1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been dead set against the pick, but this guy has so much class and composure. Very impressive.

2. kpdark

kpdark Member

very impressive indeed

Plowman likes this.
  3. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Ahmed tompson has infinite range

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is Amen tattoo-free?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

There's something different about the way Amen carries himself that is refreshing. Seems humble but very confident. Much higher bbiq than I expected. The whole In and Out Burger thing was funny but kind of tells you where his focus is (or isn't). He's a true student of the game. Has leadership qualities. For some reason his interviews and demeanor have me less concerned about his shot. I think he has a very bright future.

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Improving his shot mechanics and just being able to shoot will determine this. That is what it is going to come down to. He's got courtvision, speed, hops, and a high IQ. Dude also has a 7' wingspan with gynormous hands. Plays both ends of the floor and takes defense seriously. The kid will be able to contribute even if he isn't having a good scoring game. This kid has 100% won me over.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

If Cam is 6'7, then Amen is 6'8.

Arnel likes this.
  8. 34to11

34to11 Member

Hard not to be excited about the potential of this backcourt.

Richie_Rich, topfive, xaos and 6 others like this.
  9. 9baller

9baller Member

I'm wondering if it might be best to let him train with the shooting coach for the first quarter or half of the season. This way he isn't reinforcing bad habits. Then, depending on how he progresses, let him get minutes with the Rockets or Vipers.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I see people here are worried about his J but Amen's shot really doesn't bother me at all because I'm avoiding watching video of it. Just pretend the problem doesn't exist and suddenly things are looking good.

xaos, Invisible Fan, burlesk and 4 others like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

My wife is pretty good at that.

12. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Funny you are nicknamed "Christ" and complaining about this specific post.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's undeniable that Amen will be a star player if he develops a 3pt shot. Feels like a big but simple goal. It's really going to depend on his willingness to learn and work hard. We only have some shallow interview-based evidence so far, but I find it hard to believe he will be lazy or uncoachable.

xaos likes this.
  14. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Both measured in at 6'5 75 at the combine without shoes. So close to 6'7 with shoes. But Amen has a 7' wingspan, Cam "only" 6' 85.

I think on paper you couldn't draw a better PG prospect than Amen as far as physicals. Tall enough to cause mismatches and defend at least 1-3 (and probably even a lot of 4s), not many players will be able to shoot over him. Still not so tall that his quickness would suffer. So he has elite size and wingspan and combines that with elite quickness and burst. And to the people saying athleticism doesnt make a good basketball player: true. But there are different kind of athletic traits a player can posess, and I'd argue the ones Amen posesses are all basketball traits (his quickness, not just with the first step, his ability to contort his body, his hangtime, speed, both in line and change of direction).

That's also a reason why I prefered Amen to Ausar. His physicals are off the charts for a PG but just pretty good for a SF. And for me our biggest weakness coming in to the draft was our lack of a PG that can set up his teammates with easy shots - thats Amens biggest strength as far as basketball skills go.

34to11 likes this.
  15. NewAge

NewAge Member

I heard he’s grown 3 inches since the draft. 6’10" now.

burlesk and groovemachine like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

tall as f now :D

groovemachine likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rockets are essentially 5 franchises, each franchise flag store has 1 franchise cornerstone player.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Oh boy dont tell me you're not another religious crusader - ugh #1 my screen name has nothing to do with Christianity and #2 I'm going to love every second of every necro bump this thread has to offer for the years to come Im not complaining at all Im ready for the meme off!

burlesk and Os Trigonum like this.
  19. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Im not. Couldn't care more.
    Just made an observation sire

Of course somebody named "Amen" is a dish full of religious meme possibilities

Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ok cool! for the record its just a play on "christos" which means anointed. No religious connotation other than intended sarcasm/irony that stemmed from some subject matter I was into at the time I chose the screen name.

burlesk likes this.