1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Amen Thompson has all the measurables but he's definitely more potential versus value right now.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well yeah because that would mean Scoot and Amen went #2 and #3

Not like we're going to get to pick and choose between Amen and Miller unless something crazy happens... we landed #4 so we get the leftovers...

3. maj21

maj21 Member

Yeah but I can see us picking Whitmore over Amen

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Possible, but I highly doubt it

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This is the first full game I've watched for them, thanks for the link.

Surprising to me how much Amen played off ball, Asur seemingly played significantly more on ball.

Both dudes look raw as hell, very good length and athleticism (not elite how people describe Amen), the soft zone they played made it hard to tell how much they could stay in front of their defenders, but certainly seemed like defense is their current calling cards with their ability to disrupt.

Asur seemed more frazzled and turnover prone then Amen

Seems like scary picks in the top 5, but guys you'd be excited for around 10. Feels like Andre Iguodala is the mold you hope they grow into.

6. maj21

maj21 Member

But you said possible. If Miller is on the board, it’s impossible. Anthony Black could be a dark horse

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

It wouldn't be the strangest drafting decision ever, but I'd still be a bit surprised if they Scoot and Miller are off the board and they pass on Amen, is all I'm saying

8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’ve heard it stated that a Thompson/Green backcourt would be the most athletic in NBA history … Amen is a gamble but sometimes you have to roll the dice :)

Arnel, CHAMPBOY and OremLK like this.
  9. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Amen's own coach sure has an unbiased opinion.

Arnel and bmelo like this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Amen doubter posting in here , sorry

Ive got a question about his wingspan ( his brothers too ) . Anyways , i remember seeing a month or two ago his wingspan was 6'9 / 6'10 ... now all of a sudden hes measuring at 7 foot.

I doubt it.

If you look at combine his standing reach its 8' 7.5" .. for comparison , Anthony Black's standing reach is 8' 6.5" .. or an inch shorter. Anthony black is listed at the same height , but his arms are listed at 6' 7.5" wingspan ... and Amens is listed at 7 feet. I would expect more than an inch higher standing reach if that was true.

Cidy Sissoko , Andre Jackson Jr, Cam Whitmore , and Dariq whitehead all have similar heights and standing reaches to Amen and Ausar , but their wingspans are listed anywhere from 6' 8.5" to 6' 10"

I think the twins winspan measurements are fibbed a bit .... or they have really long necks .

I think theres too much Hype around Amen. Maybe Ausar too , tho at least he was the MVP and his shooting got better .

A concern of mine with Amen is that his 2 pt shooting didnt improve much year to year and he grew in Age relative to the competition. i think it went from ~60 percent to 63 percent. Its a good number , but he had a lot of dunks... dunks i dont think he would get here.

But i really like Black. and M&M is talking me into hendricks .. i also like walker

Either twin is far away , but the ceilings are high

Caesar likes this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought the wingspan was measured at the NBA combine, is that even possible to fake?

12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

The Twins can play in the NBA, and Amen can be unstoppable if he can get a jump shot

13. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

As mentioned, the measurements are from the NBA combine, and I doubt they'd be inaccurate (and if they were, then you question pretty much all the measurements).

I do think you found an interesting quirk with the numbers I hadn't noticed though. I assume it is just due to the different bodies these guys have. I'm not expert in this stuff, but I can see there being a variance of a few inches here and there based on shoulders, necks, hands, etc.

Ultimately, those numbers don't matter *that* much I think. Just a data point we can add to other data points we have (like steals/blocks).

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Does anyone believe the press dropping that if the Rockets pass on Amen at 4, he will fall a bit?

If that is the case and the Rockets want Amen, wouldn't it make sense to trade back?

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, he would be kind of an insane pick for Detroit that really pushes the "best player available" concept beyond its breaking point. Cade and Ivey are already ball-dominant shot creator/playmaker combo guard types, both with somewhat questionable shooting ability. On top of that, Jalen Duren and James Wiseman are both non-shooting big men at the moment. The fit is so atrocious that they essentially have to trade one or more of their best current prospects away if they pick Amen.

I do not believe Amen will get past Orlando at 6 though.

Don't trust anything you read this time of year, in any case... smokescreens galore.

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Well my thought was trading back to Orlando at 6 plus something.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I've thought about this... if they are really wanting Whitmore and think Detroit is going to take him, would they consider trading up with us to get Whitmore and then trade Amen + something else for Cam?

But there are two issues. One, you have to be very, very confident Detroit isn't going to just take Amen and trade him to somebody else. Two, you have to be very confident that you have a 100% locked-in deal with Orlando, no ifs ands or buts, because I can easily see them just saying "why thank you, we will take Amen Thompson and let you walk off with the less-talented player".

18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I can be an nba all star if I can just learn how to shoot as well.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Orlando seems to have the means to make it either work or trade Amen to another team to get assets back.

I have less confidence in Detroit but Monty can surely surprise.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Amen vs Ausar

Given that they have almost identical numbers, but that Ausar was the one who improved his shooting throughout the year, why isn’t Ausar considered the better prospect? Is it just because the point guard position is more important than wing?

Ausar is the better shooter and defender; even averaged more assists. What am I missing?