1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

203 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. Forward

65 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

When he was in school (pre-college), he actually was "the scorer" because he could put up points on anybody. I forget how the story goes, but one day he noticed other kids' parents were pissed at him scoring all the time and he asked his dad why, and I think his dad told him that it was because their kids never got a chance to score. lol. Magic once said, that was when he focused on distributing the ball first and scoring second. So he went from being a scorer to a pg. Coming out of college there weren't many PG's his size, so some people wanted him to be a forward, but somebody on the Lakers staff (?) said they were going to stick to him being a PG and everything else is history.

He was an amazing passer - I still haven't seen anybody better. Not Stockton, not Kidd, not Nash, not Isiah, etc. I never watched Oscar Robertson play, but based on legend, he'd be the only one for me to enter the conversation vs. Magic. Lately there was the big argument about whether Curry was the greatest PG or not. When I think Curry, I think he's possibly the greatest shooter ever. Curry's not on the level of Magic as a PG.

And to pull it back to the topic at hand - Amen is no Magic at this point other than they're basically similar in height. lol.

He has the ability to run the point when Fred's in the game, too. :D

Rashmon, i3artow i3aller, Bo6 and 2 others like this.
  2. Rudyball 1998

Rudyball 1998 Member

:D Totally agree but the salary diff between VV and Amen says no :rolleyes:

3. kpdark

kpdark Member

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, I'm not saying Amen instead of Fred (unless he turns out to be that good), but you can have both in the back court and still take advantage of both of their strengths. Hell, eventually we may see some Amen, Jalen, and Fred together.

OremLK and i3artow i3aller like this.
  5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I don't think there's been an Ime interview yet where I could hear a word. I don't know if he is just a soft mumbler or has a superpower that allows him to screw up microphones.

rfrocket, OremLK and Rashmon like this.
  6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget Pistol Pete. That man could handle and pass too. I wouldn't say Amen is Magic either but he def reminds me of a pre-injury Penny. He's going to be a star.

Dobbizzle and burlesk like this.
  7. kpdark

kpdark Member

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is he going to be in the slam dunk contest this year?

Dobbizzle and kpdark like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He already said he doesn't have a dunk package, so ... probably not. I don't think he really cares about dunks. lol.

10. prs325

prs325 Member

Our rookies had some nice dunks tonight
    Gonna be an exciting year

kpdark likes this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

kpdark likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is going to be fun if they make Fred play off ball. Excited to see more of Amen. He and Sengun will have to run a great PnR to avoid spacing issues.

kpdark likes this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

green might never start again.

Jontro and Ancient Moabite like this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

15. kpdark

kpdark Member

16. Ancient Moabite

The Hidden One played well in preseason, I expect it it carry over in reg season debut vs Magic

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think it should have been a T on that dunk. He had so much momentum, what was he supposed to do.

Y2JT likes this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

As others mentioned, previously, Amen was a scorer first (playmaker 2nd). Asuar was more flipped the other way in primary and secondary role. Given the current make up of the team, he might end up something like a Tyrese Maxey where he may be asked to adapt depending on the make-up of the team that year. Right now the fan base want more playmaking... but seeing how this team struggles in offense, everyone including Amen will be asked to contribute on offense.

On the thread title:
    He's too small for PF. Can be a SF especially defensively. Coaches nowadays like to say everything is position-less, some of it is not true as even the best players (yawnnis, stephanie) can't play any positions. Team is backlogged in SF, on this Rockets team Amen's a guard.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

In my opinion, Magic was the best PG of all-time. He did not have a good outside shot early in his career, but ended up with a 3 pt set shot that was pretty good. He could play all 5 positions even in his rookie year. Magic is the comp I would use for Amen. I’m not expecting him to be as good as Magic (who I put in the top 5 all-time, but I do think he is going to be a superstar.

TheBeastSystem likes this.
  20. DeBeards

DeBeards Member