1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

203 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. Forward

65 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. NewAge

NewAge Member

no, it wasn't quite wrong! He did look completely lost early in the season. His rapid progress is quite remarkable.

The guy is a very, very serious and smart man, mature beyond his years. They've been prepping seriously and diligently for the NBA since middle school. Fundamentals and understanding of the game have been pounded from a young age. OTE didn't give them competitive experience, so he got a bit shell-shocked early on. he's adjusting well and the hard work on fundamentals is paying off.

2. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

At some point, we’re going to look back at those OTE games with Amen, Ausar, Alex Sarr, Rob Dillingham, Tyler Smith, Izan Almansa, Somto Cyril, Naasir Cunningham, Bryson Tiller all on the court in 2023 and be like, wow.

That’s 8-9 first round picks. 4 or 5 lottery picks. Basically like peak Kentucky practices.

OremLK likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How did he fall to 4th, in the same draft as Wemby? A whopping two teams passed on him. That isn't mindblowing, considering he's a wing who can't shoot 3's at all, and was in a league that is tough to evaluate. 4th is a very high pick.

We can enjoy him without acting silly

4. Strawberry Gum

He is a keeper. Cannot praise him enough. He has that winner aura.

BaselineFade, Y2JT and beardsanity713 like this.
  5. CRocket82

CRocket82 Member

You simply have to love Thompson. Amen!

BaselineFade likes this.
  6. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

He's exceeded my expectations. Admittedly I'm still concerned about his jumper but hopefully he can improve that in the offseason

BaselineFade and JayGoogle like this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the scouting report was spot on. Very high on his athleticism but low on his skills.

Scouts don't care that much about what league guys play in, this is how high school players were going top 5 and a guy like Lamelo and now Amen going top 5.

I mean its a factor but scouts saw that Amen was big and athletic enough to play in the NBA so the only question remaining was if his skills would translate which is always the biggest question for top 5 guys.

What I love about Amen is that he's a pretty unique player. He's like some big utility guard.

One thing though...his defense is special, flat out. The eye test you can see it yourself, he instantly gets in the game and suddenly the other team's offense gets a bit more harder, they start turning the ball over, etc. Booker basically could not score on him last night. He just....they put Amen on him in the 4th there and that was it. Booker didn't see the ball and if he did he didn't score. I might be hyperbolic here but his defensive potential is DPOY level. It really is that good. It's no wonder Ime leans a lot on him (And btw, look at the box scores of who Ime plays, he plays a lot of Jabari and Amen because he knows he can rely on their defense)

I keep saying this but it's true. If Amen gets a shot...even if its below average, just enough to where guys have to come out and can't leave him open...he becomes a scary player. I'm not even sure what his comp would be. He's this odd utility guard, can do a bit of everything but not a reliable scorer since you can give him space and pack the paint...but if he can shoot it?

Another thing, makes great decisions. Even better than the 'vets' out there, rarely takes a shot where I'm like "What you doing son?" rarely forces up shots and seems like he's the only guy on the team that realizes when there's 3 guys around you in the paint that means someone else is open.

Also his handle has improved a lot over the season.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is unique and he came out alright, OTE is surely not playing much Defense......

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This needs to be his ENTIRE offseason pretty much. They need to drill into his head that the sky is the limit if he can actually learn to knock down an open three.

GOATuve likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't think most of those leagues do, they just have to kind of guess how players will project.

Best leagues for evaluating prospects, NCAA, Euroleague, then everything else pretty much after that

GOATuve likes this.
  11. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Completely agree. Kidd was able to fix his later in his career and all indications are that Amen has a strong work ethic so I'm sure he'll be willing to do it. He's our #1 and a guy they can build around if he's even able to shoot it at around 36%

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is another way to get 15-16 year olds hooked on a money making train, top gear, top facilities....

Teaching them about Empowerment, and some get entitled very early.

Lamelo going to the Pro leagues was the right path before the Draft.

13. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah people just hear initial second
    If he's able to shoot it at 36% that would be beyond great

GOATuve likes this.
  14. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

No question. I think him having confidence in his shot will account for something. If they can fix his mechanics 36% could be realistic. Really looking forward to seeing the two man game between him and Sengun develop.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My comp for him now is a more athletic Draymond Green (w/ a nice personality).

BaselineFade likes this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Did you find a new YouTube video that has nothing to do to support this point you are trying to make? Also did you find new children online to chat with? These are burning questions we all would like to know!

17. maypk

maypk Member

"YoUtUbE vIdeO tHaT hAs NoThInG tO dO tO sUpPoRt ThIs PoInT yOu ArE tRyInG tO mAkE"

A video of explaining why on ball guys should wait for bigs to set the screen to avoid moving screen calls.

It's actually sad that you still don't know moving screen calls are not always screen setters' fault.

But keep humiliating yourself you f*cking clueless clown, lol.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Will is an idiot. Dude had a hard on for Scoot before the draft and now is spouting his usual bs for likes and retweets. He’s very disingenuous and only cares about engagement.

GOATuve and J.R. like this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

They can probably just do a completely new shot form and shoot better than 15 percent. What's the risk at this point, the starting point is so low

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Guard version of Draymond? Taller version of Rondo?

BaselineFade and Easy like this.