1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen, KPJ, and Tari: The big 3 of second units

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PatBev, Jul 9, 2023.

1. PatBev

PatBev Member

I haven’t really seen anyone point out that for at least the next 2 years Amen, KPJ, and Tari will be the guaranteed second unit off the bench until FVV contract runs up and we decide to bench Brooks

I think these 3 off the bench will be what makes Houston a wild card and possible playoff push

If Ime, FVV, and Brooks can turn Jalen, Jabari, and Sengun into a winning starting unit. I think Amen, KPJ, and Tari off the bench will be what pushes us over the tipping point

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're selling Sengun short

maj21 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Way too short given his growth spurt.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

KPJ is the biggest wild card to me.

If he embraces his role off the bench and leaves some of his bad habits behind, this team can take a significant jump next year. The talent is there with KPJ for sure.

roslolian, Bo6, CHAMPBOY and 7 others like this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

If KPJ act right, because he never started on the bench….on any level. We are missing a shot blocker starting on the bench not Landham

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Don't forget Alperen.

maj21 likes this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Tari and Amen should be starters.

Stephen_A likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

OS Trig ingratiating himself to the SOFs! :eek:

Or is he antagonizing them? Hard to tell. :D

Corrosion, Dobbizzle and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We do need 11-12 good players though. Too lengthy a season plus in season tournament.

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

KPJ wasn’t a starter in Cleveland and only started 3 games his rookie year. I think KPJ is just grateful to be in the league with a new contract. The contract he agreed to suggests this as there were prob few suitors at the time.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Who says Tari is part of the 2nd unit? ;)

GotGame15 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Why? Bit presumptuous to think we will hold on to all.

Plowman likes this.
  13. OremLK

OremLK Member

OP has a good point--our bench last season was mostly (aside from Tari) comprised of players who would have been third-stringers on a good team. Adding FVV pushes KPJ to the bench, and adding Amen gives the bench a real point guard so KPJ can play his ideal role in the NBA which is as a scorer.

Don't sleep on Landale either, he's a clear upgrade over Garuba for backup center and is at least a solid-average bench big.

I don't know if we're going to have a great bench, that will largely depend on how player development goes and how KPJ responds to his new role. But it should at least be a major improvement over what we had.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My guess is they ultimately land the defensive, rim running big they have big targeting, as the long term starting center, while Sengun runs then bench unit.

maj21 likes this.
  15. PatBev

PatBev Member

Yes but unfortunately/fortunately FVV and Brooks will force them off the bench with KPJ

Our bench could actually be one of our greatest strengths next season

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Possible this ends up happening at the trade deadline if Sengun doesn't live up to expectations.

I hope they will at least give him until the deadline to start and get plenty of touches. FVV is a great fit to bring up the ball/initiate while allowing Sengun to handle the ball in many/most half-court plays, similar to the Murray/Jokic dynamic.

If we can test it out for a good chunk of the season, we'll be able to put this question to rest once and for all. In the end, Sengun will either prove his boosters correct or he will end up being a bench player.

Easy likes this.
  17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

When you look at our projected starting 5 for 2023/24 vs the top teams, we really don't come close. No way we should expect to at this point.

But when you compare our 2nd unit (bench) vs other teams, especially those top heavy ones like the Suns, Mavs, Lakers, ect..., we might seriously make them suffer when they start substituting.

So Saith Red, topfive, Y2JT and 4 others like this.
  18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I believe he is competing for touches in the starting unit.

Give him the keys to the bench and let him hub. Should be all the opportunity he needs.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No worries. I think we have about 12 franchise players.

IvanLCPM, cbass, Os Trigonum and 3 others like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you consider them a 2, 3, 4 those three are probably better than the "starters" with Amen being the wild card.