in franchise history, the Rockets plan to make the fourth pick of the draft. They hope — and expect — their selection Thursday to be memorable as more than a trivia answer.

After making the second pick in 2021 and the third pick in 2022, the Rockets are in position to make the fourth pick in the hopes of landing another core piece with similar star possibilities.

Amen Thompson, the Overtime Elite guard most likely to be the Rockets’ selection, has that kind of potential, if not to the degree of the draft’s headliner Victor Wembanyama, considered the most coveted prospect since LeBron James 20 years ago.

With playmaking abilities to go with athleticism considered unmatched in the draft, even by his twin brother Ausar, Thompson could join Jalen Green and Jabari Smith Jr. as the third early draft picks to be the foundation of the rebuild before the Rockets’ first-round pick could go to Oklahoma City next season and again in 2026 as part of the 2019 trade that sent Chris Paul to the Thunder for Russell Westbrook.

While AmenThompson is the most likely choice — he pledged Wednesday to contribute immediately with “just my ability to get to the rim, finish, facilitate for others and my defense” — the Rockets took similar long looks at Ausur Thompson and Villanova forward Cam Whitmore.

Amen Thompson’s playmaking could allow him to fit a void. The Rockets have drafted centers, power forwards and shooting guards in the past two seasons. They have not chosen a pass-first ball-handling guard.

Thompson is not the shooter the Rockets projected Green and Smith to become, but he has shown a good sense of his strengths and weaknesses. When he described the Thunder’s Shai Gilgeous-Alexander as a player he emulates, Thompson said, “He doesn’t need to shoot a lot of 3s because he knows what his game is, just like I feel like I do.”

When he and Ausar are chosen, they will become the third pair of brothers chosen in the top 10 — joining Purvis and Gene Short and LaMelo and Lonzo Ball — and the only brothers taken in the top 10 of the same draft. But if the Rockets make Amen Thompson their choice, they hope for history to be made long after draft night.

He has expectations, too.

“I’m excited,” Thompson said. “Anywhere I get drafted, I’m ready to work.”

OremLK, Aruba77 and robbie380 like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

I wasn't moving the goal posts, maybe you need to look what it means to be unique. It means nobody is like you right? In this draft alone you have his Twin Ausar Thompson and Anthony Black. These 3 are all very similar players so not sure how he is unique.

6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Ausar reminds me of Scottie Barnes, very physical defender-on ball and off ball defender and cannot shoot

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Scottie Barnes is an interesting type of comp for him.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Neither of those players are top 5 athletes in the league with his ballhandling and passing ability.

10. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a smokescreen as well. The Rockets will probably end up with scoot Henderson after Portland takes Amen Thompson. If they can swing a trade for the 10th pick I think they take Lively or Dick.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

I continue to LOL that there’s folks this lost. Portland is going to take that broken hitch shot over someone like scoot a crystal clear top 3 pick hahahahhah

Hank McDowell likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

So what? It's not like Anthony Black and Ausar Thompson are stiffs who can't pass. You can argue Amen is more talented than them but they're still similar players which means Amen isn't unique.

Also I like how everyone is crowinging Amen a top 5 athlete and savant passer before he even steps on the court. If he doesn't come out swinging all these hype comments gonna make him look like a bust.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I really liked Scottie

amen vs Scottie I like Scottie’s size and production vs better competition . Both were “older” prospects . Amen more quick twitch athleticism for sure . Probably a better handle , but I haven’t seen Barnes’ tape in a while .

idk if Scottie took a step back this year or what . I don’t like what TOR did with him . Nurse played him so many minutes out of the gate . He was playing 40 mpg in. The playoffs as a rookie . IMO no doubt he was going to have a sophomore slump .

this year he needs to take a step otherwise it’s not looking fantastic (though all these prospects take time he will still be pretty young )

get that corner 3 percentage back up . Healthier more conditioned body . I wonder what other skills he can bring .

OremLK likes this.
  14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So....that's what makes him unique, compared to them. They aren't similar to him because they aren't arguably one of the top 5 athletes in the sport (if you choose to believe the scouts).

If you don't care about what makes him unique then just say that.

Yung-T likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

So just being more athletic makes you unique? Then almost every star player in the NBA is unique since they all have qualities that made them stars. For example who do you think is a better basketball player, Jayson Tatum or Amen? Ok so Tatum's unique. What about Ingram and Amen? Ok so Ingram's unique. Jalen Brown and Amen? Ok Jalen Brown's unique etc

If Amen is unique just because he's a top 5 athlete then every single basketball player that's more talented or straight up better than him is unique as well since they're the superior prospect. Being unique doesn't make you the best or even better, it just supposed to mean there's nobody like you.

My example of unique players are Zion, Chet and Mobley. With Zion you don't see any other fatties dunking from half court like Zion. With Chet and Mobley, they're think as F you don't see anybody else that look like they're malnourished guys. These are unique players not Amen IMO. With Amen you are just arguing he's a more athletic Anthony Black/Barnes/Ausar/Simmons which to me means they're not unique.

#1535 roslolian, Jun 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I'm preparing my body for Amen to go #2 or #3.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

BREAKING NEWS ON THE THOMPSON TWINS

take the L shams, Woj.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

They will need u shaped sofas too. Money.

20. sheb

sheb Member

This. I just don’t see the rockets drafting a player who can’t shoot. Ben Simmons all over again. That formula doesn’t work in todays league when everyone can shoot, even elite Centers.