1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. MystikArkitect

Consantly saying "Westbrick" really undermines people trying to take you seriously. Just try and have a mature conversation instead of spouting nonsense. You can criticize players without acting like a petulant child.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean we really don't know how much work is being done on a daily basis but at least they identified what a problem it was.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

i couldn't careless. you're offended? no idea why. it's what he is and has nothing to do with you whatsoever. it's not like its some world renown secret

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, his mechanics improved and his results improved. It doesn't prove he's made sustainable improvements, but it's at least evidence that points in that direction.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't want Westbrook or Simmons either, but that's not because of their abilities. I don't want them because of their mental approach to the game. Simmons is clearly not built for it and can't handle the pressure, and Westbrook is incapable of accepting his limitations. He is an immensely talented athlete, but has a pretty terrible basketball IQ. So what if Amen Thompson has the athletic abilities of Westbrook, but a higher basketball IQ? Or what if he has the abilities of Ben Simmons, but is a killer in high pressure situations?

Because I would love a Westbrook with a high IQ or a Simmons who doesn't shrink under pressure. And I'm not saying that I know for sure Amen Thompson is that, but I do know for sure he isn't actually either of those players and he's not necessarily subject to the issues that have us so prejudiced against taking a player like Westbrook or Simmons.

OremLK likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

we would all love the perfect player. But in reality you just don't see that

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have not made myself clear enough, let me make this clear.

The NBA is not what it was used to be, the Draft has become more professional in terms of eliminating busts.

Barring injuries busts like Kwame, Milicic, Thabeet, Bennett, those are hardly going to happen again.

Virtually anyone inside the Top 10 picks and even Top 20 has the opportunity to grow into a useful player.

BUT my point is not that.

The Rockets are not a team that can experiment right now.......the owner expects results, Amen can be good but no rookie even the Lebrons did not playoff contend in their first season.

And yes, if he played in a better league, he would be closer to producing like an NBA player already.

Nook likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have not made myself clear enough, let me make this clear.

The NBA is not what it was used to be, the Draft has become more professional in terms of eliminating busts.

Barring injuries busts like Kwame, Milicic, Thabeet, Bennett, those are hardly going to happen again.

Virtually anyone inside the Top 10 picks and even Top 20 has the opportunity to grow into a useful player.

Better preparation, player getting more skilled, more fundamentally sound, better physically.....you name it.

BUT my point is not that.

The Rockets are not a team that can experiment right now.......the owner expects results, Amen can be good but no rookie even the Lebrons did not playoff contend in their first season.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

You could be right because Tilman is not a good owner. But I hope they are not actually thinking that way. I think they should still be willing to experiment and give rookies some serious run for one more year, even if the draft pick is going to OKC. It's fine to try to get better and get some veterans in there to help the team win more games and mentor the young players, but they shouldn't be basing draft decisions around what they want the win total to be next season. That's poorly run organization type stuff.

10. i3artow i3aller

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well Ben Simmons with a killer instinct is still a very flawed player - he still can't shoot. Westbrook with a high IQ is still a very flawed player. He still can't shoot.

I'm just saying I don't think it's actually their lack of shooting (or at least not exclusively their lack of shooting) that has us so turned off by them. And so pointing to their lack of shooting and saying you don't want Amen because he also can't shoot seems a little silly to me. And I'm just curious, would you trade for Ja right now? Because a lot of people would, and the problem with him is he can't shoot on the court and he's looking increasingly likely to shoot off the court.

OremLK likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ja’s problem right now is how much is he committed to be playing NBA basketball and just be playing NBA basketball.

And stop with the gangster rap videos.

If he thinks his life does not revolve around the NBA and he needs an outlet to do some other dumb shet that is where it gets dangerous.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

i've already pointed out other factors about him previous posts that are also lacking. no midrange game. no floater. He's not a great ball handler. His ability to finish at the rim was terrible. high turnover rate. underwhelming at the line. the bigger highlight is his lack of shooting which is why its seen most rather than just talking about every single thing.

I don't put Ja in the broken westbrick category. He isn't. We've seen him destroy teams from the perimeter including the rockets. he also gets to the line enough as a weapon and has an in between game as a scorer to mitigate not having to spam 3 pointers all game long

to answer your question I would take Ja but not at the expense of gutting all the assets and guys like JG/Bari

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Givony says that Whitmore might be in consideration by the Rockets too. He said Houston is upset from dropping to 4 from 2. He thinks Amen Thompson is the best fit from the rest of them here. It's hard for me to accept that because of the poor quality in the Overtime Elite. I got this information from NBA Espn on YouTube.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As long as that's the level of competition he gets to face in the NBA, he'll be amazing!

Snow Villiers likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would give you guys credit for gathering info on Amen after the draft.

There is just too much noise floating around the ether right now.

OremLK likes this.
  17. MystikArkitect

Not every team has Scoot Henderson ahead of Amen Thompson. For the Rockets specifically, Amen is almost as perfect a fit as you can get outside of Wemby. Jarace is a close 3rd.

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So, in your mind, there is almost no more perfect a fit for a team with a grand total of 1 above average shooter on the entire roster than a guy who flat out can't shoot a basketball.....

That's certainly one kind of take.

If the goal is to create the most hilariously awful spacing in modern NBA history, I could see Amen being the key piece to make that happen.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Westbrook's fatal flaw wasn't even his non-shooting. It was BB IQ and being stubborn. Amen has a high BB IQ and is unselfish. High motor, work ethic competitor. You couple that with his elite athleticism and you have something.

Little Bit, Nook and i3artow i3aller like this.