1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

203 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. Forward

65 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

He's a point guard. I fully expect him to get mins when fvv takes a breather or is out with Injury. I see no reason for both fvv and amen to play the same time as starters unless amen proves to b the best option on the roster which still remains to b seen.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  2. MystikArkitect

Amen/FVV/Jalen/DB/Bari is a lineup that could work. FVV can serve multiple roles including an off ball one where Amen is running the point. Amen's height makes this possible as he can guard 3s and Jalen/FVV can guard 1-2.

Amen as a 3 and Bari as a 5 are incredible tools to have. FVV as either a 1 or 2 is another. DB can be a 3 or 4 as well. As can Tari. This might be the most flexible Rockets team we've ever had.

OremLK and Ancient Moabite like this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Right, but not all players fit that. And it doesn't really suggest which position a given player typically inhabits and which one they've crossed skills.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That dude's from your neck of the woods. Austin's own, Matthew Mayer. According to some, he's the Rockets' next great player.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is a common and now lazy term to use.....to not go into details.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

FIFY

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Go into details bro lol that's why we're here.

Amen's not the first, certainly not the last. We've been in this "positionless" basketball conversation for ten years and have yet to define any kind of parameter beyond 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Amen is a 1 who plays like a 3. He's a point in a small forward's body. What is that?

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He's going to be the focal point of our offense. If the kid can consistently hit the 3, expect him to be the player we build around. The kid has physical and mental attributes to become the best player drafted by Houston since Hakeem.

jcmoon, beardsanity713, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Guard/Forward doesn't mean much to coaches in the modern era.
    - Your role can change according to a number of strategies contextual to the lineup you are playing against - if you are facing Kristaps at Center, maybe you opt for small ball counter because he isn't a post bruiser
    - .....or you can have different roles on offense than defense - one that has you playing in roles similar to traditional guards while on offense, but playing in roles similar to forwards defensively or vice versa.

The reality is there were a set of tasks that a guards traditionally had and forwards had a distinct set of their own tasks and as players have become more versatile those tasks have been broken up to whatever is most appropriate for the personnel at the time. It's why 6yrs ago, you might have had your biggest most lumbering center in the corner guarding Marcus Smart because you are trying to hide your worst defender on the other team's worst offensive player.

fattz and bmelo like this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I laughed when I read your post then I stopped and was like, actually he might be. He really might be.

edit: Let me say why. I think Scoot Henderson is the real deal and Amen locked him up. His one fault was shooting and that has changed. I’m not saying he’s lights out but he listened to coaching so very clearly and his shot looks far better already in a few months. The raw athleticism paired with being coachable… he might and I’m not laughing at all.

11. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Position isn't about what you do on offense anymore, it's about who you can guard on defense.

Staying competitive against 1s through 4s but specializing more in guarding 2s and 3s makes him a wing.

MultipleSauces likes this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!

The idea is to create as many mismatch as possible and with his size, most point guards are at a disadvantage in size.
    No reason to give that advantage away by playing him at the 3 spot.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is LeBron a point guard or a forward?

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's generally played alongside small "point guards" and only brings up the ball some of the time, but also usually leads his teams in assists and touches the ball on the majority of offensive possessions while he's in the game. He doesn't usually defend smaller, quicker guards. I think the "point forward" descriptor is appropriate.

I think Amen actually will be able to stay with smaller, faster guards. Maybe not the quickest guys like Fox or Morant, but then, most players struggle to keep up with those guys anyway. So I think Amen will be closer to a traditional point guard than LeBron is for that reason.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Very good reasoning. I think the best comp for Amen is Magic, Although, he is not as big, he looks to have the BBIQ, certainly the athleticism, and like Magic, he needs to develop and outside shot. Amen will start off as a better defender as well.

OremLK and BaselineFade like this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Amen will end up being the best point guard the rockets have ever had. On defense’s he’ll be able to defend 4 positions. In my opinion he has the most upside of any player on our roster. I cannot wait to see him in live action in an actual real game. FVV will move off ball when Amen comes in. I think we will see an Amen-FVV backcourt at times this year.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bet you that Amen moves better than VV off the ball too.

18. dmoneybangbang

Point wing if you are that concerned with semantics at this point.

I think his rookie season will mostly be spent getting acclimated to the NBA and learning to initiate and finish offensively.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Magic is one of the best passers of all time. That's a very high bar. I hope Amen will get close if not all the way there.

One of the most devastating thing about the so-called Lake Show in the '80s was their fast breaks. Magic with his size could get the defensive rebound and immediately dribble out. His teammates would already be sprinting up court. He always made the right decisions and resulted in some spectacular finishes.

On defense, Magic is even slower than LeBron on smaller players.

FrontRunner and Corrosion like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member