1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Guys, I do not think we will see Amen Thompson when our pick comes around. I’m hearing that Blazers are not picking Brandon Miller, they love the athleticism of Amen Thompson. I believe we will have to choose from Ausar Thompson and Brandon Miller. Which one will you pick? Top defense prospect of top offense prospect?

He do need defense stopper

Rolliepollie likes this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He did flip a switch towards the end of last season when he got minutes, but I don't watch the Blazers, so I don't know if it was just an "end of season" thing or if he's really on that upward trajectory. Speaking from an athletic ability mixed with a bit of basketball standpoint, Sharpe and Amen on the court together could be ridiculously unfair. I'm curious to see how Sharpe will do this year since coming out of high school, I wasn't sure wth he would be in the NBA since hardly anybody knew anything about him other than he could dominate some high school competition in the limited videos out there. Let's see if he gets minutes and also takes advantage of it.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Westbrook was a great player and yeah, you'd take that outcome 10 out of 10 times .... thing is, I think Westbrook is the ceiling for Amen and the floor is Joe Bust with the odds leaning heavily towards bust than the ceiling.

It's very rare that a prospect lives up to the hype and we aren't talking about the best or even second best prospect in this class but maybe #4 and act like if he fixes his shot, he's gonna be better than Lebron.

Westbrook is the ceiling, but the floor is so low that it's not a risk worth taking.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i haven't seen this much fake hype in any draft the past several decades. i keep rewatching this kid's few highlights and they in no way match the pump up he's been getting smh

maj21, Believe It! and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Again, not that I really care to defend Westbrook, but I'm not sure these are huge deal breakers per se. A lot of guys that have gone far in the playoffs or won it all played with all time greats. And when you end up with only one (or even 2) of them on a team...they don't always do so well.

I also think some of these issues with Westbrook involve less his talent and more to do with the way he decided to play the game. Obviously if Amen (or whoever) takes a bunch of inefficient 18 ft jumpers, stands around doing nothing when off ball, and only plays defense when he wants to, then yeah that's a problem. But certainly someone with some of Westbrook's talents (in a 6'7" frame) might be more valuable if he also didn't have those other negatives, no? Sure, maybe the shot is still a problem, but I think the issue with Westbrook tends to be more than just the shot.

Unless there's a Lebron or Curry available, maybe you just take a Westbrook and worry about optimizing for a championship later.

True. Of course, I think claiming a guy can be as good as Westbrook is also not fair (realistically that's just not going to happen given how good Westbrook is/was), but yeah I think if a player somehow could replicate those talents, there's potential to be a better player with some (IMO easyish?) tweaks to the type of game Westbrook played.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Miller is better as a 6'9 sf imo. Miller isn't a defensive liability, he is actually decent on defense kinda like Trey Murphy 3rd. He is an all rounder that is elite at 3 pt shooting.

Ausar is better as a guard like his bro cuz he is 6'7 not 6'9.

Pretty sure if Miller is there Rox are taking him unless he bombed his workout or something.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Shaedan Sharpe can shoot though. Sharpe shot 36% from 3 in the NBA.

If Amen can do that he'd be a lock for no 2 and even chsllege Wemby for no 1.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

If OTE can't keep accurate data I dunno why you are taking their other stats as face value. How you know the other assists are the bugged ones and the total is inaccurate? Either way they played in OTE and I'll use OTE stats discussing OTE players. You want to challenge them send an email to OTE maybe they'll fix their stats.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Really? Jabari's hype was the worst, almost Number 1 pick and you would think he was an unathletic Durant prospect.

And then his followers were defending him that he is such a good role player and defender, leading the team to a good bottom record.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Expecting a rookie to lead a team to anything is a fool's errand

Watch Wemby lead San Antonio to 29 wins next season

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is practically what I said. If he were so spectacular, people would not point fingers at his first 50 games.

But yes, would be interesting to see but I think Spurs already said they are not planning to play Wemby in 80 games.

That is a soft load management happening already.

To your question though, they can win more games if he is just doing defensive work and not overdoing dribbling and overshooting.

Develop his Offense in his second year.

OremLK likes this.
  12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Spurs have 40-48 million in cap space so they'll more than likely bring in some dude's. Could also see vets wanting to go there to play with him. Add Pop to that and they could make a big jump.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I strongly suspect they'll be willing to be bad for one more season while the expectations are still low. One more high draft pick can't hurt them. I don't necessarily expect them to be that aggressive in free agency. At least, not for veterans. Young RFAs may be a different story

Believe It! likes this.
  14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Actually you're probably right.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i was one of the original 16 voters in the jabari thread against us drafting him with the 3rd pick

but i would have still drafted him top 6, and he showed enough flashes last season for me not to want him dealt in most trades scenarios

meanwhile amen thompson doesn't even look like a top 10 pick to me and yet half the GARM posts are about him

Hank McDowell likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Respect to the foresight.

That was the worst pre draft hype I could imagine, holy mackerel, I did not participate in any of that.

That was the precise opposite of this Amen dude, Jabari was touted as the next best shooter, good lord, hyping up shooting like that.

Besides shooting he could only defend, you have 2 skills, that is what got you to being a Top 3 spot......fooorkkk

I really hate Hype......

#1056 daywalker02, Jun 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Couple of things

First, there's a difference between the derived values and the raw data values. The per game numbers are the former, and the game logs are the latter. One of these involves formulas that can easily have a bug. The other involves just raw data entry with no formulas. I'm assuming the data entry is correct as there's no clear reason to doubt it. But I know the derived values are incorrect (without any other information) because they literally don't add up based on the source data.

You said something about how do I know that the total (I assume you meant the season averages) are wrong and not the individual game logs. Umm can you explain how you would think that would work? I do think there's a possibility those averages are including other games/data sources, but that's still a bug on them being wrong.

Secondly... yeah actually I don't necessarily trust the raw OTE numbers either (including the raw data being entered). I actually don't reference their stats a ton, and when I do, it's usually data coming from Synergy, not OTE.

Even if the numbers were correct (and/or confirmed by NCAA, NBA, etc), I still like to look at the raw numbers to see if they provide additional context.

Anyway none of that really matters. I just wanted to point out the obvious calculation bug on their site and provide more accurate data. If people want to keep using that bugged data...then ok.

I guess I don't understand your insistence on sticking with the bad data. You can still use ote stats for ote players...by viewing the stats on Tankathon. Or some of these other sites. In fact, that's arguably a much better source since you can get stats on all the prospects in one place, and the calculated stats will have the same formulas applied. Those sites typically provide the right data sample too, which can be screwed up if you visit the sites directly (see the Scoot 3pt % kerfuffle).

Agree to disagree I guess?

Hank McDowell likes this.
  18. maj21

maj21 Member

If Miller falls to 4, we’re 100% picking him.

Arnel likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is the cliffhanger, you would only know by June 22nd I guess.