1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup when you're not even in the position to draft him, you fake it and portray the clear worse player as some preferred choice. Got em! fools plenty of gullible folks

don't worry there's a week left. and after that all these random dart throws will go away

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Well... who has a subscription to the SF news chronicle?

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah, heard the same **** about Jalen Green (and many others along the way).

“Eat, sleeps, and breathes basketball!”
    “Gym rat”
    “Undeniable work ethic”
    “Wants to be great!”

“[Green is] very coachable and he’s willing to do the work, put in the work and he’s hungry to learn. He asks a lot of questions about players in the league. And so, when you have that kind of enthusiasm, willing to do the work and not only just do the work, but just the desire to learn as much as you can about the game and what you have, that’s a joy for any coach. And he understands that because he’s so highly talented that he’s already been subjected to people coming at him and trying to knock him off his perch because of where he’s been ranked and the expectation level of him.

And he comes every day with that attitude that I’ve seen in some of the special young players that I’ve coached that get it right away. It’s like they don’t want to just make it to the league. They want to impact the team and make a place for themselves and be special. So, he’s always wanting to work. I had to tell him [once] after I cut practice a little short … he said, ‘Coach, I want to be great.’ And I said, ‘You will be great. You keep that attitude, but you also have to let your body rest sometimes and recover.’ …

He has that NBA bounce. He has that ‘it’ factor that when you see it you say, ‘OK, I’m keeping an eye on this guy because he has a chance to be really special.’

So obsessed and focused, neither twin has a shot. ;) But they sure can jump out of the gym!

JayZ750 and BigShasta like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Big thread on Amen

#1186 zeeshan2, Jun 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Isn't Jabari advertised as a gym rat too, why are there so many gym rodents

Arnel, BigShasta, Dredd and 1 other person like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

that's why we are getting a new practice facility; makes sense now

9. Dredd

Dredd Member

Tilman has already signed off on the Amen selection according to sources.

Tilman - "What's the kids name, Amen? A good christian man right there, get it done."

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's actually not good to start specializing in a sport at age 8. Age 14 is the earliest. For orthopedic reasons and for mental reasons. Check out the "American Development Model" for more info on a well-researched approach to developing athletes. It started with hockey* but then expanded to most sports.

*US hockey adopted the model from Norway, who dominates the winter Olympics despite having a population the size of Minnesota.

11. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need to pray for Amen….please God Almighty!

grednotto likes this.
  12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Very Texans-esque

Dredd, RasaqBoi and CHAMPBOY like this.
  13. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

The more espn articles I see with Amen,the more this screams Banchero 2.0 to me. Lol

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You can kiss your kids basketball playing time good bye if they start at 14.

#1194 cheke64, Jun 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    Arnel likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No, they start at 5-6. But they cross train, doing several sports. Emphasis is on learning basics and having fun - not in winning. Training time is limited to no more than 3 hours per week for the first few years. By 14 is when you start to specialize and go hardcore - assuming, of course, the child actually wants to specialize in that sport.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If Amen lands here it will be quite a ride next season when guys are trying to excuse away the bricks and terrible defense in favor of "development" and "court vision".

Throwing darts.

JayZ750 and BigShasta like this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Gym rat for over a decade, basketball freak, still can't shoot the ball. So how does that change when, from all accounts, he can't work any harder at it? It's not from a lack of effort, he just can't shoot the basketball.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If Amen steps in and immediately provides court vision then that is already a Day 1 improvement over our fearless leader Kevin Porter Jr. Even "terrible" defense would be an improvement over KPJ, as well.

Little Bit likes this.
  19. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Think one of the articles said they didn't have a shooting coach until they got to OTE (and even then, it sounds like they switch between the OTE shooting coach, Mike Miller, and who knows if others are involved?). Not saying it is great, but Amen's shooting numbers did improve between year 1 and year 2 (especially his FT% numbers). Also increased his 3PA per game (from 2.0 to 2.9).

I have no idea how long it takes to "fix" a shot, especially if you need to work nearly from scratch. I'm not sure if they just tried to tweak his shot at OTE or completely re-work it, but if it was the latter, I'm guessing that takes time.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Impossible. Upside does not matter. Shooting is all that matters, which is why we should take Grady Dick at #4.