1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

there's something that bothers me about his off hand in his form. Anyway he's still got a long way to go in term of comfortably shooting from distance

2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

So the only complaint we have for Amen is shooting and previous competition? He is going to be a great player

matchesmalone likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen, Green and Sengun is our Star core players….just is still out on Jabari…if his shot is not working…then what? He was not a great defender, Tari is better than him

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

It's definitely interesting. Cam/Ausur + Lively is very interesting indeed, but if we did the trade and one of Scoot or Miller was at 4 AND we don't get Lively at 11 instead Dallas gets him before us? It's back to my draft lottery russian roulette and vodka nights.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Amen dunking on 12 year olds ?....

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

he had the perfect form in 8th grade. WTF!

Arnel likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

He worked on his skills for 2 yrs still bad at defense, bad at shooting, raw skillset. That's my biggest concern cuz everybody saying he worked so hard but very little improvement in his performance honestly.

"The only complaint is shooting" is kinda a bad take since so many players became busts just cuz they can't shoot or only stopped being busts once they learned to shoot. See Lonzo Ball, Killian Hayes, Justise Winslow, KMG, Dyson Daniels, Jalen Suggs etc

Hank McDowell and saleem like this.
  9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

3 point shooting is not that important, Russell Westbrook was a terrible shooter a career 43% FG and 30% 3 point shooting…Amen can be a elite defender and he will be.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Amen can't even hit 30% in OTE his NBA 3 pt shooting is 15% right now. He was guarding no name scrubs in OTE yeah he has all the tools to be an elite defender question is why wasn't he? That's why I have Ausar over Amen Amen is more talented but Ausar is the one who has shown improvement playing in the OTE.

More ast in ote regular season than Amen: Ausar
    Better defender than Amen: Ausar
    MvP: Ausar
    Finals MVP: Ausar
    Shot 39% from 3 on 7 attempts in the playoffs: Ausar

BTW 3 pt shooting is not important? When you make that statement you kinda tell everyone you don't got a clue what's going on lol wtf.

#1010 roslolian, Jun 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

OK, so I know this isn't important AT ALL, but why are you continuing to say this when I already corrected you on these numbers? It doesn't change your argument as you could easily just argue that they're comparable passers/playmakers (I'd disagree, but that's a valid take). But sharing this comes across like purposely sharing Scoot's 27% 3pt numbers even though he shot 32%.

Sorry for being so pedantic, but I like making sure we share correct data.

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I kinda feel the same way, except that it hasn’t been two years, the guy has been training his entire life for this and still can’t do it well. I don’t think he will ever be able to shoot, and for me that’s a deal breaker. He has a lot of good things going for him, but I think he is way more likely to be a bust than a special NBA player.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

too risky to draft this guy

14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

3 pt shooting is massively important in the modern NBA for perimeter players, as it FT shooting. He averaged .65 from the line, which is disgusting.

15. RC Cola

His ft shooting is bad, but it's probably good enough that teams won't purposely foul him (that would require closer to 50%). I'm also assuming he'll get closer to 70% with more practice, reps, etc. Or hopefully even much higher.

I would put his 3pt and mid range shooting (really more a floater game I guess) as bigger issues. Though I've also stated that I think shooting from a primary facilitator is less important than shooting from an off ball role player. Amen would have to be elite at pretty much everything else, but imo he can succeed without a shot. Of course, I'd rather he just learn to shoot and still be elite at everything (assuming Rockets draft him... otherwise he should be worse than Nix).

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm using OTE's official data take it up with them not me.

Ausar: 6.1 ast
    Amen: 5.9 ast

https://overtimeelite.com/players/e763b02b-3045-4a91-a078-7140899327d0/career
    https://overtimeelite.com/players/cbb0c3ec-f9f2-43e6-bb6e-6e4ef5702d92/career

I never said they're comparable playmaker but as the "scoring" bro it's weird he also had more ast. I never understood how everyone's just ranking Amen over Ausar yeah ok dude is more athletic so what Ausar's better at almost everything else if they went at each other 1on1 Ausar would win cuz he is the better defender and shooter.

GotGame15 and RC Cola like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Blazers worked him out if he destroyed all the drills he'd go to them so honestly all these evaluations are academic for me. We all know he is an amazing athlete it's the main reason he is still a top 5 pick despite playing in a garbage league and not know how to shoot.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. RC Cola

Yeah I know where you got them as we had a near identical exchange previously. Repeating myself, there's a clear bug on their website. Just add them up yourself and do the math yourself (takes less time than making some of these CF posts). Or just go with another source that has the same base data set, but they don't have a calculation error (e.g., Tankathon).

To continue to ignore that and repeat the bad data comes across as continuing to use Scoot's 27% figure because "hey I'm just using the number that's there."

And again, I 100% accept this is me being the highest level of pedantic. This is an error accounting for a difference of just a few assists IIRC. It means nothing overall. But yeah I'd like it if we can make sure the numbers/info we use is as accurate as possible.