1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Amen Thompson recalled

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Dec 9, 2023.

1. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Our GM is a ****ing moron.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think injuries and Holiday playing hurt him quite a bit as far as pecking order on offense.

In the gleague him and Cam are basically the stars of the team.

On the Rockets hes got to compete for touches with so many guys. I think once he gets more comfortable they'll let him initiate the offense more with that second unit.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Right now Amen is still shocked at how good the NBA is. I think he's in the perfect situation for his development. We can afford to take it slow and keep his confidence up.

We don't even really know where he's at compared to the NBA right now. We need a decent sample like 10-20 games of solid minutes. I do wish we had some more scoring help off the bench but we're going to have to be patient with that.

robbie380 and bmelo like this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I like how posters are ready to call a guy a bust who only played 6 games so far averaging 14mpg. Hilarious stuff

burlesk, DrNuegebauer, JeffB and 2 others like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I’m confident long term in Amen but his ball handling skills are fairly concerning. Consistently loses his handle despite being a “point guard”.

6. bmelo

bmelo Member

There may be a reason why its 14 right

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  7. invocux

invocux Member

Look like he's at least 2 years away from being an NBA player.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It would be nice to see more out of Amen, but I agree it's going to be a bit before we can truly get a feel for him. Maybe all star break will be enough time.

9. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Seems like if that were the case it would also be true for his brother. I mean we all watched him injure that ankle- the team is justifiably not pushing him back so it seems like a combination of bad luck at the moment, a conservative plan from the Rockets to get him back, and normal rust that goes along with an imposed restriction from running on it. Honestly, he didn’t look great earlier in the season too - it’s likely going to take a minute for him to adjust to the speed of the game which it looked like he was doing before the most recent injury.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think he will be fine. Just hasn't played much. Got better during this game.

NewAge and Hakeemtheking like this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I like Amen's mid range touch. His 3pt shooting will take a long time to develop. For whatever reason his set shot is completely different from when he is shooting on the move.

13. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

So the team rebuilt itself?

Plowman and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  14. Dredd

Dredd Member

Trevor Ariza has Kyrie ball handling skills if he was compared to Amen.

15. invocux

invocux Member

Clearly very talented but his form is eye bleeding. He opens up his legs like a slut when he's jumping. I hate non-shooters they almost always hurt their teams in the long run. I don't want him to be good from 3pt line but he should fix his form and be somewhat reliable from the high post. I like his playmaking his court vision is extremely high. I'm giving him 2 years to fix his shot.

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

His floater game looks immaculate. The middy as well, very solid. Defense too, very capable.

Ime’s call but they need someone to trust beyond FVV. Amen is a pass first point, he had some really crisp passes that didn’t go for assists but I really do think he’s the guy to back up our starters.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That's when he's at his best, solo and spacing. Fvv and Jalen won't let him operate.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'd gently suggest there might be other reasons his handle has seemed loose in the NBA so far.

If you did any pre-draft research on prospects, you would know Amen's handles won't be a problem in the future.

Perhaps it is nerves currently?
    Alternatively, perhaps he forgot how to dribble?

One is more likely than the other.

*I say this as someone who gently (around this time last year) suggested Jabari didn't forget how to shoot, and perhaps there were other reasons he was producing enough bricks to rebuild Toyota centre

BonziWellsGOAT, NewAge and Dredd like this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He’s smooth and confident with that mid range shot.

Plowman likes this.