1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson is Poor Man Ben Simmons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sengun, May 17, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's a fancy prep school system for high end high school prospects similar to IMG academy. Green was actually part of OTE but he left as soon as he graduated high school to join the Gleague.

amaru and peleincubus like this.
  2. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

This is my fear really. There's a mental barrier that will come from being the oldest to being one of the youngest on the court. I don't really see how it's possible to just flip a switch and pretend like there's no difference. It's like playing your little brother and then going to your local rec and playing against grown men.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's weird to me that a 20 year old would play in that. Kinda like sandbagging

Zen Tabak, fchowd0311 and Dobbizzle like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Amen Thompson is gonna be 21 years old 2 months into his rookie season, and he was out here playing against children in a Summer League environment

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Apparently from the articles I read their parents pushed them to do it. Was a bad call IMO, they would have dominated D1, or I don't know if they had an offer, but I would've loved to see them in the G-League.

BTW, the Ben Simmons comp keeps getting thrown out there and it's pretty stupid. Ben Simmons was 17, 9, and 8 on 56% shooting his second year in the league. All-NBA, 3x all-star, 2x all-defensive. I hope Amen Thompson is as good as Ben Simmons was early on his career.

Simmons' problems have nothing to do with his lack of a jump shot. Those are all between the ears (and maybe in his back depending on how legit the injury stuff is).

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

It was originally created a few years ago as a quick significant money grab for talented hs kids or higher profile up and comers. The now approval of NCAA NIL deals completely changed that and that league will be gone sooner rather than later. The momentum of commitments to it have dramatically slowed down and nobody gives af about that league enough to be able to maintain it in the long run now that the avenues for kids to make money before even being a pro is pretty much open season

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think Jalen Green was ever a part of OTE - he went from Prolific Prep straight to the G-League.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's a fancy prep school system for high end high school prospects similar to IMG academy. Green was actually part of OTE but he left as soon as he graduated high school to join the Gleague.
    So Jabari is younger and Green is about to enter his third year and only like 9 months older.

Noob Cake likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's a professional league that was designed to be an alternative to going to college or playing overseas for kids between the ages of 16 and 20. They had backing from people like Jeff Bezos, Kevin Durant, Drake, Trae Young, Devin Booker, etc. I like the concept because there are former NBA players and others involved and they (said they) have a system and facilities put in place to actively coach kids on playing basketball while getting an education. For example, from what I read, if they went to college, they could only practice for a certain number of hours a day/week while at OTE, they can practice and use the facilities whenever they want and can get coaching damn-near around the clock.

Like I said... the concept is interesting, but not sure about the execution.

10. albuster

albuster Member

Unlike what is written beneath your profile name.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if the Sengunatic shoe fits . . .

maj21 likes this.
  12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

What is the point of this thread except more needless negativity?

Denovo likes this.
  13. maj21

maj21 Member

Get Senshit ass outta here!

14. albuster

albuster Member

Yup. Accuse others of what you are guilty of. OK. How dare people call other people names.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m sorry that I hurt your feelings

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

A Ben Simmons with mental fortitude that's not afraid to shoot and is a grinder sounds great actually.

17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen is a elite talent and if Houston draft him he will help our team. He should not start this year, he is a year away because of his shot….he needs to work on his shot. You can teach shooting and dribbling but you cannot teach 1st step, great vision, great passing and a great defender. He is a better passer than Scoot, and he is 6’7 and 212 lbs. Guys, Amen and his brother are playing against oversea professional players not college players…..watch this

Rudyc281 and PatBev like this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ausar Thompson is a poor man's Bill Simmons - the nasally voice, the hackneyed takes, the faux everyman schtick while he owns 17 mansions - it's eerie

19. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Do you recognize any of these 'pros'?

[​IMG]

What did the Thompson's do while playing 'pros'?

[​IMG]

Btw carried by this guy (14/9/3): https://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/75010/malcolm-thomas

And by this guy (16/6/1): https://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/218801/deven-dorsett

Both unranked players who outplayed the Thompson brothers.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Whitmore me please.